Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 12:23 PM

19,241 posts, read 22,201,576 times

Advertisements

https://www.protoolreviews.com/john-...e-partnership/

Quote:
The two brands announced a partnership that would enable John Deere dealers to sell EGO-branded battery products. Not only this, but they also intend to collaborate on future product development.
I have Ego equipment- 4 tools now. They’re awesome. No more gas, oil, tune ups- just recharge and go. This is good news- I see better equipment ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 09:36 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,456,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
https://www.protoolreviews.com/john-...e-partnership/

I have Ego equipment- 4 tools now. They’re awesome. No more gas, oil, tune ups- just recharge and go. This is good news- I see better equipment ahead.
Yeah. I’m looking to get in to the Ego suite of tools. The mowers can share batteries with the snow blowers, from what I’ve read. I have a Kawasaki professional grade trimmer and a great but aging Hitachi leaf blower; both gas. I also have a great Honda finish mower and a Toro mx zero turn. I also have an Ariens 11.5 hp snow blower that just won’t quit. It’s hard to switch at the moment, but as soon as I need new tools I’ll likely go with the Egos.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:05 AM

I have a push mower, string trimmer, chainsaw and a 'leaf' blower. The string trimmer is really awesome- it features a line feed that is incredibly designed. No more fighting with hand wrapping the head. The only fault I've seen is the leaf blower. I use it to clear snow here (we don't have wet heavy snow- very light and easy to blow off cars and walks). I experience some electrical shock when blowing snow- the snow can get sucked into the air intake and the grounding strap on the handle isn't enough to overcome it. Just have to wear heavier gloves, lol.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:47 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,456,676 times
Quote:
I have a push mower, string trimmer, chainsaw and a 'leaf' blower. The string trimmer is really awesome- it features a line feed that is incredibly designed. No more fighting with hand wrapping the head. The only fault I've seen is the leaf blower. I use it to clear snow here (we don't have wet heavy snow- very light and easy to blow off cars and walks). I experience some electrical shock when blowing snow- the snow can get sucked into the air intake and the grounding strap on the handle isn't enough to overcome it. Just have to wear heavier gloves, lol.
My trimmer has a speed head which takes a 6’ line of trim. You just feed it in and make sure to have equal amount of line on each side, then turn the knob. It takes about 60 seconds.

Our snow is usually wet, so I don’t use the leaf blower on it. Watch out for shocks! Lol!

Old 07-31-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
My trimmer has a speed head which takes a 6’ line of trim. You just feed it in and make sure to have equal amount of line on each side, then turn the knob. It takes about 60 seconds.

Our snow is usually wet, so I don’t use the leaf blower on it. Watch out for shocks! Lol!
Same deal with the Ego trimmer except it's automatic- feed the line with equal amount and press a button and it sucks right up!

Old 08-03-2023, 08:50 AM

4,650 posts, read 2,517,477 times
a known fault of Ego battery mowers is the wiring..the self drive feature as well as the start wiring gets stretched out and broken or over heated from stretching resulting in complete failure after a while because of folding up the mower for storage..many many complaints about it and yet nothing from the company acknowledging it..other than that it's a good machine..but if I would have known about that obvious design flaw I would have stayed far away..buy a Honda mower..not much more money and a better product..

Old 08-03-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
a known fault of Ego battery mowers is the wiring..the self drive feature as well as the start wiring gets stretched out and broken or over heated from stretching resulting in complete failure after a while because of folding up the mower for storage..many many complaints about it and yet nothing from the company acknowledging it..other than that it's a good machine..but if I would have known about that obvious design flaw I would have stayed far away..buy a Honda mower..not much more money and a better product..
I'm glad I only fold my mower once a year for storage. Also I can rewire things pretty easily. I've seen a takedown of an Ego mower and it's not hard at all. Since I do most all my maintenance and repairs I'd rather do that than rebuild a gasser.

No way in hell would I go back to a gas push mower. The ease of use and maintenance has me hooked.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:16 AM

11,647 posts, read 8,782,434 times
I find it very interesting, the way that John Deere has embraced technology. I think of farmers as a conservative bunch, but Deere has not been dragging their feet, introducing GPS guidance systems, semi-autonomy and working now on full autonomy for their larger agricultural machines.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:43 PM

Farm machinery has some leading edge tech. The ranch I hunt on in NE Montana manages over 12 sq miles. The machinery they have is mostly all Deere and it’s top notch.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:27 AM

11,647 posts, read 8,782,434 times
Quote:
Farm machinery has some leading edge tech. The ranch I hunt on in NE Montana manages over 12 sq miles. The machinery they have is mostly all Deere and it’s top notch.
The latest and greatest from Deere, have GPS, 360 degree cameras, computers and AI. I am sure they are not cheap, but if needed, the machine can run day and night, and there is no operator on board to get tired (or complain ;-)). I have no idea how the costs and any issues really shake out, but it sounds like there is a lot of potential for large farms to optimize operations. - though the romantic ideas of farmers toiling in the fields will go by the wayside, if you basically have robotic machines working the fields.

https://www.deere.com/en/autonomous/

"The autonomous tractor has six pairs of stereo cameras, which enables 360-degree obstacle detection and the calculation of distance. Images captured by the cameras are passed through a deep neural network that classifies each pixel in approximately 100 milliseconds and determines if the machine continues to move or stops, depending on if an obstacle is detected. The autonomous tractor is also continuously checking its position relative to a geofence, ensuring it is operating where it is supposed to, and is within less than an inch of accuracy."

https://www.deere.com/en/news/all-ne...ractor-reveal/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living