U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 02:42 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,102,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Besides having long term negative implications upon ruminants Wind Farms clearly have altered and harmed migratory birds, even when the Wind Farm is miles from the migration route. The reason is because the electromagetic fields produced by these Wind Farms alter migratory birds homing features where some may be confused and fly directly towards a wind turbine.
Your repeating that conspiracy theory isn't going to make it true.

Actual research simply doesn't back up that outlandish claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 PM

259 posts, read 602,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Besides having long term negative implications upon ruminants Wind Farms clearly have altered and harmed migratory birds, even when the Wind Farm is miles from the migration route. The reason is because the electromagetic fields produced by these Wind Farms alter migratory birds homing features where some may be confused and fly directly towards a wind turbine.
Jet engines & propellers for that matter, while attached to airplanes passing through flocks of birds seems to cause problems as well. I think we should remove all jet engines & propellers from airplanes until this important matter is resolved. The airplanes will be just fine without the engines and propellers.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
Jet engines & propellers for that matter, while attached to airplanes passing through flocks of birds seems to cause problems as well. I think we should remove all jet engines & propellers from airplanes until this important matter is resolved. The airplanes will be just fine without the engines and propellers.
Ever have a bird smash into one of the windows on your house?

Perhaps we should remove all windows from all houses.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,098,324 times
My main concern would be about bats and the noise that windmills produce if these farms would cause a decline in the bat population. Given the amount of insects these animals eat I'd be concerned about their decline in the overall balance.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
My main concern would be about bats and the noise that windmills produce if these farms would cause a decline in the bat population. Given the amount of insects these animals eat I'd be concerned about their decline in the overall balance.
I think that's a very legitimate concern, and I would hope that they have studied that issue.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,241,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
The only problem that the industry has had with bats is with one wind farm that was inadvertently siting in a bat flyway -- their route in and out of a cave. Apparently when transiting, and not hunting, bats don't use their sonar and if there is a tight cluster of bats flying through a farm, you can have some kills. Two things mitigate this:

1. If you haven't introduced disease or reduced the food supply, bat population can rebound/adjust to these types of losses fairly easily.

2. In siting wind farms, now that we know, it pretty easy to avoid bat flyways.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
I would like to note that almost all the arguments used to "prove" wind turbines are a danger have been used to denigrate nuclear power. These arguments are equally valid for any energy source.

Eventually economics, government policy and international consideration will decide how we generate our base load electrical power. I would prefer a nuclear based electrical system with full fuel recycle and production. Alternate “natural” energy collectors such as wind, tide and solar would provide storable energy to match the fluctuating demand. I would prefer petroleum be used for chemicals and coal to hold up the grass it is under or, in the worst case, transformed into synthetic petroleum.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 AM

8,578 posts, read 8,496,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to note that almost all the arguments used to "prove" wind turbines are a danger have been used to denigrate nuclear power. These arguments are equally valid for any energy source.

Eventually economics, government policy and international consideration will decide how we generate our base load electrical power. I would prefer a nuclear based electrical system with full fuel recycle and production. Alternate “natural” energy collectors such as wind, tide and solar would provide storable energy to match the fluctuating demand. I would prefer petroleum be used for chemicals and coal to hold up the grass it is under or, in the worst case, transformed into synthetic petroleum.
While I do agree 100% that nuclear is the way to go I don't see it happening anytime soon. So unfortunately your desire for pet based fuel to remain underground is not to going to answered any time soon. and the cry that wind energy " decreases our need for foreign oil" is in fact completely incorrect. In reality completely opposite! The installation of increasing amounts of wind is resulting in a huge increase of fast starting fast loading internal combustions gen sets, the vast majority of which are powered by diesel fuel and natural gas. If people take the blinders off and face the fact that wind at the very best has a 40% availability rate that means these ICE units may run up to 60% of the year.Our members have installed over 40MWs of "Quick Start" diesels and we are in the permitting phases of 2 25 MW plants of Agency owned assetts....

Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,241,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
While I do agree 100% that nuclear is the way to go I don't see it happening anytime soon. So unfortunately your desire for pet based fuel to remain underground is not to going to answered any time soon. and the cry that wind energy " decreases our need for foreign oil" is in fact completely incorrect. In reality completely opposite! The installation of increasing amounts of wind is resulting in a huge increase of fast starting fast loading internal combustions gen sets, the vast majority of which are powered by diesel fuel and natural gas. If people take the blinders off and face the fact that wind at the very best has a 40% availability rate that means these ICE units may run up to 60% of the year.Our members have installed over 40MWs of "Quick Start" diesels and we are in the permitting phases of 2 25 MW plants of Agency owned assetts....
What a naive statement. Analytical studies have shown that the correlation of wind resources drops dramatically as the distance between the farm exceeds 50-75 miles. By 100-150 miles there only about a 50% correlation.

The reliability of the grid is what's in question and virtually all professionals who work on grid reliability agree that 20% wind in the mix is accommodated with even today's antiquated control technology. Higher penetration will require some more storage and a smarter grid, but we have 10-15 years to build that out, before wind gets difficult to manage.

Higher penetrations of wind will probably increase the use of gas turbine, but their carbon footprint is much better than a coal-fired plant.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,622,255 times
Default For some 2 + 2 shall always = 1.

For some 2 + 2 shall always = 1. This is how absurd and ludicrous the arguments for Wind Farms have become. To place this in some perspective a logical analogy would be using an old 1960 IBM Main Frame Computer in place of your new Intel Core Duo Processor and 4 GB DDR Memory Lap Top Computer or having an Elephant running on an Hamster Wheel! Hello!!! IS anyone home!?!?!

A movie of which was a complete waste of time will at least make one point. The movie is “Forest Gump”. There are several scenes where this idiot Forest Gump begins running across the country and we see people following him for no other reason but to follow this idiot named Forest Gump. This is exactly what is going on now. There was Al Gore who invented the internet and began this Communal like mantra chant about “Green Energy” and now you have our first affirmative action president who continues to spew out more manure than a dairy farm about this inefficient and environmentally damaging Green Energy junk. When will it stop? Sadly never, as more often than not, people want to be led and not responsible for their own decisions & actions. Think about it, who would have ever dreamed the USA, a nation so rich in Natural Resources and institutions of higher learning, would be erecting these disgusting, environmentally damaging and blatantly inefficient wind farms because some idiot or affirmative action president said so??
Fellow board member, there is something very wrong here, as our nation is going down a destructive road of ignorance and irresponsibility. Let’s pray better days are ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living