Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

I expect the "consumer" economy will take a heavy hit when the unemployed cannot pay their credit cards. Interesting times when people have to pay cash for their goodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 06:59 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
Was the Sceneca falls conference the end of sexism? Was WWI really the war to end all wars? Everything goes in circles, and regardless of the crusade du jour, people eventually get tired of it. Not saying it's good or bad, but people one the whole like what's comfortable and eventually tire of trying.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Was the Sceneca falls conference the end of sexism? Was WWI really the war to end all wars? Everything goes in circles, and regardless of the crusade du jour, people eventually get tired of it. Not saying it's good or bad, but people one the whole like what's comfortable and eventually tire of trying.
Do you mean people will tire of making greener choices? I would hope that some of those choices have become habit now for many people and even in tougher economic times people will continue to make green choices if at all possible.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Do you mean people will tire of making greener choices? I would hope that some of those choices have become habit now for many people and even in tougher economic times people will continue to make green choices if at all possible.

Yes. The people that are going green for the wrong reasons will tire of it. To them it's just the new "in" thing.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Please tell us- what green products have been "rammed down your throat"???
Incandescent light bulbs have been banned (after a cutoff date) forcing people to buy CFL's, etc. Only thing I can really think off off the top of my head.

And I would hope this would end some of the ridiculous consumerism, but I suspect everyone will simply expect the government to make it easy to keep it up.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,722 times
i think the whole point of this thread is being stretched in the wrong direction. when i look around my house i see the evidence of excessive discretionary spending.

when i was a kid our whole spending habits were different. when i went with my mom to buy shoes, she'd check to see whether they fitted, how much growth space there was and she was particularly interested in the quality. when i say quality, i mean she looked at the shoes and spent according to how long they'd last not who's name was on the insole.

nowadays we do things differently. we just buy, and buy and buy and buy some more. why do we buy? well for one thing everything is cheap. most importantly we buy because we CAN! either we have cash or we just charge it. when we get bored of our faux kitchens we just change them. when we tire of our cars we just get new ones etc

we don't prioritise our spending because whether we charge or pay cash we can all buy the CRAP that litters most western households. so do you think that we will be forced by the credit crisis to stop buying all this stuff or are tptb going to give us some more cheap money to continue our habit?

Old 09-24-2008, 04:40 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brently54 View Post
I sure hope not. I thoroughly enjoy living in excess.
Same here.

Besides, who defines excess. What's excess for one person may not be for another.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Same here.

Besides, who defines excess. What's excess for one person may not be for another.

excess is living outside your means, something we as a society have been doing for decades

Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
The state of the economy surely played a HUGE role in my home I just bought. We sold our 3100 sq ft space hog (mini-McMansion for those who know what excess is) due to relocation.

We bought a very nice but modest 1900 sq ft one level rancher in our new town. We will have 3 BR, 2 BA, an office, etc. And the costs of heating/cooler will be alot cheaper. We're going to replace the hot water heater (which is at the end of it's life) with a tankless to help save.

There just came a time when I admitted to myself, to hell with the Jones'. The Jones' don't make my house payments.

Also, there's lots else we'd like to do with the savings.

I don't know if you'd really classify it as living more green, or just living more responsible and frugal, but the state of the economy had a huge hand on what we bought. And it is still at the forefront of every decision we will make in the coming months.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
that includes all the "green" products which are being rammed down our throats.
No. It is the end of the unending largesse of the welfare state. The root of this problem were subprime mortgages, backed by quasi-government entities, given to people who had no business buying a home in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living