U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM

10,859 posts, read 10,537,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
For some 2 + 2 shall always = 1. This is how absurd and ludicrous the arguments for Wind Farms have become. To place this in some perspective a logical analogy would be using an old 1960 IBM Main Frame Computer in place of your new Intel Core Duo Processor and 4 GB DDR Memory Lap Top Computer or having an Elephant running on an Hamster Wheel! Hello!!! IS anyone home!?!?!
And some of us will insist in putting all of our eggs in one basket, regardless of the consequences. If you wish to entrust your entire future and livelihood to your Intel Core Duo Processor, that is your right. But some us are not willing to engage in tunnel vision. Some of us believe in having an old-fashioned pen and paper handy too. Perhaps even a pencil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,121,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
For some 2 + 2 shall always = 1. This is how absurd and ludicrous the arguments for Wind Farms have become. To place this in some perspective a logical analogy would be using an old 1960 IBM Main Frame Computer in place of your new Intel Core Duo Processor and 4 GB DDR Memory Lap Top Computer or having an Elephant running on an Hamster Wheel! Hello!!! IS anyone home!?!?!

A movie of which was a complete waste of time will at least make one point. The movie is “Forest Gump”. There are several scenes where this idiot Forest Gump begins running across the country and we see people following him for no other reason but to follow this idiot named Forest Gump. This is exactly what is going on now. There was Al Gore who invented the internet and began this Communal like mantra chant about “Green Energy” and now you have our first affirmative action president who continues to spew out more manure than a dairy farm about this inefficient and environmentally damaging Green Energy junk. When will it stop? Sadly never, as more often than not, people want to be led and not responsible for their own decisions & actions. Think about it, who would have ever dreamed the USA, a nation so rich in Natural Resources and institutions of higher learning, would be erecting these disgusting, environmentally damaging and blatantly inefficient wind farms because some idiot or affirmative action president said so??
Fellow board member, there is something very wrong here, as our nation is going down a destructive road of ignorance and irresponsibility. Let’s pray better days are ahead!

Yeah you're right.

We're better off just consuming massive amounts of fossil fuels for our energy needs.

No need to move into the 21st Century or anything.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,247,809 times
The humorous part is somebody equating coal-fired technology with advanced technology. Compared to most coal plants in the United States an IBM 1960 mainframe looks like something from Star Trek.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The humorous part is somebody equating coal-fired technology with advanced technology. Compared to most coal plants in the United States an IBM 1960 mainframe looks like something from Star Trek.
It seems to me that people keep refusing to see that Wind Generators are PART OF THE ANSWER. They're not the whole answer, nor will they ever be.

It's a bit like ethanol. It's not perfect, nor the whole answer, but if all these renewable energies could continue to improve and to peck away at our dependence on fossil fuels, we'll all be better off.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:43 AM

10,859 posts, read 10,537,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It seems to me that people keep refusing to see that Wind Generators are PART OF THE ANSWER. They're not the whole answer, nor will they ever be.
Exactly. It's that Binary Syndrome again. It's all or nothing with some folks.

I don't think anyone would seriously propose that wind energy is our savior and will replace all other forms. But, when it works, it works. There is no point in denying the obvious. When I see the turbine spinning every time I look that direction, it is obviously producing power. What's the downside again? A salamander on the other side of the valley has its sensitive electromagnetic receptors overloaded?

I think some of you need to be honest. You don't like windmills. Just admit it. They enrage you for some reason. That's fair. We all have our quirks. I don't like gigantic diesel pickup trucks--they enrage me. Just say, "Let's get rid of the windmills because I don't like them," and leave it at that. it's okay to not like something. There is no need to come up with a bunch of hogwash about chinchilla populations in Patagonia dying in droves because of the gamma radiation emitted by windmills or toxic clouds of gas from windmills drifting over cities and choking grandma to death. It doesn't help your cause at all.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 AM

141 posts, read 254,684 times
Yes, it is difficult for me to understand why an educated person would make up superfluous support of how wind farms are so great! It is like biting your nose to spite your face! Wind farms are hurting our planet. The clear cutting alone destroys thousands of hectares of beautiful forests and even high desert plains are hurt. The reasoning for a 1000 acre wind farm is so weird akso because you can just only take up 10 acres to produce 100 times more energy with Coal or Nuclear plants.

Last edited by sandbarcreek; 09-25-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
Yes, it is difficult for me to understand why an educated person would make up superfluous support of how wind farms are so great! It is like biting your nose to spite your face! Wind farms are hurting our planet. The clear cutting alone destroys thousands of hectares of beautiful forests and even high desert plains are hurt. The reasoning for a 1000 acre wind farm is so weird akso because you can just only take up 10 acres to produce 100 times more energy with Coal or Nuclear plants.
You think there is clear-cutting of forests going on, in order to set up wind farms?

You're kidding, right?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

It's a bit like ethanol. It's not perfect, nor the whole answer, but if all these renewable energies could continue to improve and to peck away at our dependence on fossil fuels, we'll all be better off.
You could assert that simple minds seek simplistic solutions. It probably more that simple minds are easily captured by the marketing efforts of the coal and petroleum industries. They are leading the sheeple.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you could post a single photo of a wind farm for which they have clear cut a forest. Wind farms take up almost no ground. It's so modest, that the land contact is usually an easement. Whoever owns the land is free to continue to use it for its original purpose.

The previous poster's caution about making up wild stories is spot on true.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,623,980 times
Default Clear Cutting Forests for Wind Farms

Quote:
Ditto to all above Sandbar and I am glad you are aware of the current & proposed Clear Cutting of Forest & (national) lands for the erection of these ugly massive helicopter like Wind Farms! It is very sad and truly does illustrate the hypocrisy of the so called Al Gore and Hussain Obama green followers.

Case in point is the Meyersdale, Penn where my sister-in-law lives in Southern Penn., right above the Maryland border. A Wind Farm has already cleared 100+ acres on a beautiful Mountain ridge to take advantage of the wind speed on the crests of the mountain ridges. This also has happened in West Virginia up at Blackbone Mountain and there are many more proposed Wind Farms in the works even next door to me in the Peoples Republic of Vermont! Yes, believe it or not they are proposing to erect these ugly wind turbine towers which will reach up on the crest of a mountain an additional 400+ feet. Not to mention the aestetics of the proposed environmental disaster.

Many who claim to be knowlegable about "wind farms" truly appear to ignor the scope of a wind farms envrionmental impact. You have to trench, build service roads, deice during ice storms, avian impacts, agricultural, flora, stream, forest, stream habitats to name a few. The scope is mind boggeling and one must wonder why some would support such a destructive and inefficient endevor. I can only come up with two possible reasons why someone would support these wind farms;
  1. They are making money and huge profits from the Wind Farm Energy Company. Such as leasing their land or being a shareholder of the energy company.
  2. Misinformed and maybe too stubborn to take the time and learn what is going on. During the 1880's in Germany a similar so called "Ecology Purification Movement" began and later was taken on by many in Germany as a sort of recovery from WWI. Actually the word Ecology was coined in Germany for this so called Purification Movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living