U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:13 AM

5,127 posts, read 10,241,093 times

Advertisements

For laundry I use Bio Kleen, it comes in liquid or powder. Very cost effective a box can do 50 loads of laundry. For dishwashing I use Seventh Generation or Sun and Earth.

For body lotion and soap I use Dr. Bronner, I LOOOOVE their lime/patchouli body lotion and their soaps have been around for ages.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:00 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,665,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Baking soda.
Do you really like Baking Soda Ellie ?? I know it whitens teeth but not sure how else it works for teeth and gums.

Anyway Thanks....
6/3

Old 06-15-2008, 10:02 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,665,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I use the Weleda toothpastes, they are available at health food stores, Whole Foods etc. No SLS, no flouride or other nasties. There are various ones, my favorite is the gel one.
Thanks Katzenfeund as i'll check those out next time i make it over to Whole Foods.....

6/3

Old 06-15-2008, 11:29 AM

5,127 posts, read 10,241,093 times
6/3, I pay special attention to avoiding the SLS, as it is supposed to be fairly aggressive and I wonder what it does to delicate gum tissue. And I really don't want flouride in my toothpaste either. Unfortunately there is added flouride in our drinking water and our Britta water filter does not remove it .

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-15-2008, 12:03 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,086,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Do you really like Baking Soda Ellie ?? I know it whitens teeth but not sure how else it works for teeth and gums.

Anyway Thanks....
6/3
No, I don't care for baking soda myself. Tastes yucky. But the OP was asking for a green product to use. Based on its price, availability, lack of packaging, etc., I'd say it is pretty green. (yes I'll use it in a pinch)

I also think that it's a major component of the polishing paste that dentists use. I can taste it.

Maybe we need to do some real research on its pros and cons?

I've gotten it in my head that high priced items are less green because it requires more resources to be able to afford them. Not that cheaply made is better. But a high-end green product that is expensive simply because it calls itself green may not necessarily be the most sustainable.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:50 PM

517 posts, read 2,278,467 times
Supposedly you can use Dr. Bronner's for toothpaste but I tried it once and it was too foamy. I looked like I'd gone rabid. I like ECOS laundry detergent because it smells so good. I know that you can make a lot of cleansers at home from baking soda, borax, or vinegar but I'm too lazy to do that.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:01 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,086,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Supposedly you can use Dr. Bronner's for toothpaste but I tried it once and it was too foamy. I looked like I'd gone rabid. I like ECOS laundry detergent because it smells so good. I know that you can make a lot of cleansers at home from baking soda, borax, or vinegar but I'm too lazy to do that.
I've always been a fan of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. Never tried brushing my teeth with it. But oooh aaah, the soap will make you tingle.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,157,281 times
I like to mix Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap with the dish soap and hand soap, very nice smell!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:51 AM

157 posts, read 576,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
6/3, I pay special attention to avoiding the SLS, as it is supposed to be fairly aggressive and I wonder what it does to delicate gum tissue. And I really don't want flouride in my toothpaste either. Unfortunately there is added flouride in our drinking water and our Britta water filter does not remove it .

I use to break out with painful canker sores on the inside of my mouth every month and finally did some research as to the causes. I eliminated all the possible foods that might be causing it and introduced them one by one with no break outs... finally discovered my toothpaste to be the problem. I was very sensitive to the SLS. I switched to vita-myr herbal toothpaste, and "kiss my face" 6 months ago and haven't had any more problems with canker sores!! Yeah!!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:00 AM

228 posts, read 519,948 times
Smile Thank you!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted and shared so far...really appreciate the great input!

One of the big wins for me so far has been the Crystal Deodorant! Wow, is it working super!!! I have always had super sensitive skin and could only use powdery kinds of deodorants with success.

So, I first tried one greener deodorant, can't remember the name, but it is a longer thin container with green label with raindrops on it...it did not work at all for me. Then I tried Kiss My Face Active Enzyme and in a few hours it felt like my pits were on fire.

Then, I tried Crystal...and it is amazing. I worked out twice yesterday and, let me tell you, I can sweat. But, no odor at all. This rocks!

Thanks, friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or