Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

English student needs topic to write and speak about, how to give speeches, how to choose writing topic, environmental issues, carbon footprints, shallow society encourages waste

Old 07-20-2008, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 13,022 times

Advertisements

See topic. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
The wastefulness of "fashion" be it clothes, gadgets, consumer items etc.. How our throw away society is possibly the worst environmental issue facing western society -

Fads and fashions encourage us to waste, waste, waste, using energy to produce, package, and distribute ( and of course to dispose of as well when we are over with them). Everyone concentrates on how much fuel we use as drivers but fashion in my opinion is a total environmental nightmare and makes our driving look like a drop in the ocean.

We encourage indeed condone and glorify people to throw away perfectly decent things because it is no longer "trendy". Multiply consumer items by the billions they are produced and you realise the carbon footprint is just shocking. Yet nobody seems to ever mention that aspect of our lives. It also takes a lot of precious resources and energy to produce.

Fashion is also linked to terrible conditions for workers and is generally unethical.
We should be encouraging people to be better, more aware conusmers, to shop responsibly and with their brains rather than their "over-commercialled" "instinct". Buy much fewer goods, better made ones, and be willing to pay more for longer lasting quality .

Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsprintstar View Post
See topic. Thanks!
Here's a topic for you: the use of the internet to use others' ideas instead of thinking of something oneself.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:02 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,516 times
As an English teacher, I can say that there are thousands of good topics to write about, but the best topic is always the one that you, the writer, is most passionate about. Especially when making a speech, you need to be able to really convince your audience that they should care about this. That's hard to do if you don't really care about it yourself. So I would suggest that you brainstorm a bunch of things that you are passionate about and then see how they are affected by environmental issues. Example: If you love animals - what animals habitats are being threatened right now? If you love the beach/swimming/surfing etc., how is that being affected? If you love to travel, what places that you want to visit are undergoing serious environmental changes? If you love TV, how about all the new television shows and networks aimed at environmentalism?

Sorry to answer a question with a question but I know my best writing comes from my passions not what other people tell me to write about.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
Default how to make a good speech

Everyone gets ideas from somewhere else. Mine come from observation, sharing , listening and experience. I likewise feel speaking abouto things you are passionate about is the best. Last week I took my rowing machine to a Toastmasters meeting and gave a 7:12 speech about that. After the meeting, a half dozen of the twenty person audience came up to the front and tried it.

Environmental issues are all around us. Which ones affect you the most, or give you the greatest concerns? I could talk all day about environmental issues. The key is writing down your ideas one after the other without trying to think of them, afterwards going back and organizing them into a speech. Here are a few things that come to mind.

The Federal Reserve stealing our assets by means of the IRS and then using that money against us, who knows where. Even Congress doesn't know where the money is going. Did you know the Fed is not a part of the U.S. government, and yet they tell the government what to do? Why are our assets being taken from us? Why is the property that WE own being taxed by others, why don't they give us taxes for the properties they live in, and we can decide what to do with it?

The city here started dumping fluoride in the public water supplies three years ago after what they called a mandate, but against the wishes of the people. Prior to that I had a nice garden of vegetables every year, but haven't been able to grow them since as I don't want to have the toxic fluoride in my food. I could go into quite a bit more detail about this.

We are sold unhealthy packaged food for dogs and other pets. The BARF diet online has more information about this.

What is all the white stuff being sprayed by tanker jets, that spreads all over the skies, into the air that we breathe.

Why has the U.S. invaded Iraq, and other countries, and what are the environmental consequences, to Iraq, to us, and the rest of the world.

Why is it harder for organic farmers to get loans from banks.

Why do doctors and dentists use invasive methods, and scoff at healthy ones that save lives. The point if this speech could be showing ways to take good care of ourselves.

The oil, fuel, solar issue; centralization vs decentralization.

HAARP heating the ionosphere, and the melting north pole.

Most of the houses in the U.S. are built from wood. The forests are disappearing. What have humans been doing that has been causing the disappearing trees and forests.

Why are millions spent to put out the fires. In Mexico they just let them burn.

Houses in Brazil and other South American countries are built from earth, stone, concrete, or brick, and have relatively no problem with fire or termites.

These are just a few ideas on the spur of the moment. Pick your own ideas, especially considering things that are on your mind a lot and that affect you personally, or that affect people you know. I like starting speeches with questions, and finishing up connecting to the beginning along with a strong call to action. Personal stories are excellent. Most of all talk about things that you like and enjoy, and that are important to you.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
There is lots of information online and in the library about the centralized/industrialized food system. 1/5 of all the oil used in this country is for the transportation and processing of the food we eat from the farms they are grown on, to the huge centralized feedlots where the animals are raised, to centralized processing plants, then to further processors, and then to our grocery stores. The environmental, economic and health impacts of single-crop, centralized and industrialized farming in the US are extreme. You could do some research on this and pose a discussion of returning to bio-diverse small local farms providing wholesome, fresh foods for their immediate communities (100-mile diet)... thus reducing oil consumption, pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, unhealthy animals, low-nutrient commercial foods, less-than-healthy food additives, and government subsidization (our tax $) of farms (huge and small) that is required to support the centralized industrial food system.

Good books to start with are "Raise Less Corn, More Hell" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living