Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are enviornmental protection actions useful?
Useful, saves the earth 21 36.21%
Neutral 9 15.52%
Feel-good virtue signallin 19 32.76%
Creates more problems than it solves 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 11:30 AM

23,237 posts, read 13,522,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The problem is that we all have normalized single use plastics. We are ALL addicted to plastic... be it old folks or young'uns.

I think everyone should watch a current documentary about the plastics pollution in our oceans and seas. And when you see the enormity of the problem (and it just gets worse every year), you either get it... or you don't (care).

Cities in Canada are currently passing bylaws banning the common plastic shopping bags. You won't even be able to buy them for $.05. This will **** a lot of ppl off... but guess what? Eventually it will become normal to carry reusable bags with you.

I think well made cotton reusable and easily laundered bags should work for a lot of ppl. It would be similar to doing a wash of clothes.

We all have to start somewhere. A journey of a million steps starts with the 1st one. Change our culture to one of conservation instead of entitlement.

Of course, the pandemic didn't help when we tried to get rid of plastic shopping bags......so is there another approach? An automatic laundry when you enter the store so when you are checking out, your bags are ready and clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 11:36 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,120,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Of course, the pandemic didn't help when we tried to get rid of plastic shopping bags......so is there another approach? An automatic laundry when you enter the store so when you are checking out, your bags are ready and clean?
How about just washing them at home before heading to the grocery? It's easy enough to put them in with a load of kitchen linens. I do it every week.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
How about just washing them at home before heading to the grocery? It's easy enough to put them in with a load of kitchen linens. I do it every week.
But the grocery doesn't know that. They don't know where those bags had been, what they had touched, when they were last cleaned. So they err'd on the side of caution (especially when you consider that their people are handling the food supply for all) and said use our untouched by unknown hands bags.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:47 AM

10,766 posts, read 7,103,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've always wondered why we don't have a solution for the sewn recyclable bags you buy at checkout counters so we aren't creating even more waste. One way that I think we could do that is to recycle our outdated clothes into bags. A lot of perfectly good, but outdated clothing gets given to thrift stores. My understanding is that it is either resold or is passed further and further down a chain until it ends up as waste dumped somewhere. How much effort would it be to create a machine where you could lay out a shirt or a pair of jeans, etc. The machine would cut the old garment into predetermined pattern pieces and then those pieces would be resewn into appropriate reusable bags. There may be one person who needs to man it depending on the capabilities of the machine or in case of breakdown. You as a consumer would use these bags until you needed new ones.

The plastic like sewn bags that you buy at checkout counters have always bothered me. Sure, you get more than one use out of them, but they are still limited use and often don't last very long. I think a bag properly sewn out of certain fabrics would have a longer lifespan and would give longer life to a material that is destined for the waste heap.
I "refashion" clothes; I take used clothing (either my own or from a thrift store) and cut it up and remake it into new clothes or other articles.
It's a fussy technique. Every garment is different in style and size and flaws, so you have to create from scratch every time. A machine can't do that. Even when they're making a whole bunch of identical clothes in a factory, there are humans manipulating the garment at every step.

Also, most clothing isn't made up of pieces big enough to make bags. A dress or skirt might work, or the backs of a couple of shirts. Tee shirts are too stretchy to make good bags. Pants might make cute small totes, but then you're putting your groceries where somebody's crotch used to be. The legs might work better, but would have to be pieced together, not a "machine" doable job.

Maybe AI could be developed to handle this... but people in 3rd world countries work so cheap, it's not economical to bother with that sort of thing. oh, look, maybe that's part of the problem. If third-world people weren't stitching for incredibly low wages, clothing would cost a lot more. First-world folks wouldn't treat it as disposable; they would buy fewer garments and keep them longer.
So it's all the fault of third-world workers!

-----

I agree about those sort of fused plastic "sewn" bags they sell; they aren't real strong, and disintegrate too quickly. But they are often cute and can be used for toting all kinds of stuff. I've collected Trader Joe's bags from several states.

Even worse are the all-plastic reusable bags; I got a couple in California two years ago. They are just much heavier plastic, using more resources. The ones I got are ugly, a dirty green (must be recycled plastic). I feel obliged to keep them, even though I don't like them or have a use for them because I make my own cloth bags, most often from fabric I buy used at garage sales.

----
While I'm nattering on and on about sewing-related stuff...
I'm amazed at how much fabric yardage costs compared to the cost of fast fashion. I cannot buy fabric to make a garment cheaper than I can buy the finished garment at a chain store. It used to be cheaper to make your own clothing, now it's more expensive. weird.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
But the grocery doesn't know that. They don't know where those bags had been, what they had touched, when they were last cleaned. So they err'd on the side of caution (especially when you consider that their people are handling the food supply for all) and said use our untouched by unknown hands bags.
I have always been permitted to use my own bags when shopping, even throughout the pandemic.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I have always been permitted to use my own bags when shopping, even throughout the pandemic.
Not me! At the height when only a certain number of people were let in, they told me No.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Not me! At the height when only a certain number of people were let in, they told me No.
That's a real bummer.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
That's a real bummer.
Sure is but it brings up the point of if we out law plastic bags and tell people to supply their own but then a pandemic makes the use of those owned reusable bags prohibited.......what do we do then? Admittedly, if that were to happen, again, it does sound like typical government efficiency.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 550,142 times
Quote:
Sure is but it brings up the point of if we out law plastic bags and tell people to supply their own but then a pandemic makes the use of those owned reusable bags prohibited.......what do we do then? Admittedly, if that were to happen, again, it does sound like typical government efficiency.
They will NOT prohibit reusable bags.

They may have in your State at the beginning because they thought that surface spread was viable. Now they know that it's a tiny risk.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
They will NOT prohibit reusable bags.

They may have in your State at the beginning because they thought that surface spread was viable. Now they know that it's a tiny risk.

For THAT pandemic, yes.......but what about the next one where they don't know?

Never say never for that's a fool's folly; instead, figure out how to handle it if the what if happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living