Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 AM

809 posts, read 2,883,584 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any good recipes for all natural body lotion???? I'd love to make my own

(If you have any recipes for OTHER all natural body/face care that'd be awesome too!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Lanolin + secented oil is the basic lotion.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I'm lazy so I always just used the organic oil of what I like and rubbed it in. (coconut and olive are my favorites) I would like to get a sesame oil to try out. Strait oil shouldn't be used if you are getting ready fast in the morning though.(clothing just incase..which btw coconut is good for before bed because it doesnt stain fabric if it does get on things like other oils can)

But we were talking about these costal brushes in the beauty forum and I was checking out the page last night fully..
Coastal Scents:

At the bottom:
FORMULATOR (link in margin of page)
"Free to use for everybody
Can be used for any formula (soaps, lotions, makeup, bath bombs & more)
Choose between keeping the formula private or sharing it public
Calculates percentage, grams, ounces, pounds & kilo's automatically
Have access from any computer to your formula's"

Which is a lot nicer than having to figure things out on paper.

That particular store carries a shea butter and tells where it is from (fair trade shea as well)

There are some recipes at the bottom of this page:
Skin Care Body Lotions, Acne, Facial Recipes

Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,399 times
I love sugar/oil scrubs. I make mine with different oils, like virgin coconut, olive, jojoba, castor, things like that, but I found a site that has a collection of nice recipes.

Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes : TipNut.com

Old 02-10-2009, 05:13 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,573 times
Natural lotion is difficult because it is mainly water and anything containing water is a host for bacteria without a preservative. Even most "natural" commercial lotions contain some sort of preservative.

I like to mix unrefined shea butter with a bit of jojoba and/or vitamin E oil until I get more of a mousse texture. It takes less time to deal with and is great for after a shower or bath.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM

947 posts, read 3,407,900 times
Not really, but I have Olive oil that was too old to cook with so I am finishing it up on my hands, smell like an Italian kitchen though! I also add some essential oils to it. works well.

Yeah, buying lotions tends to add up quickly for the natural stuff anyway!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,493 times
Some of the true essential oils are antibacterial, some antifungal and some have antiviral properties.
Others help prolong the scent. The ones sold as fragrance oils do not have these properties. If you do a little reaearch and use only essential oils, you will be able to formulate a scent that is not easily contaminated. However, be aware that some of these oils do go rancid over time. For those I use a little sandlewood oil mixed in. Remember that all ingredients and utensils used in making the product should be steril to began with.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,482 times
Default Natural Organic Spa Products

We actually make our own products all the time. We use a combination of organic essential oils and other ingredients to create simple yet effective body lotions and such. One of the things I can suggest for someone just starting out is to not use products containing parabens and keep your batches small. Your ingredients will last longer and your lotions will be fresher longer.

If you are curious and want to check out the stuff that I make you can see my web site at [URL="http://www.patchmeuporganics.com"]Certified Organic & Natural Spa Body Care by Patch Me Up Organics[/URL]

Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Go get some virgin coconut oil at a health food store. It is solid to about 76 degrees, and above that is liquid. You can cook with it, bake with it, or slather it all over yourself. It smells wonderful and does not leave an oil slick on your skin. It is naturally anti bacterial, and does not spoil.
This is not to be confused with the processed coconut oil which is bad for you, but supposedly virgin coconut oil is very healthful, like olive oil.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,919 times
There are a number of sites which provide info on how to make your own lotions/body butters/scrubs and what not. You can select which oils/butters best meet your needs. Jojoba is a good all over oil but can be expensive. Grapeseed oil is good to use if you tend to have oily skin, but it does not have a long shelf life. Every oil/butter has it's own virtues so select something based on your skin type.

As was mentioned earlier, if you are making your own lotion you will need to use a preservative in order to keep your product safe. It can be kind of tricky keeping your lotion emulsified as water and oil normally do not blend together. I've made lotions/butters before and I just started an organic skin care business locally selling organic body polishes if interested go to: www.iberianinspirations.com

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living