Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 PM

143 posts, read 466,276 times

Advertisements

So far this is what I do and am looking for more ideas

cut up used paper and use it instead of stickies.

take paper out of the recycling bin and reuse it to print out reports ect..

scan as much as possibe

bought forks, knives and spoons at garage sales so that co-workers would

have option to use them instead of plastic.

use a glue stick instead of tape when ever possible.

brought in my own towel to use in the bathroom rather than using papertowels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 02:04 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,969 times
Bring a coffee cup to use in the morning rather than using a new Styrofoam one everyday. Buy a reusable plastic bottle and refill it with water from a Brita water pitcher rather than buying a bottle of water every day. I've been doing these things for quite awhile.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Dust with microfiber cloths. Wash them and do it again. No more paper towels!!! No more napkins..bring towels and wash them too. Offer guests water in glass cups or coffee cups..no more styrofoam and paper cups.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:58 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Before I retired I built and maintained anti-pollution devices in powerhouses, steel mills, refineries and chemical plants. Bag-houses, precipitators, over-fired air systems and such.

Sorry, didn't save paper cups and stuff like that.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:04 PM

83 posts, read 259,484 times
I'm collecting those recyclable mineral water bottles and give them to junk shops rather than disposing them elsewhere..

Old 12-21-2008, 09:21 PM

Bring your own silverware to work.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
I commute to work by bicycle nearly every work day. Today was commute day #216 for this year. It adds up, so far over 5000 bike commute miles this year. There's a few days per year the weather (in my area of southern cal) makes it too hazardous due to high wind or heavy rain to bike commute, but 98 percent of the time it's pretty good. My "plan B" on those few lousy days is walk one block to the bus stop and hop the bus for a relaxing 20 minute trip, and walk a couple of blocks to work.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
I work in a pediatric medical office. We used to change the table paper after every patient whether it was sat on or not (often a mom keeps her baby on her lap). Now the MD or PNP flips the end of the paper up onto the table to let the medical assistant know if it needs changing between patients. We are using about 25% less paper rolls!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
Does anybody remember when computers were first introduced? One of the main selling points was "going paperless and saving the rain forest." What the hell happened? Instead our paper consumption has increased beyond any stretch of the imagination. It seems for every soft copy there has to be a hard copy that is then destined for the shredder.
I suggest using the "print" button sparingly, and when you do consider using the other side of the paper. i.e, printing a store list, recipe, general information from a website. You can also reuse a lot of printed paper for children's coloring, etc.

Don

Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 AM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
At my workplace the company attempts all sorts of things to make a dent in waste or consumption of resources. The company has a large fleet of vehicles and has been replacing GMC metro vans with Ford Escape hybrids for some of the technicians. There is a solar panel array on the rooftop, but it contributes only about 2 percent of the total building power needs (this building has huge amounts of computer and telecom equipment that uses as much power as a small city). The latest thing to cut waste on paper towels is automatic paper towel dispensers that push out just the minimum amount of paper needed to dry off your hands. The only flaw in this that I noticed is they are powered by 4 D cell (flashlight type) batteries. I would guess the batteries need to be replaced a couple of times a month. There are dozens of these new fangled paper towel machines in the building. What's worse, using up boxes and boxes of D cell batteries per month or using up some extra paper towels??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living