U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,968,571 times

Advertisements

There is main gas line about 1/4 mile fro house and the gas company won't run it to me unless I get all of my neighbor to sign up too. They are not interested. I told them ask for it so we get it - you don't have to use it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 PM

6,530 posts, read 6,466,290 times
Natural gas costs substantially less than propane and is a lot safer.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,968,571 times
Unfortunately, in my current house, it is something I will never see here. In addition, I wanted to hook a generator up to it so I would never have to worry about running out of fuel or it going bad. Gas lines rarely go bad or down, unlike my utility power.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 AM

2,777 posts, read 3,033,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Manufacturing solar panels involve toxic materials but very little of it is released into the air and water. Most of it comes from the toxic metals that are used and can be recaptured and disposed of properly.
False.

Solar Power's Toxic Footprint | Photovoltaic (PV) | ReWire | KCET

Quote:
One of those firms was the famously failed Solyndra, which reported production of 12.5 million pounds of hazardous waste -- one pound for every $42.80 the firm received in federal loan guarantees. Much of Solyndra's waste was cadmium-contaminated waste water.
That's one company.

But what's 12,500,000 pounds of cadmium in the water table where it eventually winds up?

Quote:
If factories near Shanghai are releasing the pollution into the environment, it's not because they have to.
Or they're trying to be profitable by minimizing expenses since they're businesses.

Quote:
That being said, the amount of pollution generated during the manufacturing of solar panels is minimal compared to that of burning organic materials. Today, the newest manufacturing processes have completely removed lead and cadmium making it even more safe.
Which...raises costs and reduces demand.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,635,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest
Manufacturing solar panels involve toxic materials but very little of it is released into the air and water. Most of it comes from the toxic metals that are used and can be recaptured and disposed of properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I found the following, from that article you posted, to be worth underlining...

Quote:
That's still significantly less hazardous waste than is produced per kilowatt-hour by conventional sources of power like coal and even "clean-burning" natural gas, of course, and much of the toxic stuff formed when fossil fuels are burned is dispersed throughout our air and water rather than sequestered in hazmat facilities.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,802,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
False.

Solar Power's Toxic Footprint | Photovoltaic (PV) | ReWire | KCET

That's one company.

But what's 12,500,000 pounds of cadmium in the water table where it eventually winds up?

Or they're trying to be profitable by minimizing expenses since they're businesses.

Which...raises costs and reduces demand.
That is 12,500,000 lbs of water. Not cadmium. Cadmium is relatively easily removed from water under these sorts of conditions.

The whole argument about transportation is a form of environmental silliness. In general you simply don't move the gunk and the problem goes away.

Cadmium has vast usages of which PV cells is a tiny fraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living