Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 11:22 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I buy and flip government vehicles I have bought at auction from time to time. Seems like I will be making a lot of money off of Biden's plan.
Are you sure they'll auction them and keep them on the road? Or junk them? Remember Obama's plan where all those older vehicles got junked for cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 11:24 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Biden has been President for exactly eight days. Give the man a chance!
He's already done more good in a few days than Trump has in 4 years. (not to mention playing less golf, and complaining that other people are playing too much golf when that's really himself)

Old 01-28-2021, 01:39 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well it’ll have to be a Tesla or the Chevy Bolt. Those are the only options right now.

There are at least nine makers.https://blog.consumerguide.com/electric-car-companies/
Ford makes the Fusion which can be gas or electric or hybrid. I love it.
GM and Nissan.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Wait....there is more from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Why don't you want to tell the COMPLETE story???

Solar Photovoltaic installers: 50% growth......Total number 12,000 employees

Wind Turbine Service Technicians: 60% growth....Total number 7,000 employees

Operators oil and gas: 30% growth.....Total number 145,000 employees in extraction, 1.5 MILLION total in industry.

Coal Industry extraction.......Total number 142,000 employees in extraction.

Source: Fastest growing occupations:U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Oh, BTW......we CANNOT put a man or woman on the moon. The US Government cannot even put a human into low earth orbit.

How does "green technology" put a man on the moon.

Don't worry, the Chinese will be there soon. In the meantime we will be building our infrastructure of 11th century technology. WINDMILLS.

If we already put a man on the moon then why don't we have a cure for cancer?

Old 01-28-2021, 09:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
President Joe Biden said today that the U.S. federal government would replace its fleet of vehicles with electric vehicles. “The federal government also owns an enormous fleet of vehicles, which we're going to replace with clean electric vehicles made right here in America, by American workers."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...224800214.html
Lol. WHERE THE F IS ALL THIS MONEY COMING FROM?

Replacing a complete fleet of vehicles in a huge country isn’t just the vehicles. You have the support those vehicles need. You’re talking millions of dollars worth of parts and material to maintain those cars that are not needed for electric cars or simply cannot be used for electric cars.
Not to mention the cost of building the charging stations for a complete total fleet change from various type of fuels to one type of “fuel”
Let’s not forget the complete retraining of ALL the mechanics, shop support personnel, parts catalogs/computers/ ordering system, tools, supply and parts, and the traini got those people for the new parts system.

Not to mention there aren’t enough cars to just go and switch a whole fleet. And all those cars that are currenty in service?

If this wasn’t sad I would be laughing. I’m sure Elon and Ford and whoever else makes electric cars are all laughing their butt off right about now. Electric car manufacturer Owners eyes are doing that cartoon rolling jackpot machine tilt spin with dollar signs.

Well he hasn’t really set a date. So it’s all just blowing hot air right now. Wait till the tally comes in on how much it’s gonna cost to replace 650,000 cars a d the infrastructure

Old 01-28-2021, 09:42 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol. WHERE THE F IS ALL THIS MONEY COMING FROM?

Replacing a complete fleet of vehicles in a huge country isn’t just the vehicles. You have the support those vehicles need. You’re talking millions of dollars worth of parts and material to maintain those cars that are not needed for electric cars or simply cannot be used for electric cars.
Not to mention the cost of building the charging stations for a complete total fleet change from various type of fuels to one type of “fuel”
Let’s not forget the complete retraining of ALL the mechanics, shop support personnel, parts catalogs/computers/ ordering system, tools, supply and parts, and the traini got those people for the new parts system.

Not to mention there aren’t enough cars to just go and switch a whole fleet. And all those cars that are currenty in service?

If this wasn’t sad I would be laughing. I’m sure Elon and Ford and whoever else makes electric cars are all laughing their butt off right about now. Electric car manufacturer Owners eyes are doing that cartoon rolling jackpot machine tilt spin with dollar signs.

Well he hasn’t really set a date. So it’s all just blowing hot air right now. Wait till the tally comes in on how much it’s gonna cost to replace 650,000 cars a d the infrastructure
The federal 'fleet' are vehicles replaced about every 3 years or so. Usually around 80,000 miles. So when one vehicle ages out- it get's replaced with an EV. The feds don't generally have a 'motor pool'. The cars get serviced at shops and dealerships. It's not some 'gargantuan' spending bill and trashing what's in the fleet now 100% with EV.. As one ages out GSA replaces it with another vehicle. EV or hybrid.

I'm surprised of your reaction, actually.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The federal 'fleet' are vehicles replaced about every 3 years or so. Usually around 80,000 miles. So when one vehicle ages out- it get's replaced with an EV. The feds don't generally have a 'motor pool'. The cars get serviced at shops and dealerships. It's not some 'gargantuan' spending bill and trashing what's in the fleet now 100% with EV.. As one ages out GSA replaces it with another vehicle. EV or hybrid.

Yes I know it’s not a let’s buy 600,000 EV and swap everything at once. But lots of ICE cars in fleets get kept past their “sell by “ date due to costs.

Dude....I work for the state government. Granted it’s not federal but I interact with federal. And when I was self employed I did a lot of government structures. I drive right by a motor pool. I’m surprised at YOUR reaction. You’re generalizing too much. I have friends who work for the federal government. It’s not all as cut and dried as you make it.

Either way there will be a additional cost to switching to a all electric fleet. Even if it’s over three years span in time you’re still looking at 200,000 cars per year being swapped out of you use your three year obsolescence. Then building the electrical infrastructure to charge all those vehicles. It’s still a ton of money any way you look at it

Old 01-29-2021, 04:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

We've got several that have way over 80K.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
During the Obama administration the government bought thousands of Chevy Volts, and when it came time for those cars to be sold, it was found that most of them only had a lifetime MPG of about 35, which is terrible. What that means is that NONE of those federal employees ever bothered to plug them in, they just drove around using gas all the time. The feds would have been better off buying Chevy Cruzes.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:52 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Wait....there is more from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Why don't you want to tell the COMPLETE story???

Solar Photovoltaic installers: 50% growth......Total number 12,000 employees

Wind Turbine Service Technicians: 60% growth....Total number 7,000 employees

Operators oil and gas: 30% growth.....Total number 145,000 employees in extraction, 1.5 MILLION total in industry.

Coal Industry extraction.......Total number 142,000 employees in extraction.

Source: Fastest growing occupations:U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Oh, BTW......we CANNOT put a man or woman on the moon. The US Government cannot even put a human into low earth orbit.

How does "green technology" put a man on the moon.

Don't worry, the Chinese will be there soon. In the meantime we will be building our infrastructure of 11th century technology. WINDMILLS.

You're right, we do have more people working in the fossil fuel industry for now, Green energy is in its infancy. That doesn't mean it isn't the wave of the future. I probably won't see it but 50 years from now, the planet will be vastly different. I loved talking to John's grandmother who went from Model T's to flying. I remember dreaming about the day when you could be anywhere and talk on a phone without it being connected to anything, and here we are.

Technology is fantastic, embrace it. It makes all of our lives easier. Why wouldn't anyone want the same for a clean and healthy planet?

None of this is going to happen over night. It will be a gradual change, and yes, we have a lot of wind farms here. That's something you didn't see 10 years ago. Neither was those solar panels I'm seeing popping up on roofs in our village. Research who is the leading manufacturer of solar panels. Hint, it isn't us. Why not?

Putting a man on the moon with green energy? Who knows in 100 years. I just wish I could be here to see it. I full faith that the green technology will advance and be efficient. I would love to have an electric car when the technology advances to make long road trips and short charging feasible. It's coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living