Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Do you people really believe that co2 causes global warming?

We people do.

Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 03:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic barbara View Post
Last October I visited a climateologist at Cambridge University outside London. The PHd. is an expert in ice core research in the Antarctic. According to him, ice core readings of trapped CO2 in the atmosphere are "off the charts" in the last 100 years - and this is looking at 800,000 years of data. This researcher has no personal agenda. He just reports the facts. And he wasn't too optimistic about the results.
Yes. That people can equivocate over our contribution to global warming is understandable. The only ones left who do usually are receiving some financial renumeration by doing so.

It is to our shame, as a culture, that such people are obviously in positions of authority in our government, and for the sake of profits for themselves and their friends they are willing to sacrifice the lives of future generations of humanity.

I am convinced that we are on the cusp of a crisis right now, but even if I were not totally convinced, just entertaining a probability of what may be in store for the planet would force me to start making changes. So we lose a bit of profit in our corporations for a short time. New technologies open the way for new profits, and the downside of doing nothing is total disaster.
If a decent person

Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 PM

189 posts, read 344,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Atmospheric CO2 concentration leads average global temperature by about fifty years. Some of you are going to live in interesting times because there is no way the financial powers are going to let something that will happen in the far future interfere with their short term profits. I expect that the human race will continue to burn carbon as the major energy source and that the globe will just continue to get warmer and the sea level to keep rising. This should have a somewhat deleterious effect on ocean going shipping, as the port facilities will need to be moved inland. Among other accomodations.
So are you saying that the financial powers don't care if, to coin Chicken Little, the sky falls?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:47 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
If you believe con artists who want to shut up or criminalize anyone who dares voice their first amendment rights in opposition to the con, then you likely also believe in the absurd CO2 hypothosis.

Do you have any curiosity as to why one side would want to shut up the other side?

I first examine the messenger.
There is no need to even glance at the "science," real or trumped up, when the ship of fools captained by algore sets sail to con the world out of hundred$ of billion$ of dollar$.

Those who believe that algore really cares about humanity or the earth, I have some old Mighty Mouse comix I can sell you. Read them, and know the genesis of al's fantasies.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
If you believe con artists who want to shut up or criminalize anyone who dares voice their first amendment rights in opposition to the con, then you likely also believe in the absurd CO2 hypothosis.

Do you have any curiosity as to why one side would want to shut up the other side?

I first examine the messenger.
There is no need to even glance at the "science," real or trumped up, when the ship of fools captained by algore sets sail to con the world out of hundred$ of billion$ of dollar$.

Those who believe that algore really cares about humanity or the earth, I have some old Mighty Mouse comix I can sell you. Read them, and know the genesis of al's fantasies.
Au contraire.

Mr Gore is paying out of his own pocket for much of the work he is doing. He stands to gain little if the truth he tells changes policies in the world. His campaign is not only in the US.

On the opposite side, many monied interests in the US see no advantage to them, only expense, if his recommendations are implemented. They have a very real self-serving interest, that any fool can see, in maintaining the status quo.

I know that generally business owns the US government. We all tolerate that. We are capitalists and in the past what was good for General Motors was good for the US.

There are just some issues which override all other considerations. The destruction of life on the planet due to human overpopulation and overconsumption is one of those issues. If we are not willing to curb our population growth or our consumption, then we must change that consumption into choices that are healthy for the planet and for our children and their children.

We can no longer afford indulging business's monopoly on our political thinking. We are supposed to have, from our forefathers, a system of checks and balances. Well, there is at this time no force balancing the greed of those who are asking us to sit by and watch the globe sink further and futher into catostaphic situations, merely for their own profits.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:52 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Au contraire.

Mr Gore is paying out of his own pocket for much of the work he is doing. He stands to gain little if the truth he tells changes policies in the world. His campaign is not only in the US.

On the opposite side, many monied interests in the US see no advantage to them, only expense, if his recommendations are implemented. They have a very real self-serving interest, that any fool can see, in maintaining the status quo.

I know that generally business owns the US government. We all tolerate that. We are capitalists and in the past what was good for General Motors was good for the US.

There are just some issues which override all other considerations. The destruction of life on the planet due to human overpopulation and overconsumption is one of those issues. If we are not willing to curb our population growth or our consumption, then we must change that consumption into choices that are healthy for the planet and for our children and their children.

We can no longer afford indulging business's monopoly on our political thinking. We are supposed to have, from our forefathers, a system of checks and balances. Well, there is at this time no force balancing the greed of those who are asking us to sit by and watch the globe sink further and futher into catostaphic situations, merely for their own profits.
i am very sorry but i have a huge problem with al gore! before you start preaching to others make sure you practice what you preach. al gore lives in a 10000 sqft home. his energy consumption is astronomical. his followers like to say that he and his wife run their offices at home. i am really sorry but i just don't buy it!

then there are the private jets. why not go by commercial liner? then sit in economy(because they fit more people per flight)? at your destination take public transport? use a locally based team instead of flying all his staffers around? better still why not stay at home and use teleconferencing?

i am almost certain gore supporters will eat into my opinion of the man but i see no difference in his excuses for his excessive consumption and those of soccer moms who insist that the one time last year that they had to transport the team warrants the purchase of a huge suburban!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:

i agree with you to a point. my whole argument has been that government has made considerable efforts to maintain a steady supply of oil. for many years this has kept the price of energy artificially low! imo at $4 a gallon it still is artificially low. the whole economy has been built around these low energy prices. i believe that the government should just stay out of everything.

when i look at american behaviour today, more and more i am starting to see people make an effort to conserve. this phenomenon has come about with gas prices moving progressively to their rightful place. i foresee much bigger changes taking place in the years to come and this will be courtesy of the gas prices going through the roof.

all the eco legislation in the world won't change peoples habits as much as when their pockets are hurting and the best source for solutions is to allow "
free market" capitalism to find those solutions

Last edited by 58robbo; 07-14-2008 at 03:31 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i agree with you to a point. my whole argument has been that government has made considerable efforts to maintain a steady supply of oil. for many years this has kept the price of energy artificially low! imo at $4 a gallon it still is artificially low. the whole economy has been built around these low energy prices. i believe that the government should just stay out of everything.

when i look at american behaviour today, more and more i am starting to see people make an effort to conserve. this phenomenon has come about with gas prices moving progressively to their rightful place. i foresee much bigger changes taking place in the years to come and this will be courtesy of the gas prices going through the roof.

all the eco legislation in the world won't change peoples habits as much as when their pockets are hurting and the best source for solutions is to allow "
free market" capitalism to find those solutions
My point is that the government should all the time have been representing we, the people, and not business.
If that were the case instead of supporting useless wars that money would have been put into research for non-polluting alternate fuels. Now, they are trying to place us in a desperate situation so that we vote for nuclear or some other polluting fuel.

The idea is to have us continually wed to a fuel which we must purchase on a regular basis from some centralized business.

There are wind options that do not kill birds. There are solar and geothermal. All we could have on our property.

Perhaps Gore could be a bit more energy efficient, but he is doing more good than harm with his message. I could tolerate it if the ambulance coming to save my life might pollute. It is the rest of us that is the problem. Bush got tricked into having an energy efficient ranch, didn't he?

At least when Obama gets in, he will be in agreement with Mr. Gore and support his efforts.

Our country used to be a world leader. We are no longer, except perhaps in body counts. We should be leading the way in environmentally friendly fuels. I would so much like to see us as a country the world actually turns to for help. The only 'help' we give is meddling and that will soon stop because I am sure as the economy falls and tax dollars fall off there won't be money for interfering with other countries and buying friends.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
My point is that the government should all the time have been representing we, the people, and not business.
If that were the case instead of supporting useless wars that money would have been put into research for non-polluting alternate fuels. Now, they are trying to place us in a desperate situation so that we vote for nuclear or some other polluting fuel.

The idea is to have us continually wed to a fuel which we must purchase on a regular basis from some centralized business.

There are wind options that do not kill birds. There are solar and geothermal. All we could have on our property.

Perhaps Gore could be a bit more energy efficient, but he is doing more good than harm with his message. I could tolerate it if the ambulance coming to save my life might pollute. It is the rest of us that is the problem. Bush got tricked into having an energy efficient ranch, didn't he?

At least when Obama gets in, he will be in agreement with Mr. Gore and support his efforts.

Our country used to be a world leader. We are no longer, except perhaps in body counts. We should be leading the way in environmentally friendly fuels. I would so much like to see us as a country the world actually turns to for help. The only 'help' we give is meddling and that will soon stop because I am sure as the economy falls and tax dollars fall off there won't be money for interfering with other countries and buying friends.
once more i agree with you 100% on what is being done, but i disagree with you 100% on what we can do.
i will be moving back to the states within 12months. i am designing our home to be off grid. we're moving to florida. our house is designed to use minimal energy and produce maximum energy.
first things first. detailed analysis of florida energy consumption. aircon, clothes dryer (WHY???), refrigerator, hot water, pool pump. we intend to counter this by shading, ventilating and placing air in only a few air tight insulated rooms. clothes line(remember those), very small refrigerator, solar tubes for hot water and we're working on the pool pump problem. we have also budgeted for rainwater/grey water collection. in addition we'll be fitting massive solar panels and a propane back up system.
i appreciate that it is going to be expensive, but not close to what many people think. you will be surprised how many very bright people will give you invaluable time and energy for free when you put a project like this infront of them.
at laboratory level we are leading the way in eco fuels and solutions. it just never made financial sense before to use them. now that there is an economic incentive in saving energy and in coming up with solutions things are going to start moving.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I have been totally off grid for some time - including for a clothes dryer!!

Powering the poor pump was never a problem - nor, the pool heater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living