U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 01:28 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,262,076 times

Advertisements

One of the promises Obama made during his campaign for the Presidency was to reduce the number of Nuclear Weapons in the United States arsenal. I have an idea that could make no longer needed missile silos into a good source of Alternative Energy.

There are thousands of underground missile silos in Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota and other Western States. Many of these missile sites have already been declared obsolete and abandoned. I have been inside a few of these humongous holes in the ground. They are usually stripped of anything valuable and then sold or filled in with dirt and just left in place.

I have been working for several years to come up with a new type of Windmill. I have three ideas that I am going to pursue patents on.

I think Wind Power could add a lot to the overall ENERGY situation in the USA however I think there are uses for Wind Power besides generating electricity to add to an Electric Grid. One solution I came up with would use a WindMill located on the site of one of these abandoned missile silos. The missile silo would be made as airtight as possible and used as a giant storage tank for compressed air. Actually this would probably be very easy since they were originally designed to be airtight and could withstand Nuclear Blasts nearby. My idea would be to use WindMills to compress air and store this compressed air in the missile silos for power when needed. Compressed air is a good source of power when it can be used near a location.

Other uses might be to pump various liquids through pipelines. Using the WindMill to generate the power to compress gases in the atmosphere as a source for supercooled like Oxygen, Nitrogen etc.

A hole 300 feet deep and twenty four feet in diameter filled with compressed air at 200 PSI would be one huge battery.

Anyone else got an idea how this could be used?

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 PM

795 posts, read 1,231,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
One of the promises Obama made during his campaign for the Presidency was to reduce the number of Nuclear Weapons in the United States arsenal. I have an idea that could make no longer needed missile silos into a good source of Alternative Energy.

There are thousands of underground missile silos in Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota and other Western States. Many of these missile sites have already been declared obsolete and abandoned. I have been inside a few of these humongous holes in the ground. They are usually stripped of anything valuable and then sold or filled in with dirt and just left in place.

I have been working for several years to come up with a new type of Windmill. I have three ideas that I am going to pursue patents on.

I think Wind Power could add a lot to the overall ENERGY situation in the USA however I think there are uses for Wind Power besides generating electricity to add to an Electric Grid. One solution I came up with would use a WindMill located on the site of one of these abandoned missile silos. The missile silo would be made as airtight as possible and used as a giant storage tank for compressed air. Actually this would probably be very easy since they were originally designed to be airtight and could withstand Nuclear Blasts nearby. My idea would be to use WindMills to compress air and store this compressed air in the missile silos for power when needed. Compressed air is a good source of power when it can be used near a location.

Other uses might be to pump various liquids through pipelines. Using the WindMill to generate the power to compress gases in the atmosphere as a source for supercooled like Oxygen, Nitrogen etc.

A hole 300 feet deep and twenty four feet in diameter filled with compressed air at 200 PSI would be one huge battery.

GL2

Maybe you could take it a step further by cooling the incoming air and heating the compressed air. I know air is heated when it is compressed so an intercooler could help pull in more air and heating the air after it is stored could help increase the pressure.

Have you decided the type of wind vanes you plan on using? If you haven't, look into the new double helix vanes. They claim to have a lot of advantages over traditional vanes.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:41 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,262,076 times
Majordomo said:
"Have you decided the type of wind vanes you plan on using? If you haven't, look into the new double helix vanes. They claim to have a lot of advantages over traditional vanes."

I have decided on the type of vanes MajorDomo. Two of my approaches that I will be filing provisional patents for shortly use a new type of structure that is totally unique. The other provisional patent will be an improvement on an existing patent. I have looked into the double Helix systems but my ideas are totally different. Some of them do look like they have certain advantages though. It is very difficult to design a system that is relatively cheap, low maintenenence, works in low winds, work and survive high winds, work in low temperatures and icy conditions and efficient. I think two of my designs can do just that. The third idea is an improvement on the large vane type that is being used by a large percentage of the big players in the business.

I have researched thousands of the Patents that exist in the U.S. Patent database and there are quite a few ideas in there that seem to me to be a lot better than the propellor blade types used in large commercial applications. Several ideas that I thought were original to me had already been patented but are not being manufactured today. I am just thankful that thanks to the INTERNET it is possible to do very good patent searches for FREE. Thank Gawd AL GOre invented the INTERNET, LOL.

As far as using an Intercooler on compressed air that is a good idea. When you are storing compressed air you want as much of the heat as possible to be removed from the air. So storing it at a higher temperature would be counterproductive. Releasing it into a chamber and then heating it MIGHT be beneficial.

GL2

Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 PM

8,619 posts, read 8,525,111 times
all ready being done.Not to successfully but they are trying......
Compressed-air energy storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Energy Services Bulletin

Old 01-31-2009, 05:51 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,780,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

GL2
Awesome! People like you will help create our future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living