U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 AM

5,560 posts, read 4,978,013 times

Advertisements

Watch this on those who believe in Being green.

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/episodes.do

Penn and Teller consider the popularity of the "green" movement, a largely bogus and hypocritical philosophy that links sanctimonious politics to an "ethical" lifestyle while doing little or nothing to actually create a healthier ecosystem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM

17,700 posts, read 35,630,240 times
They did a similar show about recycling ... love those guys. I'll be interested in seeing it this week.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:44 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,453,064 times
they did a petition for the government to stop the use of hydrogen bi oxide a couple of years ago, it was astounding how many signatures they got to essentially ban water.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 AM

17,886 posts, read 54,207,525 times
LOL, in the preview, when they exclaimed "That's not a river rock, that's a driveway rock!" I wondered if they realized that driveways don't tumble rocks into a round shape, and that those rocks aren't manufactured.

As a kid, I'd often keep a few neat rocks in my pocket. Anyone who has come across a lake and not had a good skipping rock, or upon a snake without a stone to shoot at it, or ammo for a slingshot, or just a cool thing to look at when bored, is missing out in more ways than one. I can still smell the smell of those rocks, and feel the smoothness of them in my hand, see the way that the color changed as they got wet, hear the clink of them in my pocket. <sigh> Life changes. How much ya wanna bet you can no longer get on a plane with rocks in your pocket? Passengers might be dangerous with rocks, and they are needless weight to the airlines, so obviously the TSA employees have to get their rocks off.

As for the therapist in the video, therapists often work in ways that are seemingly nonsensical or irrelevant to the public, and yet have hidden meaning or insight to those who "get it". The thought that this one might have tapped into the basic idea that we have 10,000+ years of selective breeding towards being in contact with nature doesn't surprise me, and the concept makes sense.

People have personal and cultural memories. When I lived in Florida, it periodically freaked me out that there were no mountains and no rocks other than that punky coral limestone they try to pass off as rock. I grew up in a mountainous area with granite and schist outcroppings of rock, as did seven generations before me, and eventually the lack of hills and valleys was a factor in my moving out of Florida. In the years before I moved out, I'll admit that in addition to vacations to mountainous areas, I bought a bag of granite and a bag of river rock from Home Depot, just to have some reminder of real life near me. If someone had come into my life right when I was missing rocks, and gave one to me, that would have been cool and insightful. People looking on would probably think I had rocks in my head.

The sad part of my experience buying rocks in Florida, is that the granite did not come from quarries further north. Wanna guess where it came from? Yep. CHINA. China could supposedly make rocks and ship them across the ocean cheaper than they could be quarried and shipped a few hundred miles. What kind of world do we live in?

Will I watch the P&T show? Probably. Do I expect to learn anything new and insightful? Nope. Do I expect to see the same type of "put down" and vitriolic commentary that has become popular since Rush L broke the ground, and gained a huge salary and skipped jail for drug charges? Yep. Stone soup.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,227,931 times
^^^Great post Harry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living