Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 02:52 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a gardening issue but also very much a green issue.

In looking into water conservation options in our household, one thing considered was using kitchen waste water (placing a bucket under the sink). However, I've read this is considered black water, due to a potential high bacteria content from kitchen scraps.

Apart from meat, if it's only vegetables, how is this different from composting with kitchen scraps?

Can't be from handwashing, since bathroom sink water is considered grey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
It's considered black water because it has a much higher concentration of not only bacteria but viruses as well. I would highly recommend you avoid it. Kitchen sink drainage water will presumably contain the bacteria and viruses that you might successfully clean from your produce, and it will almost certainly contain such things as E. Coli, Salmonella, etc, on utensils used to prepare raw meat for cooking. Kitchen scraps collected from uneaten food from dinner plates may indeed contain meat - but the meat has been cooked - so its much more safe to handle. In summary, the black water will likely have a high concentration of bacteria and viruses that would remain in and contaminate your vegetable garden and make you and your family _much_ more at risk for infection. Its not worth the risk.

Sean

Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
It would be safer (and requires no tinkering with plumbing) to use only the water you use to wash dishes with. Instead of dumping it down the drain, use a dishpan and it's easy to haul the water outside. And the detergent in the water will deter bugs in your garden.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:31 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
A trick I learned from a plugged drain....get a couple buckets, then fill one with soapy water and one with clean water. Leave them inside the sink, and use the buckets as sinks to wash the dishes. When you're done washing, take the buckets outside to dump.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Thanks for the tip on the dishwater. That makes sense.

However I'm still a bit confused on the kitchen waste. I understand the potential meat contamination, but do you really wash each vegetable object before you put it into the compost? I always just toss it in there - e.g. if I have a vegetable or fruit I didn't eat fast enough and it's going off. I don't wash it. Similarly, we put eggshells in that aren't washed.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I'm with you Chaka - also confused. What several people do here where I live is reroute the plumbing from their kitchen and bathroom(s) into a separate tank (freestanding or in-ground) for irrigation purposes. NOT toilet flush water - that goes into a septic system and is never re-used.

I compost everything except meat scraps - including eggshells, coffee grounds and, of course, all veggie scraps. Cheers!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I use all drain water except from the toilets to water the patch of grass I have. It runs into a holding tank, then is pumped to the grass through a filter screen. The water often contains soap residue and debris, which is skimmed off and sent to the septic tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living