Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,698,772 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the Minnesota page but thought I'd share my frustration here as well.....

What the heck is wrong with people here in Minnasota????????
The Municapal Utility I work for is attempting to meet the Renewable Energy Mandate that was enacted recently. To help us meet that mandate we are planning on building a methane to energy facility on a landfill North of the Cities. Great! Wonderful! you think??? Not some of you! The NIMBY crowd around the sight is fighting our permit at the MPCA. Oh yes you want renewable energy you just don't want in your back yard.................10 people are going to kill this project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 11:15 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,916,013 times
The same 10 people will be lobbing for assistance from the government to pay for their energy bills.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:07 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,172,435 times
I saw this on the Mn page, so where is this in relation to YOUR house? Why not get a permit to put it in your neighborhood? Why is it that these things always seem to end up in and around neighborhoods, why not put it 20 miles out in the country so people don't have to deal with this? Some people in our old town wanted to put a homeless shelter right smack dab in the middle of a nice residential area and people are opposing it. Of course the proponents of this homeless shelter are crying about the NIMBY crowd too. Sorry, I would be a NIMBY on that as well given that there are a ton of little kids in that neighborhood. Why not put it in a commercial area, like the old HOTEL downtown?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,916,013 times
Everything has to be somewhere and people live all over. The residents in this case already had a landfill in their neighborhood. The methane is still going to be produced and need to be dealt with whether or not a power plant uses the methane to provide electricity for the area.
Sometimes I think residents should look for concessions instead of simply opposing.
In this case if I were being impacted I might be asking for free electricity for the time that the plant operates.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I saw this on the Mn page, so where is this in relation to YOUR house? Why not get a permit to put it in your neighborhood? Why is it that these things always seem to end up in and around neighborhoods, why not put it 20 miles out in the country so people don't have to deal with this? Some people in our old town wanted to put a homeless shelter right smack dab in the middle of a nice residential area and people are opposing it. Of course the proponents of this homeless shelter are crying about the NIMBY crowd too. Sorry, I would be a NIMBY on that as well given that there are a ton of little kids in that neighborhood. Why not put it in a commercial area, like the old HOTEL downtown?
IT's in a existing landfill, 4 miles from town. The closest house is 3/4 of a mile from the proposed engine plant. The landfill is currently flareing the methane, we're just trying to use that energy to make electricity...

Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,172,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
IT's in a existing landfill, 4 miles from town. The closest house is 3/4 of a mile from the proposed engine plant. The landfill is currently flareing the methane, we're just trying to use that energy to make electricity...
Are there additional dangers to this new proposal? I don't know anything about it, just asking questions I would ask if I were in that situation.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,578,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Are there additional dangers to this new proposal? I don't know anything about it, just asking questions I would ask if I were in that situation.

I would think that if the site was flaring methane that I would want someone to collect it! Light a match in the wrong place and Boom!

Unless the proposed work is going to make a lot of noise or cause the company to run pipelines or large power cables across the landowners property then the ones blocking it are not the brightest bulbs in the pack.

After the plant is completed we're talking freely generated energy from a landfill. The landfill isn't going anywhere, the methane isn't magically going to stop being produced under all that garbage. Why not put it to use? Some people are very shortsighted.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I would think that if the site was flaring methane that I would want someone to collect it! Light a match in the wrong place and Boom!

Unless the proposed work is going to make a lot of noise or cause the company to run pipelines or large power cables across the landowners property then the ones blocking it are not the brightest bulbs in the pack.

After the plant is completed we're talking freely generated energy from a landfill. The landfill isn't going anywhere, the methane isn't magically going to stop being produced under all that garbage. Why not put it to use? Some people are very shortsighted.
The plant will meet Residenitial sound requirements (65bd day 55db night) even though it's in a ag/light industrial zone. Although we do have to run line, it will be underground located under an existing power line.....Thats what makes it so stupid we are doing everything to make this project have 0 or neutral impact on the nieghborhood..........

Old 08-25-2008, 11:08 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,645,668 times
Just because a few oppose this development does not mean they will prevail if the rest of you get to the hearings and speak out for this form of energy recovery.

Sometimes you can win.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just because a few oppose this development does not mean they will prevail if the rest of you get to the hearings and speak out for this form of energy recovery.

Sometimes you can win.
I'm sure we will prevail. It just takes time and time is money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living