U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 AM

27,994 posts, read 46,352,092 times

Advertisements

BUSKIRK, N.Y. - A few years ago, Kathleen Breault was just another suburban grandma, driving countless hours every week, stopping for lunch at McDonald's, buying clothes at the mall, watching TV in the evenings.

Energy survivalists prepare for crisis - Environment - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 04:40 AM

329 posts, read 941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BUSKIRK, N.Y. - A few years ago, Kathleen Breault was just another suburban grandma, driving countless hours every week, stopping for lunch at McDonald's, buying clothes at the mall, watching TV in the evenings.

Energy survivalists prepare for crisis - Environment - MSNBC.com
I'm all for being prepared for shortages (food, fuel, etc)....but I think that some people may be taking it to an extreme. The future may not be what we expect (is it ever)....but it's a sign of our fast-paced, gimmie-gimmie attitude that Americans, in general, have. I don't know that stocking up on rice and flour (the new trend from a few weeks ago) is the answer....but we should all be as self-sufficient as possible....and tread as lightly as possible....

unfortunately, our society has been raised that we don't need to be nice to one another (obviously, a major generalization here)....but just look how drivers on the freeway on the way to work treat each other....the birds seem to be flying alot lately....as do the potty-mouth words.

I would like to "homestead" on some level...but I don't know that I would go to the extreme of stockpiling and such. Maybe I'm more optimistic than most (maybe I'm flat wrong)...but that's what this forum is about, right? Discussion!

Old 05-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Better safe than sorry. It never hurts to be prepared. It will never go to waste.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,691,966 times
I saw that article too. Is that really going to happen? Because I can't rough it. I've never even been camping. I'm all for buying local and using public transportation but I like city life. So is this going to be a reality or are these "survivalists" just a bit nuts? I think it's a little paranoid. They're planning for the worst, buying guns to protect themselves, and already saying that they're going to have to protect their property. I think it's a little morbid to basically start planning to shoot people who come onto your property to steal food in a time of crisis. Maybe that's the reality when the time comes but planning for it just seems a bit mean. Anyway, does anyone know the likelihood of what they're saying actually happening?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,130,579 times
If you don't plan for the future what will you do if it happens?

Last edited by Maine Writer; 05-25-2008 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: changed when to if.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:44 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,581,981 times
This has been going on for decades. This is not news. There's hundreds of survivalists in Southern Oregon. Same infor back in the 70's during the oil crisis. Same thing in the sixties when hippies went back to the land. Same thing in the 80's, 90's and now. This writer is only dredging up something that's been spewed out numerous times over the decades.

Big deal.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,010,458 times
Survivalism isn't new. I think people are scared. As we see the prices of everything go up, it gets easier to envision a time when some of us won't have enough to eat, or a place to live. The transportation infrastructure is built on cheap fuel. There may be a "tipping point" beyond which food and other basics aren't readily available. Survivalists do have the right idea of not expecting the government to come to the rescue.

I'm not in a position to move, but living in what is essentially a desert isn't the brightest idea. I have stocked up on water and some canned goods, but since I live in earthquake country, that's a good idea, anyway.

As for guns, my son still lives at home. Even though he's 19 years old, I don't want a gun in the house if he's here. I'm not worried about him, but possibly his friends. Besides, unless one is willing to stockpile a lot of guns and ammo, and basically build up an arsenal, this doesn't offer much protection.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,691,966 times
I was so freaked out by that article that I asked my dad what he thought and he said that if the oil situation really became that dire the government could have hundreds of nuclear power plants up and running within weeks or months. That may not be the best solution but now I feel pretty confident that the government would provide some source of energy even if it had a negative environmental impact. And, I'm sorry, but if the energy situation got to the point those survivalists seem to think it will, I don't think I'll care about whether the solutions are environmentally friendly.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:44 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,538,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I was so freaked out by that article that I asked my dad what he thought and he said that if the oil situation really became that dire the government could have hundreds of nuclear power plants up and running within weeks or months. That may not be the best solution but now I feel pretty confident that the government would provide some source of energy even if it had a negative environmental impact. And, I'm sorry, but if the energy situation got to the point those survivalists seem to think it will, I don't think I'll care about whether the solutions are environmentally friendly.
I think the U.S. already has the ability to make cars that run on hydrogen, etc. When it really affects our economy then the government will do something, after all, if we can't get to work, then things happen.

As for me I had my husband put in a wood stove this year, not because of the crisis but because I wanted a cheaper gas bill. When we bought a home I wanted to pay cash for it so we could make it, and then I wanted to live in town in case I needed to walk to the store. I knew that gas was going up, and even living in town we use a lot more than before, but the idea of living in the country, which we preferred, didn't seem like a good idea in retirement and with gas prices.

I got those curly bulbs also. But what more to do I don't know. Time will tell. Wish we had solar panels as well.

I have always loved survival stories, maybe it is out of fear that I may have to survive someday without modern conviences.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,555,612 times
There's nothing wrong with being more self-sufficient, so at least the efforts are going towards something positive.

I'd like to think that we aren't in for rougher times ahead, but everything tells me otherwise .

The current issues surrounding food (shortages, rising prices, etc.) are probably not temporary. We may see things get better, then worse, then better again, but the trend will probably be that food prices will continue to rise and we might see far less choices of fresh produce available in the future. So learning to grow one's own food is a prudent choice, I think.

There is a learning curve to growing vegetables and herbs, it's not just throwing some seeds on the ground. Seeds themselves may be harder to obtain in the future, so learning how to collect and store seeds might prove to be a worthy skill as well.

Stockpiling food is a temporary fix and has flaws (someone can come along and steal it from you, can't they ?). Being self-sufficient and growing your own food empowers you.

Do we all need to run for the hills? I don't think so. If you're already in the country, stay in the country. If you're in the city, stay in the city. Wherever you are, become more self-sufficient .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or