Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Does your electric come from the same pole as your neighbor? If it does case closed, your electric usage on a per unit basis is creating just as much pollution as your neighbor.
Case not closed at all. The resource that is used to support my load is renewable. The fact that the energy is commingled on common wires is irrelevant. The tracking system for electricityis precise enough to identify and match specific resources and loads.

Quote:
That is not what I posted though, specifically I said if they used an equal amount of energy. Of course every house is going to be different on what they need.
Yes, I corrected another one of your conceptual errors

Quote:
FYI Al Gore didn't renovate his house until very recently, at the same time he was preaching to the rest of us to conserve energy he was consuming a whopping 12X the average. I've no doubt even with the renovations he's still consuming a far greater amount than your average home... He can justify it by buying carbon credits though? Off himself no doubt.
Proof? BTW Gore was preaching to reduce your impact on the environment, not conserve energy. Please work on your factual accuracy. Someone who was less forgiving would presume that you were deliberately slandering a Nobel laureate.

Again just to correct the record, Gore bought green energy from his utility, the Nashville municipal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 02:09 PM

114 posts, read 180,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'm not paying extra for my pollution. I'm paying extra so that the energy resources allocated to my consumption comes from wind.
So can you detail that out?
The extra money goes where?

And as far as Al Gore----doesn't he own GIM (Generation Investment Management)[COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][/color][/color]?
so he is positioned to make billions once the people start paying the carbon credits....

And again...
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/...all.php?page=1

The European Union started with the most high-minded of ecological goals: to create a market that would encourage companies to reduce greenhouse gases by making them pay for each ton emitted into the atmosphere. Four years later, the carbon trading system has created a multibillion-euro windfall for some of the continent's biggest polluters, with little or no noticeable benefit to the environment so far.

Last edited by triton74; 03-02-2009 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 02:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Case not closed at all. The resource that is used to support my load is renewable. The fact that the energy is commingled on common wires is irrelevant. The tracking system for electricityis precise enough to identify and match specific resources and loads.
You're attempting to allay your guilt of consuming electric by buying your way out of it. When you turn your thermostat up the coal fired coal plant down the street has to ramp up or down to meet those demands just as it would for your neighbor doesn't it? What supplies your electricity when no wind is blowing? What supplies your electricity when more Carbon credits are sold than can be offset...

Fool yourself all you want but when turn on a 60 watt bulb you're creating just as much pollution as the next guy. Frankly you're the worst kind of offender because as you state "what is wrong with consumption if it's from renewables". That stement is fine IF it were from reneables but it is not. Because you can pay more for electric you think you're somehow bwtter than the rest of us?

Quote:
Proof? BTW Gore was preaching to reduce your impact on the environment, not conserve energy. Please work on your factual accuracy. Someone who was less forgiving would presume that you were deliberately slandering a Nobel laureate.
If the show fits you gotta wear it. What planet are you on? This has been widely reported from many media outlets and I have yet to see anyone from the Gore camp dispute the figures. Coincidetally the same group that reported the original story is now reporting that he's using 10% more electric after the renovation.

He like you is trying to fool himself and the public into thinking he's being green by buying his way out of it but the fact is his electric comes from the same damn power line as his neighbors. You apprently have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

Do the resrch yourself, I'm tired of having to point pout your mistakes with real information. It's easy to find...

Let me google that for you

Old 03-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton74 View Post
So can you detail that out?
The extra money goes where?
To the owner of the wind farm that supplies my electricity. That's the idea, my purchases provide a market for his power so that he makes money and builds more projects.

Quote:
And as far as Al Gore----doesn't he own GIM (Generation Investment Management)?
so he is positioned to make billions once the people start paying the carbon credits....
I own stock in several renewable companies. It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

Quote:
The European Union started with the most high-minded of ecological goals: to create a market that would encourage companies to reduce greenhouse gases by making them pay for each ton emitted into the atmosphere. Four years later, the carbon trading system has created a multibillion-euro windfall for some of the continent's biggest polluters, with little or no noticeable benefit to the environment so far.
Four whole years later.... Wow! Did you read any of the scientific reports published by the IPCC? Do you understand that it will take decades before we make a difference to the environment? It's a pretty big globe.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
You're attempting to allay your guilt of consuming electric by buying your way out of it. When you turn your thermostat up the coal fired coal plant down the street has to ramp up or down to meet those demands just as it would for your neighbor doesn't it? What supplies your electricity when no wind is blowing? What supplies your electricity when more Carbon credits are sold than can be offset...
No, utilities rarely load follow with coal. As long as I meet my energy consumption with renewable resources the net effect is a measurable reduction in GHG emissions. Why is that a hard concept for you to grasp?

Quote:
Fool yourself all you want but when turn on a 60 watt bulb you're creating just as much pollution as the next guy. Frankly you're the worst kind of offender because as you state "what is wrong with consumption if it's from renewables". That stement is fine IF it were from reneables but it is not. Because you can pay more for electric you think you're somehow bwtter than the rest of us?
Because of my decision to buy renewable energy there is more wind power in the resource mix of the PJM power pool. It's really quite simple, why is this eluding you?

Quote:
If the show fits you gotta wear it. What planet are you on? This has been widely reported from many media outlets and I have yet to see anyone from the Gore camp dispute the figures. Coincidetally the same group that reported the original story is now reporting that he's using 10% more electric after the renovation.
What is widely report and why do you have a man crush on Al Gore? Nothing I do is because of Al Gore. I'm guided by the science not the politicians.

Quote:
He like you is trying to fool himself and the public into thinking he's being green by buying his way out of it but the fact is his electric comes from the same damn power line as his neighbors. You apprently have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

Do the resrch yourself, I'm tired of having to point pout your mistakes with real information. It's easy to find...

Let me google that for you
You seem to have this fixation about the wires. The issue is the energy resource. Maybe you've had your head inside a coal boiler too long and the carbon monoxide is affecting you. Check your cuticles -- are they red? That's a bad sign.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Avoiding the discussion again.. Only makes you look foolish. Does or does not your electric come from the same electric line as your neighbor?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Avoiding the discussion again.. Only makes you look foolish. Does or does not your electric come from the same electric line as your neighbor?
What is the world?

Of course I'm connected to the same delivery system as my neighbor. Are you connected to the same street as your neighbor. Is it possible to deliver different groceries to two houses using the same street? What possible issue is the delivery system? It's a matching of loads and resources that is important.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM

114 posts, read 180,401 times
Quote:
To the owner of the wind farm that supplies my electricity. That's the idea, my purchases provide a market for his power so that he makes money and builds more projects.

I own stock in several renewable companies. It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

Four whole years later.... Wow! Did you read any of the scientific reports published by the IPCC? Do you understand that it will take decades before we make a difference to the environment? It's a pretty big globe.
Too bad we don't have the wind farm option; my concern is that there will be a lot of scams going on with the carbon trading system. Matter of fact, while the western countries are being taxed or doing whatever carbon scheme is forced upon them, countries like India, China or Brazil will have no regulations. And if they say they do, who is going to be there to enforce them? I come from a third world country and even though you see politicians saying they will cooperate and do whatever, bottom line is that in the end, they take the money for themselves, and nothing is done or enforced. Oh yea...and what's being done to prevent hospitals from throwing their medications down the drain?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Too bad we don't have the wind farm option; my concern is that there will be a lot of scams going on with the carbon trading system. Matter of fact, while the western countries are being taxed or doing whatever carbon scheme is forced upon them, countries like India, China or Brazil will have no regulations. And if they say they do, who is going to be there to enforce them? I come from a third world country and even though you see politicians saying they will cooperate and do whatever, bottom line is that in the end, they take the money for themselves, and nothing is done or enforced. Oh yea...and what's being done to prevent hospitals from throwing their medications down the drain?
There are major renewable programs in China and India that I know of. Brazil I'm less familiar with. China and India have to come into the tent, I agree. Right now both are using US non-participation as an excuse. We in the US need to walk the talk. Our only hope is for the western countries to lead the way and then to help second and their world countries with sustainable development.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
richurch---------are you saying that two houses ,side by side, one can get renewable electricity and one can get non-renewable electricity?

How many power lines do they run on poles where you live ?
Have you backtracked the electric lines from your house all the way to the power source to verify your house is getting only electricity from wind?

Are they color coded different ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living