U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 PM
 
Location: The Frenchie Farm, Where We Grow 'em Big!
2,078 posts, read 5,658,867 times
Reputation: 1066

Advertisements

Why spend 10s of thousands, even 100K, for your own electric car when you can do it yourself at a fraction of the cost! All you need is a Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift and a motor from a forklift, and viola! An electric car of your own.

Posts tagged Forkenswift at AutoblogGreen

ForkenSwift.com - EV conversion on a beer budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 PM
 
Location: state of enlightenment
2,390 posts, read 4,677,111 times
Reputation: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Why spend 10s of thousands, even 100K, for your own electric car when you can do it yourself at a fraction of the cost! All you need is a Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift and a motor from a forklift, and viola! An electric car of your own.

Posts tagged Forkenswift at AutoblogGreen

ForkenSwift.com - EV conversion on a beer budget
You've finally seen the light! This is probably the granddaddy of DIY conversion kits: Electro Automotive

For 10-15k (plus donor car) you can have a 50-100 mpc EV.

Some other useful links:
Electric Auto Association - Membership (http://eaaev.org/eaamembership.html - broken link)
Live oil free: it's possible right now
DIY Electric Car Forums - Electric Vehicle Build and Conversion Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 05:27 AM
 
Location: Vermont
5,439 posts, read 14,786,597 times
Reputation: 2630
A 3 cylinder metro already gets 50+ mpg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,399,522 times
Reputation: 24613
Add the electric for local use and keep the engine for longer trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 AM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,730,502 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Add the electric for local use and keep the engine for longer trips.
Hey now, I'm liking that idea!

But I really do have to wonder if, in pure dollars and cents, it's worth it. Take away the environmental issues for a moment. Do you think it would be cost effective, due to the efficiency of the Metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,399,522 times
Reputation: 24613
The cost effective thing to do is live in a city with a good mass transit like Washington, DC. or if you can handle the stress, Gotham.

If you have to have a car an 8 yr old Geo Metro from a salt free area is a very good deal. Besides you can cut the springs, put on some stiffer shocks and have a blast driving a slow car fast. If you could find a turbo Diesel Geo metro or Isuzu pick up all the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 AM
 
Location: state of enlightenment
2,390 posts, read 4,677,111 times
Reputation: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Hey now, I'm liking that idea!

But I really do have to wonder if, in pure dollars and cents, it's worth it. Take away the environmental issues for a moment. Do you think it would be cost effective, due to the efficiency of the Metro?
$15k will buy an awful lot of gas esp. these days so from a purely economic point of view I hate to say it but an EV doesn't make sense unless it's the only car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 AM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,730,502 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The cost effective thing to do is live in a city with a good mass transit like Washington, DC. or if you can handle the stress, Gotham.

If you have to have a car an 8 yr old Geo Metro from a salt free area is a very good deal. Besides you can cut the springs, put on some stiffer shocks and have a blast driving a slow car fast. If you could find a turbo Diesel Geo metro or Isuzu pick up all the better.
I didn't know that Geo had a turbo diesel. But I know some of those foreign diesels are pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 09:20 AM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,730,502 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
$15k will buy an awful lot of gas esp. these days so from a purely economic point of view I hate to say it but an EV doesn't make sense unless it's the only car.
That's a good point.

I'm driving a 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that I bought for $450.00. It's in great shape, runs perfect, and gets almost 30 mpg on the highway. Obviously no payments, and $30 per month for minimum liability insurance. From a strictly financial point of view, it would be nothing short of crazy to stop driving that and sink $15-25,000 into a "more efficient" car.


Of course, like GregW said, going mass transit or maybe even riding a bike is a great move too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Status: "0-0-2 Game On!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
$15k will buy an awful lot of gas esp. these days so from a purely economic point of view I hate to say it but an EV doesn't make sense unless it's the only car.
Actually, the other way around. The spouse had a 6 mile commute to work, and in the nice weather he rode his bicycle and in so-so weather he wanted to build an electric car for his "commuter." It's as much for the fun of it as for the economic use.

The trick for building one (other than having fabricating skills) is to pick a car that already has an adapter plate (between the electric motor and the transmission) designed and built for it. On the other hand, we were going to convert a Fiat X1/9 and THAT had been done, so parts are available for most cars.

We know several people who drive - and race - electric cars, and they are an amusing bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top