U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM

272 posts, read 849,066 times

Advertisements

A Reuters headline said, Oceans to Fall,Not Rise Over Millions of Years. Depite all the propaganda to the contrary, the long-term,over eons,geological sea change will be downward. according to a study published in the journal Science, tectonic shifts in the earths crust continue to drop much of the sea floor. Since the days of the dinosaurs 80 million years ago, sea levels have fallen by about 560 feet. Said Dietmar Muller, the studys lead author. If we humans still exist in 10,20 or 50 million years, irrespective of how ice caps are waxing and waning, the long term, is that sea level will drop. not rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM

26,910 posts, read 38,152,457 times
And that affects us how?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:23 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,552,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And that affects us how?
It's the chaos affect. I fart, here in Socal, and it becomes a typhoon in Malaysia! Chaos affect. My methane will contribute to the green house affect and thus the lowering of the sea level 1 million years later.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 PM

26,910 posts, read 38,152,457 times
Thank you for not farting! LMAO!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,569,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And that affects us how?
My current barely-above-sea-level home (Florida) will soon be a mountain retreat....kewl ! I'm teasing .

We are losing shoreline all over the peninsula, so we see the ocean coming in towards us....so I wonder how this fits into the sea level falling theory?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 AM

314 posts, read 831,199 times
thats partly erosion.....Here on the Marylands Eastern Shore we also have erosion and land subsidence....the land lowers or sinks, partly because we pump the water our from under us (wells)

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 AM

6,979 posts, read 15,135,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
My current barely-above-sea-level home (Florida) will soon be a mountain retreat....kewl ! I'm teasing .

We are losing shoreline all over the peninsula, so we see the ocean coming in towards us....so I wonder how this fits into the sea level falling theory?
I can't speak for where you are but South Florida isn't losing shore line because of magical tectonic plates. It is because of jetties, they do not allow for the natural deposit of sand sediment from further north. From what I remember it works like this. The flow of water naturally caries sand into the ocean. The flow of the current down the coast deposits sand sediments along the beach shore line. But when they build those ridiculous jetties and other man made structures, it disrupts this natural flow.

They need to outlaw that crap. We had to study this in a geology class I took back in my university days. We humans are our own worst enemies.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 AM

314 posts, read 831,199 times
That makes sense....here they are in the process of passing a law that makes hard shorlines (rip rap and jetties) a thing of the past....only "living" shoreline improvements will be allowed....im sure there may be exceptions in difficult areas or industrial shorelines.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,569,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I can't speak for where you are but South Florida isn't losing shore line because of magical tectonic plates. It is because of jetties, they do not allow for the natural deposit of sand sediment from further north. From what I remember it works like this. The flow of water naturally caries sand into the ocean. The flow of the current down the coast deposits sand sediments along the beach shore line. But when they build those ridiculous jetties and other man made structures, it disrupts this natural flow.

They need to outlaw that crap. We had to study this in a geology class I took back in my university days. We humans are our own worst enemies.
Right, same here (for us, it's seawalls mostly). There's a natural change in the shoreline that nature would do (sort of a natural erosion and renourishment), but the human interference prevents the positive effects (the renourishment aspect, if you will).

So it's hard for us to imagine the oceans falling, because here, the ocean keeps coming inland, or coming "up" as we lose shoreline.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,237,803 times
This makes sense, because around here the sea level has not changed one bit. I set a glass rod out in the rock at low tide, cemented it and have been watching it since 1990. The level of the ocean has not changed one bit. The funny thing is that mangrove has been growing around it and may completely cover the marker in another decade or so. No big deal because I may not still be here then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living