Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Do you agree that overpopulation is having a negative impact on the earth?
Why or why not?

Is there anything you're personally doing to NOT contribute to overpopulation? Adoption? Sterilization or a vasectomy? Family planning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
As a Christian, I'm torn on this issue. I know that God commanded us to be fruitful and multiply, and I trust that He will provide for us. Yet, I believe we have a responsibility to use our resources wisely, which unfortunately, the majority of people fail to do. So from that standpoint, definitely it is having a negative impact on the earth. If all humans were responsible, I don't think it would be nearly as big of an issue.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM

524 posts, read 941,966 times
I guess lesbians and gay are helping dramatically

Old 11-14-2008, 03:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times
Overpopulation is the most important issue in going green. What is the sense in having more efficient cars, when there are going to be more of them anyway? Overpopulation increases polution. It puts more demand on the need for petro fuels? Overpopulation depletes resources, it increases garbage and junk going to landfills that are over flowing. Overpopulation is the one issue people don't want to talk about when it comes to going green. This is not rocket science. The only country doing something about over population is China, and they are often condemded for it.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Overpopulation is the most important issue in going green. What is the sense in having more efficient cars, when there are going to be more of them anyway? Overpopulation increases polution. It puts more demand on the need for petro fuels? Overpopulation depletes resources, it increases garbage and junk going to landfills that are over flowing. Overpopulation is the one issue people don't want to talk about when it comes to going green. This is not rocket science. The only country doing something about over population is China, and they are often condemded for it.
China is not being condemned for their population growth limits but HOW they are achieving that and the late term abortions, killing of infant girls so families can have a boy, etc. Most families in the US have 2 kids--having 2 kids/family maintains population. We have 3 kids, not by choice, our last two are twins, should we send one back?

I do feel there is a responsibility to not overpopulate and there are issues with that. I think in today's day having 10+ children is not responsible. As for the Bible, we did go forth and multiply. Keep in mind, at that time the WORLD population was under a million people. We have multiplied-mission complete.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:08 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Is it truly an issue of overpopulation?

People do tend to cluster in cities.

The majority of the US is rural with population densities of below 10 people per square mile.

Most of our fertile farm land has been turned into housing and population centers, so it is no longer available for farming.

However the majority of our farm production is shipped overseas, while 50% of our food source has shifted to imports.

It makes little sense. But is this over-population?

I live in a town with a population density of 8 people per square mile. It does not 'feel' overly populated to me.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zednemtheadventurer View Post
I guess lesbians and gay are helping dramatically
exactly. I don't know why people are so against natural population control

Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Overpopulation? Perhaps people that complain about it will off themselves and the problem will be solved... I doubt they would...

Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Overpopulation? Perhaps people that complain about it will off themselves and the problem will be solved... I doubt they would...
Ha, the thought has crossed my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Is it truly an issue of overpopulation?

People do tend to cluster in cities.

The majority of the US is rural with population densities of below 10 people per square mile.

Most of our fertile farm land has been turned into housing and population centers, so it is no longer available for farming.

However the majority of our farm production is shipped overseas, while 50% of our food source has shifted to imports.

It makes little sense. But is this over-population?

I live in a town with a population density of 8 people per square mile. It does not 'feel' overly populated to me.
Clustering in cities is more of an issue of overcrowding.
Overpopulation is more like too many people and not enough resources-oil, food, water, etc

Old 11-15-2008, 09:37 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
Where did the Bible quote us to "go forth and multiply"? My understanding is that God said this to the animals. As a bachelor who does not intend to marry or procreate, am I sinning? Or is God looking upon me favorably because I'm not contributing to overpopulation?

And as for most of our fertile land being used by cities, well, that's just ludicrous. Look at the Midwest--Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and many other states around the country. Fact is, most of America lives in cities, but cities take up a small proportion of the total land area. Most of our fertile land has NOT been turned into cities--much has, yes, but we still produce more than enough to fee our nation.

And where do you get your statistics that 50% of food is exported and most of ours is imported? Please don't throw around statistics unless you can back them up, plausibly.

For those of you who are concerned about overpopulation, let me ask you what your thoughts are on allowing millions of people to come here illegally. That leads to over population of America. Shouldn't we be working to protect our natural resources from an unsustainable population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living