U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
4,933 posts, read 8,697,923 times
Reputation: 1642

Advertisements

-riding my bike to work 4 days a week (72 miles/week)
-bought a 1380 sq ft house built in 1900 in the heart of the city and exactly between school and work
-drive toyota corolla approx 32+ mpg
-no A.C. in house, use of fans and open windows instead
-newer more efficient furnace/water heater
-newer more efficient windows
-use a cloth bag for small shopping, always ask for paper instead of plastic at grocery store
-we mostly cook with fresh biodegradable ingredients as opposed to buying tons of processed products in cans and plastic bags, frozen and dried, etc.
-I planted an apple tree a few weeks ago
-we take the train whenever possible as opposed to driving, and usually several times on the weekend
-I repair and maintain my bike which was purchased used on craigslist for $90 instead of buying a new one, did the same with my last one until I totaled it when a lady talking on her cell phone in an SUV turned left right into me last summer (in the dangerous suburbs)
-my wife repairs my clothes as opposed to always just going out and buying new clothes
-we reuse our ziplock bags and plastic food containers
-I mow my lawn with a pushing reel mower
-my wife doesn't drive at all, she walks, bikes and uses public transporation

I'm still trying to find new and interesting ways to live green. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to install solar panels or a graywater irrigation system, but if I did I certainly would
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,605 posts, read 25,219,069 times
Reputation: 7507
I launder and iron our clothes, no more dry cleaning!

Rather than throwing out stale crackers, popcorn, bread, etc, I throw it to the birds

I bike with the kids and use the bike trailer to go to the grocery
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
4,933 posts, read 8,697,923 times
Reputation: 1642
I almost forgot one of my favorite things I do to live green. To avoid excessive flushing of my toilet I frequently urinate outside in my bushes and in public places.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 08-05-2008 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Minnysoda
5,139 posts, read 4,616,061 times
Reputation: 2354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
-riding my bike to work 4 days a week (72 miles/week)
-bought a 1380 sq ft house built in 1900 in the heart of the city and exactly between school and work
-drive toyota corolla approx 32+ mpg
-no A.C. in house, use of fans and open windows instead
-newer more efficient furnace/water heater
-newer more efficient windows
-use a cloth bag for small shopping, always ask for paper instead of plastic at grocery store
-we mostly cook with fresh biodegradable ingredients as opposed to buying tons of processed products in cans and plastic bags, frozen and dried, etc.
-I planted an apple tree a few weeks ago
-we take the train whenever possible as opposed to driving, and usually several times on the weekend
-I repair and maintain my bike which was purchased used on craigslist for $90 instead of buying a new one, did the same with my last one until I totaled it when a lady talking on her cell phone in an SUV turned left right into me last summer (in the dangerous suburbs)
-my wife repairs my clothes as opposed to always just going out and buying new clothes
-we reuse our ziplock bags and plastic food containers
-I mow my lawn with a pushing reel mower
-my wife doesn't drive at all, she walks, bikes and uses public transporation

I'm still trying to find new and interesting ways to live green. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to install solar panels or a graywater irrigation system, but if I did I certainly would
Your still useing electricity generated from Coal............... You should cut the wire...................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
4,933 posts, read 8,697,923 times
Reputation: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Your still useing electricity generated from Coal............... You should cut the wire...................
Can't do it, unfortunately I'm too poor to produce my own energy at this point in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 AM
 
2,279 posts, read 3,914,268 times
Reputation: 1998
-Start planting your own vegetables and beans and havest the seeds to reuse next year. If you don't have room, you can container garden.

-Also, start a compost pile. It really doesn't take much.

-Start harvesting the rain--at least for watering plants.

-Talk to the county extension agency to see how you can landscape your yard to cut down on engery use.

-Have at least one meat-free day a week. If you already do, try adding another day.

-Buy local first, organic second, ideally both, whenever you can. Keep a card in your wallet/purse listing the best and worst foods for pesticides.

-GET MORE CLOTH SHOPPING BAGS! Even if you don't always remember to bring them to the grocery store (ahem...not that I ever do....), it will cut down when you do.

-Shop the thrift stores (including for the shopping bags).

-Buy in bulk using your own containers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
 
125 posts, read 316,949 times
Reputation: 91
Here are some things I do that have not yet been mentioned.

-line dry clothes instead of using dryer
-always use cloth napkins
-take lukewarm and quick showers
-use "green bags" so my fruits and veggies last longer

I also do several of the options already listed. Would love to hear more ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
 
2,279 posts, read 3,914,268 times
Reputation: 1998
Along the washing yourself and your clothes--we only take showers everyother day or every two days, and we use our clothes until they are actually dirty. I also try to wash in cold water as much as possible. Although now we live in a hot climate and the washer has its own water heater (that we can turn off if need be) and the laundry room is located in a very hot room...so I don't know if it is using a lot of electricity or not--I wouldn't think it would take much to heat up the water.

Any thoughts on shaving? I use to not shave (about seven years), but I really didn't like wearing shorts or skirts with my hairy legs (I have really hairy legs). So now I shave about once every week or two weeks, letting the hair get as long as I can stand it; usually not at all during the winter. But shaving takes up resources, plus longer in the shower. I guess I have come to a pretty decent middle ground, as I only buy the razor heads once a year or a little longer, and use bar soap instead of shaving cream. Anyhow, I liked to hear anyone's way of saving on the shaving aspect (better razors, if electric is better than wet razor, etc).

What are the green bags you referred to Open Mind?

Ah--here is a green tip: get rid of your TV! It sucks up energy, both the electrical kind and the human kind. Plus all the ads seep into your brain and sooner or later you will find yourself really wanting that new gadget....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
 
125 posts, read 316,949 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Any thoughts on shaving? I use to not shave (about seven years), but I really didn't like wearing shorts or skirts with my hairy legs (I have really hairy legs). So now I shave about once every week or two weeks, letting the hair get as long as I can stand it; usually not at all during the winter. But shaving takes up resources, plus longer in the shower. I guess I have come to a pretty decent middle ground, as I only buy the razor heads once a year or a little longer, and use bar soap instead of shaving cream. Anyhow, I liked to hear anyone's way of saving on the shaving aspect (better razors, if electric is better than wet razor, etc).

What are the green bags you referred to Open Mind?
Fortunately, I do not really have to worry about shaving too often! The hair on my legs is very blond and fine and grows slowly. So I got lucky there.

Here is a link to the green bags I was talking about -

Reusable Produce Bag Set - ReusableBags.com :

I use all 3 items on this page to keep my produce lasting longer. They work wonderfully! The cotton bags work great because you can use them at the store and then put them in your fridge with the produce still in them. You can also dampen them and they will keep your lettuce crisp. The evert-fresh green bags can be used around 10 times and I try to use them longer. Once they stop working on your veggies, you can use them as regular food storage.

I actually bought all my reusable items from this site - big bags, produce bags, reusable water bottle, and more! But I think you can get the green bags at your local grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 AM
 
Location: New York
385 posts, read 695,383 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
-riding my bike to work 4 days a week (72 miles/week)
-bought a 1380 sq ft house built in 1900 in the heart of the city and exactly between school and work
-drive toyota corolla approx 32+ mpg
-no A.C. in house, use of fans and open windows instead
-newer more efficient furnace/water heater
-newer more efficient windows
-use a cloth bag for small shopping, always ask for paper instead of plastic at grocery store
-we mostly cook with fresh biodegradable ingredients as opposed to buying tons of processed products in cans and plastic bags, frozen and dried, etc.
-I planted an apple tree a few weeks ago
-we take the train whenever possible as opposed to driving, and usually several times on the weekend
-I repair and maintain my bike which was purchased used on craigslist for $90 instead of buying a new one, did the same with my last one until I totaled it when a lady talking on her cell phone in an SUV turned left right into me last summer (in the dangerous suburbs)
-my wife repairs my clothes as opposed to always just going out and buying new clothes
-we reuse our ziplock bags and plastic food containers
-I mow my lawn with a pushing reel mower
-my wife doesn't drive at all, she walks, bikes and uses public transporation

I'm still trying to find new and interesting ways to live green. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to install solar panels or a graywater irrigation system, but if I did I certainly would
Sounds great! I also bike and take the train. I am buying a house soon and will do a lot of upgrading to make it more green with the help of a town bill that was recently passed.

Oh and you'll need to plant another apple tree. Apple trees need to be 2 together to fertilize eachother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top