Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
Whatever it takes to shut down clean energy....I'm all for it.
Tadpoles, frogs, magnetic fields, eco wieners, birds, I don't care. Just get it shut down and out of action.

Signed, Obamas clean coal coalition.
What exactly do you have against windmills? Is it just a psychological thing? Do they look scary? Monsters under the bed? What is it?

Windmills have been faithfully grinding wheat, pumping swamps, drawing water from wells, and various other tasks for thousands of years. I can drive out into our local desert and see windmills pumping water, as they have been doing for over a century here. Windmills have worked just fine, otherwise they wouldn't have been set up by our ancient ancestors. Now they are being used to generate electricity. I don't see the big deal.

The way I see it, the turbines at our local canyon are there for a reason. It blows every morning like mad. The things are spinning daily. They are obviously generating power or they wouldn't be there. You are not going to tell me that if there is consistent wind in an area that using the wind as a source of power does not make sense. It has for thousands of years. It's no different from using the running waters of a river or the heat from a geothermal source. They all work just fine.

I think some of you people are like the old 'Chevrolet guy' living down at the end of everybody's block. He doesn't really know why he hates all other cars, just that he does. And he won't drive anything else. Why? Just because. And he will come up with the silliest reasons... like maybe the windshield washer pump on Fords emit lethal doses of radiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:52 AM

259 posts, read 705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Would you give us an example of turning "food into fuel"? Thanks.
There are other more direct examples such as corn that would have gone to making things like tortillas is now going to make gas for our cars, which I approve of. The more fuel we burn to make more fuel makes perfect sense from an investors point of view. Almost like perpetual motion.

Food vs. Fuel

Food vs. Fuel
As energy demands devour crops once meant for sustenance, the economics of agriculture are being rewritten

Slide Show >>

Greg Boerboom raises 37,000 pigs a year on his farm in Marshall, Minn. Those hogs eat a lot of corn—10 bushels each from weaning to sale. In past years he has bought feed for about $2 a bushel. But since late summer, average corn prices have leapt to nearly $4 a bushel. To reduce feed costs, he sells his pigs before they reach the normal 275 pounds, and keeps them warmer so they don't devour more food fighting off the cold. Still, Boerboom hopes just to break even. "It's been a pretty tight squeeze on pork producers," he says. "The next eight months will be really tough."

Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think some of you people are like the old 'Chevrolet guy' living down at the end of everybody's block. He doesn't really know why he hates all other cars, just that he does. And he won't drive anything else. Why? Just because. And he will come up with the silliest reasons... like maybe the windshield washer pump on Fords emit lethal doses of radiation.
WRONG! It's Chryslers that had a problem with that!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
Actually I think Mr Comet is correct, as my vet (large animal) who is originally from Iowa, said grazing animals and migratory birds are very sensitive to these electric fields.

I mean just think about it, not only for Cows but even wild animals that are messed up by all the construction, trenching and electrical charges.

I also agree that these wind farms are just a big feel good political hoax.
You vet. LOL ask some of the farmers in Iowa how much the wind farms on their property have hurt production. LOL What a joke. Yeah my sister husband's brother-in-law saw a lot of dead cows by a windmill.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
What exactly do you have against windmills? Is it just a psychological thing? Do they look scary? Monsters under the bed? What is it?

Windmills have been faithfully grinding wheat, pumping swamps, drawing water from wells, and various other tasks for thousands of years. I can drive out into our local desert and see windmills pumping water, as they have been doing for over a century here. Windmills have worked just fine, otherwise they wouldn't have been set up by our ancient ancestors. Now they are being used to generate electricity. I don't see the big deal.

The way I see it, the turbines at our local canyon are there for a reason. It blows every morning like mad. The things are spinning daily. They are obviously generating power or they wouldn't be there. You are not going to tell me that if there is consistent wind in an area that using the wind as a source of power does not make sense. It has for thousands of years. It's no different from using the running waters of a river or the heat from a geothermal source. They all work just fine.

The tiny little windmills used in the past were hardly a threat to birds or Obamas clean coal coalition.
Today's windmills are an enormous threat. Shut em down for the good of all humanity

Old 09-22-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
There are other more direct examples such as corn that would have gone to making things like tortillas is now going to make gas for our cars, which I approve of. The more fuel we burn to make more fuel makes perfect sense from an investors point of view. Almost like perpetual motion.

Food vs. Fuel

Food vs. Fuel
As energy demands devour crops once meant for sustenance, the economics of agriculture are being rewritten

Slide Show >>

Greg Boerboom raises 37,000 pigs a year on his farm in Marshall, Minn. Those hogs eat a lot of corn—10 bushels each from weaning to sale. In past years he has bought feed for about $2 a bushel. But since late summer, average corn prices have leapt to nearly $4 a bushel. To reduce feed costs, he sells his pigs before they reach the normal 275 pounds, and keeps them warmer so they don't devour more food fighting off the cold. Still, Boerboom hopes just to break even. "It's been a pretty tight squeeze on pork producers," he says. "The next eight months will be really tough."
This is partially true, but not completely true.

The corn that is used for ethanol production was not formerly being used for human consumption. In addition, it is still used for feed! In fact, farmers like my dad say it's actually better feed for a lot of livestock than the non-processed corn.

THAT is one main factor that the anti-ethanol crowd refuses to recognize.

Also, when corn jumped to $7 per bushel last year, there was no discernible reason for it to have happened. Ethanol production had not spiked within the previous year. Corn yields were not down - in fact they were above average. There were other factors involved in the spike in corn price.

Also, since then the price of corn has dropped down to less than half the $7 per bushel peak. Nobody is willing to talk about why that happened.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Corn went up for the same reason crude oil went up. Wall Street speculators.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Corn went up for the same reason crude oil went up. Wall Street speculators.
BINGO! It had everything to do with manipulation and nothing to do with supply & demand.

Here's the other thing... Small companies financed and built most of these ethanol plants. Most of those small companies have gone bankrupt. So guess who is now buying the almost new ethanol plants for pennies on the dollar?

Stay tuned.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Pretty much what they said

Old 09-23-2009, 02:36 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,151 times
Default Wind Farms Compounding Negative Environmental Impact

Besides having long term negative implications upon ruminants Wind Farms clearly have altered and harmed migratory birds, even when the Wind Farm is miles from the migration route. The reason is because the electromagetic fields produced by these Wind Farms alter migratory birds homing features where some may be confused and fly directly towards a wind turbine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living