U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:57 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,617,662 times

Advertisements

I dunno... but I think windmills are much prettier to look at than oil or coal burning plants, and even nuclear plants. Plus they don't make as much noise. At least nuclear (and wind) don't stink. Dams/hydroelectric can be pretty, but they cause problems too (and some are very ugly eyesores in the natural backdrop). But I do wonder why they make the turbines white... something brighter seems to make more sense, but what do I know LOL!

I don't think we need a single energy system to replace/provide our energy needs. We just need to find whatever hybrid systems work best in a given application to get us off fossil fuels (or at least drastically reduce it!). Having a hybrid system also means that you reduce having a single point of failure... planned redundancy is an excellent failsafe. If you can run a generator for your bit of off-grid power, it'd be great to be able to use locally produced biogas or biodiesel... locally, like sustainably on your own property! But really, it's all about finding what components work best for your conditions and needs... and of course CONSERVING. You don't need to buy or produce what you aren't using LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 PM

28,151 posts, read 39,785,900 times
They should tear down those ugly things and build some coal-fired plants!

That will save all those birds, and I'm sure the concrete costs and expense to build them, supply them with coal, and the resultant doctors bills from the pollution will be far less than the cost to build and maintain those ugly murderous wind farms!

I want huge smoke stacks spewing smoke as a view out of my window, not some nasty, twirling fan blade thingy! There oughta be a law!

[Insert too numerous to mention emoticons that add nothing to this post, here]

Old 07-12-2008, 01:12 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,940,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Old 07-12-2008, 01:27 PM

5,090 posts, read 9,834,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
nice!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,623,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
They should tear down those ugly things and build some coal-fired plants!

That will save all those birds, and I'm sure the concrete costs and expense to build them, supply them with coal, and the resultant doctors bills from the pollution will be far less than the cost to build and maintain those ugly murderous wind farms!

I want huge smoke stacks spewing smoke as a view out of my window, not some nasty, twirling fan blade thingy! There oughta be a law!

Anthracite Coal is actually currently the most environmentally friendly and least expensive source of energy we have! And we have more here in the USA than any other place in the world! Sad to see how stupid and selfish Democrats have been with regards to our country's energy needs!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:13 AM

314 posts, read 847,672 times
windmills in flyways kill lots of migratory birds as well.......

Old 07-13-2008, 03:10 AM

650 posts, read 1,108,911 times
CV, any links for more on anthracite coal and its possibilities? Sounds good, but I wonder more hasn't been done to use it.

There's always mining issues however, like subsidence in nearby towns, and most importantly danger to the miners who will be bringing the stuff up. It seems there's no perfect solution; everything has its 'dark side', like the windmills.

Why aren't more people using solar? It even works in my permanently-cloudy-rainy country, so hmmmm....

Old 07-13-2008, 01:15 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,940,003 times
Solar reflects the light back up and blinds the birds which causes them to fly into wind turbines.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:53 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,748,691 times
I agree thast we tend to con our selfs that some miracle is go to replace the energy spource we have now in any per cenatge in the near future. Mocuh of this is sales pitch by peole wanting to make moneylike farmers and tohers that want governamnt subsides like methnolo inductry. Soem is by environmantaist groups that would sacrifice man to save a minnow. But we are to teh point whwre we ahve given up drilling for years and it will take years to produce more and have given up nuclear which will take years also. We have to invest in some of the more inefficentquick and expensive alternative to the degree we can now. Its not the cost but the coming short supply that is the real danger.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 AM

653 posts, read 1,707,806 times
can every body stop using electricity, stop driving, stop riding (bus,train plane), stop buying process foods and drinks.

a few wind, sun and water contraptions here,
a few oil,gas,coal, wood burnig and neclear plants there.

better then 100 % of one thing or stop all convinienes we human get so used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living