Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 05:25 PM

1,381 posts, read 732,226 times

Advertisements

If the climate is indeed changing I might have something to do with the crazy guy in North Korea blowing up ballistic missiles into the Pacific Ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 12:39 PM

14,582 posts, read 14,623,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

After 52 years of Earth Day, can you say you live any differently, dress any differently, garden any differently, eat any differently now than you did 52 yrs ago due to "climate change?"
Yes, due to my location, absolutely yes, in all the areas mentioned and more. The climate changes have happened relatively rapidly in geological terms where I live and they are still happening. Accordingly over the past 50 years I have had to adjust and am still adjusting to climate changes as they continue to happen more rapidly with each progressive year where I live.

Guido, I think it's hard for you to relate to any of it and are resistant because you just do not yet have any noticeable climate changes happening where you live in a sheltered location. Because of your centrally sheltered geographical location, you are living in a geographically oblivious sheltered limbo land for the time being where time is standing still for you.

If you aren't experiencing any extreme climate changes where you live, that doesn't mean that the extreme changes are not happening elsewhere. Perhaps it's time for you to make yourself aware of the changes that are happening in other parts of the world around you that are not sheltered limbo lands like your own geographical location.

If you don't take yourself out of the state of mental oblivion and become aware of and prepared to adjust to what is actually currently happening outside your own sphere of existence then it could destroy you and everything you love. It will come all the harder and more physically shocking for you when a climate dome of one kind or another eventually swoops in and parks itself directly over top of your sheltered lala land location and stays there on top of you instead of moving on.

Where I live it happened here 3 times last year, it happened so suddenly that there were over 660 people (mostly older people like yourself) who died from just one event alone because they weren't prepared for it, didn't know what to do and didn't have warning or time to adjust. All they could do was just sit there and suffer and die. The flora, fauna, marine life and agricultural crops that were wiped out was unimaginable.

I really think you need to stop ignoring such events that are happening in other places and then denying that they are happening. You do yourself and everyone else a great disservice by being in such denial.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:32 PM

67,405 posts, read 59,887,354 times
When I was growing up in the 1970s, we were taught in school that we were experiencing a global cooling and another Ice Age was within our probable life times. Now it's been transformed to the phrase "climate change." I just think that's interesting.

Maybe that's one reason why there are so many people who are skeptical of global warming. Many, many people heard and were even taught the opposite for many many years.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:37 PM

22,601 posts, read 17,849,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, due to my location, absolutely yes, in all the areas mentioned and more. The climate changes have happened relatively rapidly in geological terms where I live and they are still happening. Accordingly over the past 50 years I have had to adjust and am still adjusting to climate changes as they continue to happen more rapidly with each progressive year where I live.

Guido, I think it's hard for you to relate to any of it and are resistant because you just do not yet have any noticeable climate changes happening where you live in a sheltered location. Because of your centrally sheltered geographical location, you are living in a geographically oblivious sheltered limbo land for the time being where time is standing still for you.

If you aren't experiencing any extreme climate changes where you live, that doesn't mean that the extreme changes are not happening elsewhere. Perhaps it's time for you to make yourself aware of the changes that are happening in other parts of the world around you that are not sheltered limbo lands like your own geographical location.

If you don't take yourself out of the state of mental oblivion and become aware of and prepared to adjust to what is actually currently happening outside your own sphere of existence then it could destroy you and everything you love. It will come all the harder and more physically shocking for you when a climate dome of one kind or another eventually swoops in and parks itself directly over top of your sheltered lala land location and stays there on top of you instead of moving on.

Where I live it happened here 3 times last year, it happened so suddenly that there were over 660 people (mostly older people like yourself) who died from just one event alone because they weren't prepared for it, didn't know what to do and didn't have warning or time to adjust. All they could do was just sit there and suffer and die. The flora, fauna, marine life and agricultural crops that were wiped out was unimaginable.

I really think you need to stop ignoring such events that are happening in other places and then denying that they are happening. You do yourself and everyone else a great disservice by being in such denial.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I also live in an area that has been experiencing significant changes in climate. All I need to do is take a good look around. The evidence is everywhere. Coastal erosion due to sea level change, seawater contamination of freshwater aquifers, increase in intensity of storm events, permafrost melt and associated wetland loss, release of sequestered carbon and greenhouse gases, collapse of marine food webs due to temperature and chemical changes and subsequent starvation of marine mammals and birds, damage to man made infrastructure, northward invasion of diseases and nonnative animals and plants, hydrological changes due to snow/icefield failures, changes in albedo and consequences from that, the list goes on and on and on. This was just an off-the-top-of-my-head smattering of effects more noticeable at latitudes I've lived at.

People can rant and rave and point fingers about how much of that change is being driven by human activity all they want, but changing it is. The fallout from that change has massive implications for all planetary life. Much of it won't adjust fast enough to survive it. Humans are dependent on a lot of that life. To continue to deny the change and continue to carry on as usual seems idiotic.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-24-2022 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 04:02 PM

7,022 posts, read 3,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Greenland Ice Sheet is melting due to pollution accumulating on its surface, which causes differential melting, resulting in a Swiss cheese effect that sends meltwater down through the sheet, increasing the amount of water destabilizing and moving the sheet from underneath. This was captured on time-lapse film and included in a feature documentary a couple of decades ago, perhaps even in the late 90's. Of course, increased temps at the surface increase the melt rate at which the process is taking place.
From what source did you copy/paste the above?

At any rate, Greenland's ice sheet is not melting any faster today than it was 80+ years ago.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 04-24-2022 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 04:05 PM

Climate policy is ultimately an economic question:
  • How much does climate change hurt?
  • How much do various policy ideas actually help?
  • What do they cost?

You don't have to agree or disagree with the IPCC reports to disagree with climate policy that doesn't make economic sense. "Spend some money now - or accept reduced incomes through holding back on carbon emissions - in order to mitigate climate change thereby providing a better future economy"

The best guesses of the economic impact of climate changer are surprisingly small. The UN's IPCC finds that a large temperature rise of 3.66 degrees C by 2100 means a loss of 2.6% of global GDP. Even with outrageous assumptions, models struggle to get to a 5% reduction in GDP by 2100 with no mitigation efforts whatsoever.

To put that in perspective, climate change means that in 2100, if we do nothing at all between now and then, people will live at what 2097 levels of GDP would be if climate change were to magically disappear tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2022, 04:32 PM

22,601 posts, read 17,849,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Climate policy is ultimately an economic question:
  • How much does climate change hurt?
  • How much do various policy ideas actually help?
  • What do they cost?

You don't have to agree or disagree with the IPCC reports to disagree with climate policy that doesn't make economic sense. "Spend some money now - or accept reduced incomes through holding back on carbon emissions - in order to mitigate climate change thereby providing a better future economy"

The best guesses of the economic impact of climate changer are surprisingly small. The UN's IPCC finds that a large temperature rise of 3.66 degrees C by 2100 means a loss of 2.6% of global GDP. Even with outrageous assumptions, models struggle to get to a 5% reduction in GDP by 2100 with no mitigation efforts whatsoever.

To put that in perspective, climate change means that in 2100, if we do nothing at all between now and then, people will live at what 2097 levels of GDP would be if climate change were to magically disappear tomorrow.
Um, several million other species would argue there's a lot more at stake here than human comfort...

Old 04-24-2022, 04:56 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,208,366 times
Quote:
At any rate, Greenland's ice sheet is not melting any faster today than it was 80+ years ago.
Quote:
The UN's IPCC finds that a large temperature rise of 3.66 degrees C by 2100 means a loss of 2.6% of global GDP. Even with outrageous assumptions, models struggle to get to a 5% reduction in GDP by 2100 with no mitigation efforts whatsoever.
This poster asked for a reference but then feels no need to provide any??

You really need to back this up with a reference. (genuine curiosity could be right.. but I would like to know where this came from ... thanks)

Last edited by waltcolorado; 04-24-2022 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 05:08 PM

7,092 posts, read 4,900,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, due to my location, absolutely yes, in all the areas mentioned and more.
No need to argue about it. Take your pick- https://duckduckgo.com/?t=avast&q=pn...ce+1900&ia=web

This one is a good summary of a recent paper in the PNAS https://www.cato.org/blog/new-resear...ific-northwest

Natural variability.

When your conifer forests change to deciduous or grassland, then we'll talk about climite change. Until then, it's just natural cycles of weather.

When you're dieting to lose weight, do you use a bathroom scale accurate to mgs, or is kgs good enough?...What exactly does a change of 0.013 deg/yr mean?

Old 04-24-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Um, several million other species would argue there's a lot more at stake here than human comfort...
I didn't mention comfort. I discussed economic impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living