Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Yes, I have to agree with you on this one Sandbar, as the Ratio of Real Estate needed to generate power alone proves how inefficient these eye sores are.

Further, as I mentioned earlier in this post WIND FARMS are truly an environmental disaster and in many ways increase CO2 output into our troposphere! (This fact alone should not sit right with all the Carbon Foot Print Maniacs.) But besides upsetting the Carbon Paw Print Groopies Wind Farms destroy & disrupt habitats of Plant and Animal Life. Most significant with regards to animal life are Ruminants. Not only are the Habitats of Ruminants destroyed or in a best case scenario disrupted, the Ruminants are adversely affected by the noise and more so the electromagnetic fields produced by each wind turbine. You may also wonder well how are these happy little green turbines adding the Evil CO2 into our Troposphere??? :ee k:
Well, when you mess around with Ruminants, their birthing cycles and so on you reduce the polulation of these vital components of the human (ecosystem) a better way of saying it would be Human, animal and plant interactions. You see the meat we get from these animals is about 45% of the animal and no less than 50% of the animal are used for other products such as Glue, Insulation. Leather Goods, Paint Brushes, Sports Equipment China, Asphalt, Detergents, Plastics, Paper, Ball Bearings just to name a few. Now if we had to make a synthetic form of these products which of course would be inferrior then much more energy would be needed and thus the bad bad evil Carbon would be sent up into our pristine atomosphere!

Anyway, in conclusion, these Wind Farms are a total waste of money and are only Political Feel Good projects that appease those who would rther eat an egg from a free range Hen than one which is safe and segregated in its own little cage. Meaning a reduction of disease vector as you have from those free range chickiens eating each others poop! Yes that was a diversion but it is all part of the same mantra. Free Range Chickens and WInd Farms. In my book they are both equal in the virulent lies being propagated by power thirsty politicians and the sheeple who believe that silly stuff.
Huh?

I've personally seen ruminants grazing right under wind turbines quite happily. They were more disturbed by my presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Huh?

I've personally seen ruminants grazing right under wind turbines quite happily. They were more disturbed by my presence.
Comet Voyager is just spreading coal industry propaganda. In farming country the windmills encumber in inconsequential amount of land. The farmers plant right around and under the turbine. Farmers love wind turbines. It increases their income substantially.

The earlier post is just a complete lie, but typical of what the opposition comes up with.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Comet Voyager is just spreading coal industry propaganda. In farming country the windmills encumber in inconsequential amount of land. The farmers plant right around and under the turbine. Farmers love wind turbines. It increases their income substantially.

The earlier post is just a complete lie, but typical of what the opposition comes up with.
I think it's an example of taking half-truths and running with them. Partial knowledge and incomplete information can be used as very dangerous weapons.

The same thing is being done by the ravenous anti-ethanol crowd.

Is ethanol THE answer to our energy needs? No! Is wind generated electricity THE answer to our energy needs? No! But BOTH of them can be a significant piece of the puzzle.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think it's an example of taking half-truths and running with them. Partial knowledge and incomplete information can be used as very dangerous weapons.

The same thing is being done by the ravenous anti-ethanol crowd.

Is ethanol THE answer to our energy needs? No! Is wind generated electricity THE answer to our energy needs? No! But BOTH of them can be a significant piece of the puzzle.
What the Exxon Koolaide drinkers don't understand is that ethanol as it it used today is primarily an octane and smog additive. There's never been enough farmland to shift to ethanol as a fuel using corn based system. That will potentially come with cellulosic ethanol.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
the electromagnetic fields produced by each wind turbine.
So now the wind turbines are an electromagnetic threat? Are we grasping at straws here? Is the alternator on your vehicle an electromagnetic threat too?

As an aside, you are worried about the windmill as an electromagnetic threat, and I'll bet you never even give a second thought when you 'light up' your cell phone and your brain gets a healthy dose of radiation, or when others around you 'light up' their cell phone and give you second-hand radiation. If you want to be concerned about such matters, start with the cell phone industry, not the windmills (which have been used successfully for at least 3000 years for various tasks).

Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM

259 posts, read 705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So now the wind turbines are an electromagnetic threat? Are we grasping at straws here? Is the alternator on your vehicle an electromagnetic threat too?

As an aside, you are worried about the windmill as an electromagnetic threat, and I'll bet you never even give a second thought when you 'light up' your cell phone and your brain gets a healthy dose of radiation, or when others around you 'light up' their cell phone and give you second-hand radiation. If you want to be concerned about such matters, start with the cell phone industry, not the windmills (which have been used successfully for at least 3000 years for various tasks).
Whatever it takes to shut down clean energy....I'm all for it.
Tadpoles, frogs, magnetic fields, eco wieners, birds, I don't care. Just get it shut down and out of action.

Signed, Obamas clean coal coalition.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
What the Exxon Koolaide drinkers don't understand is that ethanol as it it used today is primarily an octane and smog additive. There's never been enough farmland to shift to ethanol as a fuel using corn based system. That will potentially come with cellulosic ethanol.
Exactly.

Corn is just one source. Switchgrass is another - and actually a very promising source. Brazil makes the majority of their ethanol out of cane sugar. The problem is that it takes time and money to develop and perfect these things.

The same is true for wind generated electricity. The technology of today is exponentially superior to that of even 20 years ago. Imagine what could be accomplished in the next 10 years.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM

259 posts, read 705,450 times
Quote:

Personally, I think it's a great idea to turn food into fuel. Massive quantities of fuel gets burned during the production and harvesting process which makes for a tidy little profit on my big oil & natural gas & clean coal stocks.

The really big payoff comes later when poor people living in third world toilets starve to death because they can't afford the high price of fuel, or is it food. Of well, it really doesn't matter their dead, which leaves more of everything for the rest of us.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
Personally, I think it's a great idea to turn food into fuel. Massive quantities of fuel gets burned during the production and harvesting process which makes for a tidy little profit on my big oil & natural gas & clean coal stocks.

The really big payoff comes later when poor people living in third world toilets starve to death because they can't afford the high price of fuel, or is it food. Of well, it really doesn't matter their dead, which leaves more of everything for the rest of us.
Would you give us an example of turning "food into fuel"? Thanks.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM

141 posts, read 282,491 times
Default My Vet would disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Huh?

Actually I think Mr Comet is correct, as my vet (large animal) who is originally from Iowa, said grazing animals and migratory birds are very sensitive to these electric fields.

I mean just think about it, not only for Cows but even wild animals that are messed up by all the construction, trenching and electrical charges.

I also agree that these wind farms are just a big feel good political hoax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living