U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,571,291 times
Your eating too many carbs and calories perhaps ... milk, water, coffee, tea, perhaps caffeine, lack of sleep, water weight and sugar as well as whole fat milk. I have a friend who only eats organic, white meat and veggies and he is sick all the time, he lacks sleep and does not exercise regularly, it's about a balance of diet and personal habits and hygiene, for healthy living, honestly cage-free nonorganic eggs may be no better or no worse than organic caged eggs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,121 times
I suggest you watch Food Inc. if you want a grossly realistic look at where your food is coming from. I would much rather eat a free range chicken that is exposed to sunlight and isn't genetically engineered to have breasts so large that it can only take a few steps before it flops down on its face in its own feces and never sees the light of day. The beef you buy at the supermarket comes from cows that eat corn, a cheap agricultural US commodity, rather than the grass that they are supposed to be eating (in evolutionary terms). If cows were fed grass rather than corn, the E. coli (does o157h7 ring a bell?) in their gut could be reduced by 80%. This is what you're consuming. These are only two of the million reasons why eating organic is better for you than than buying whats on the shelves in your supermarket. I guarantee that gaining a few pounds is much less detrimental to your health than the chemicals you were putting in your body before you made the switch.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 AM

8,294 posts, read 14,035,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lriggin1 View Post
I suggest you watch Food Inc. if you want a grossly realistic look at where your food is coming from. I would much rather eat a free range chicken that is exposed to sunlight and isn't genetically engineered to have breasts so large that it can only take a few steps before it flops down on its face in its own feces and never sees the light of day. The beef you buy at the supermarket comes from cows that eat corn, a cheap agricultural US commodity, rather than the grass that they are supposed to be eating (in evolutionary terms). If cows were fed grass rather than corn, the E. coli (does o157h7 ring a bell?) in their gut could be reduced by 80%. This is what you're consuming. These are only two of the million reasons why eating organic is better for you than than buying whats on the shelves in your supermarket. I guarantee that gaining a few pounds is much less detrimental to your health than the chemicals you were putting in your body before you made the switch.
And I can guarantee you that you should become more educated about actual farming practices, than just believing everything in some stupid agenda-driven Hollywood produced movie.

Of course, you're always free to pay 4x as much money for food that is labeled organic, but you have absolutely no way of knowing if it really is organic. Be my guest.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM

260 posts, read 354,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lriggin1 View Post
great suggestion! most people are completely unaware of what goes on in agribusiness. an even better suggestion is to go vegan as this upcoming movie recommends:
Forks Over Knives – The Official Movie Website

Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,000,899 times
any one living in the northern climes that "goes vegan" is committing themselves to big agribusiness and processed (albeit veggie) foodstuffs! Mother Earth was simply not meant to produce vegetable matter that is human consumable in the snow zone. If you want to eat twigs and acorns like the deer do (and subsequently some starve every winter) then be my guest. I will eat local, eat organic when I can, and eat what is seasonally available as nature intended.

BTW I get all my eggs from a local farm, four seasons.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 PM

4,671 posts, read 8,870,804 times
This post is almost 2 years old...

Omaha, do you think that organic is a farce?

I am under the impression that to be organic something has to follow NOP standards and be certified organic by a certifier who is accredited by the USDA... such as QAI?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM

6,672 posts, read 5,387,207 times
Each of our bodies are a little different, I suppose. Personally, I find that I tend to drop pounds when I eat more grains and breads and less of other things, which suits me fine because I could live on oatmeal, bread, corn, barley, wheat, etc--love the stuff. Personally, I believe it's more in how much you eat, not so much what you eat. If I'm gaining weight, I move more and eat less--I don't really change the types of things I'm eating. I like to keep it simple. It's always worked for me: move more, eat less.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 PM

771 posts, read 234,048 times
Calories in, calories out. The end for 99.9999999% of the human population.

If you desire more specific change that pure weight loss(body re-composition via muscle mass, for eg) this can get a little(but not much) more complicated. Here, high protein (at least 1 gram per pound of LBM) becomes more important.

Organic food isn't making you fat, too many calories are.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:54 PM

771 posts, read 234,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
And I can guarantee you that you should become more educated about actual farming practices, than just believing everything in some stupid agenda-driven Hollywood produced movie.

Of course, you're always free to pay 4x as much money for food that is labeled organic, but you have absolutely no way of knowing if it really is organic. Be my guest.
True, skepticism is important. And true, we're putting faith in both the farmers as well as the government regulators to assume that these people are indeed following the outlined procedures required of an organic label. But alas, I think it's worth it; the farmers have no incentive to risk losing their organic label and subsequently ruining their business once word gets out.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM

8,294 posts, read 14,035,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
This post is almost 2 years old...

Omaha, do you think that organic is a farce?

I am under the impression that to be organic something has to follow NOP standards and be certified organic by a certifier who is accredited by the USDA... such as QAI?
To a large degree, yes. Not because it's wrong or a bad idea, but because of other factors.

First of all, the idea that all non-organic meat & produce is stuffed full of steroids, chemicals, anti-biotics, etc. is absurd. It isn't.

Second, some of the Genetically Modified Seed - what people are so terrified by - isn't about what is added to the seed, but what was removed. For instance, an obsure amino acid that reacts to RoundUp and kills the plant was removed from RoundUp Ready seeds. Those seeds simply are not stuffed full of mutant genes, as some people believe.

Third, not everything claiming to be organic is organic. Just last summer, one of my sons stopped by a "Neighborhood Farmers Market" up in Minneapolis. Tables full of "fresh home grown garden produce." But when I looked in their vans & pickups, all of them were filled with produce boxes - the exact same ones you see at pretty much any grocery store. All those people did was went to a grocery wholesaler & got their stuff. For what it's worth, the people were all Asian - so it's entirely possible that they really don't understand was organic is supposed to be. But even so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living