U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 05:45 PM

17,743 posts, read 53,880,773 times

Advertisements

I've said it before, I'll say it again. A lot of recycling is a scam to get people to work for free (cleaning bottles and cans). E-cycling seems to take it to a new level of depravity.

"Under the pretence of recycling, NHS computers have been dumped in Ghana, where their hard drives are mined of your confidential data by criminal gangs... while children die melting down the highly toxic empty shells. "

The Dirty Secret of Your NHS | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:39 PM

232 posts, read 762,768 times
I spent the 15 minutes it takes to read the article....

I think I may be sick.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 PM

17,535 posts, read 19,707,850 times
I known this since the 90's.... they were suppose to implement new "rules" but i knew it would be a facade to continue dumping used computer "trash" over in Africa (it nets them money and no landfills to pay)... there is quite a profit of the computer equipment over there... it all started with the scam emails traced back to Africa and then they found out the computers were "recycled" computers.... That's right... from your old computers it was used to scam the world..... billions of dollars in this scam... and its getting more sophisticated...

Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
Why am I not suprised? I thought they just crushed the boards and leached out the silver and gold using sodium cyanide or mercury.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:14 AM

56 posts, read 277,356 times
So, what is a person to do that has an old computer to recycle? I've been looking into places to dispose of an old computer and am afraid of stuff like this.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,795 times
i heard that dell does a recycling buissness

Old 08-16-2011, 07:44 PM

983 posts, read 2,170,891 times
Another company that I don't recall it's name had a big scandal last year. It was on TV, they followed the containers that were filled with the computers all the way to China were it was dumped there. This company was advertising they are green and when they had the CEO on TV he denied any knowledge of the shipment to China even when the TV person showed him the videos. My brain doesn't want to help me remember more than this, but I think the whole recycle thing is a big scam. Goodwill is advertising they recycle, not sure what they do with the machines.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 PM

860 posts, read 1,750,654 times
My kids bought this computer for my birthday 8 years ago. It'd probably make most of you laugh if you saw it or had to use it but I refuse to let it becme part of the toxic junk pile just because I want to update. When it dies I'll have to get rid of it but it won't be replaced. Life was fine before I had it, will be fine when it goes toast. I really do try to leave as little a footprint as possible, truth be told I won't like having to figure out how to dispose of this thing when it does go belly up.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:26 AM

130 posts, read 86,837 times
recycling e-waste is a good idea, and e-waste is considered a hazardous waste. we have to disposed it properly. can we recycle hazardous waste the answer is YES https://hazardouswastedisposalsandie...ardous-wastes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living