Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

The Ford and Honda hybrids due out this month are among dozens planned for the coming years as automakers try to meet new fuel-efficiency standards and please politicians overseeing the industry's multibillion-dollar bailout.

Unfortunately for the automakers, hybrids are a tough sell these days.

Hybrid car sales go from 60 to 0 at breakneck speed - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
All cars are a tough sell these days. $15 - 35 k is just too much for a vehicle when you cannot take the price out of your increased house hold equity. All of the auto makers are going to have to cut prices by 1/3 to 1/2 to sell anything. Hard times for all.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
It's why we need CAFE standards.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Doesn't surprise me at all. Hybrids are generally considered a wash in the cost benefit ratio considering the premium that is charged for them and savings of fuel. They do emit less carbon themselves, but often require a number of rare earth minerals in their construction, so it's a possibility of a wash in manufacture too. So why would anyone pay a good deal higher upfront cost for them when they can push out the higher costs over the lifetime of the car?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:19 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I agree, car sales in general have plummetted. Plus, most people who wanted a hybrid bought it before 2009 so they could take advantage of the tax break that just recently expired.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
So why would anyone pay a good deal higher upfront cost for them when they can push out the higher costs over the lifetime of the car?
It depends on how much you drive. I do a great deal of driving, and my 2005 Prius more than paid for itself quite some time ago.

But I didn't buy it for that reason. And you're probably right, people who measure the value of a cars by how well it "stretches a dollar" would probably do better getting some used Yugo or other lightweight tin can of a car and driving it to death.

I bought it because I thought it was so much fun. I love a lot of the features, but my favorite has to be the silence when you drive. I get such a kick from having a silent car--makes me feel like I'm piloting a stealth bomber!

Also, I think the car's cute. I've driven it for more than four years now and still think it's my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But it's a personal taste--and IMO the people who share that sort of taste have probably already bought one. There's only so many of us.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
All cars are a tough sell these days. $15 - 35 k is just too much for a vehicle when you cannot take the price out of your increased house hold equity. All of the auto makers are going to have to cut prices by 1/3 to 1/2 to sell anything. Hard times for all.
You're absolutely right. I read recently that every single car maker had a drop of at least 30% in their sales in January 2009, compared to January 2008. (Don't quote me on that, but the trend is obviously there.)

We also cannot deny the impact of gas at $1.79 per gallon as opposed to $4.00 per gallon. People are parking their small cars and getting out the trucks again.

I almost hate to say it, but I think one of the best things that could have happened - long term - is if gas would have gone to $5.00 per gallon and stayed there for a year. I think that might have permanently turned the tide toward fuel efficient and/or hybrid vehicles.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're absolutely right. I read recently that every single car maker had a drop of at least 30% in their sales in January 2009, compared to January 2008. (Don't quote me on that, but the trend is obviously there.)

We also cannot deny the impact of gas at $1.79 per gallon as opposed to $4.00 per gallon. People are parking their small cars and getting out the trucks again.

I almost hate to say it, but I think one of the best things that could have happened - long term - is if gas would have gone to $5.00 per gallon and stayed there for a year. I think that might have permanently turned the tide toward fuel efficient and/or hybrid vehicles.
If people pull out their gas guzzlers again the price will be back to $4.00/gallon. Pretty stupid, but I can easily see "Joe the Plumber" doing that. ***** at the government about CAFE standards, then ***** at the government about high fuel prices. In this country we used to have a ethic of taking responsibility for you actions, now we just blame it on the government.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I was one who switched. I looked for two years.

It came down to the Prius, Camry, and Vue Hybrid.

I gave up on Saturn actually building the Vue.

I dropped the Prius because it drives like a brick and is just too small for me. I just barely fit in it. I liked driving Tinker Toys when I was younger, but I prefer some heft to my vehicles now.

Kia announced a $5k rebate last October. Toyota gave no deals and I would have waited 3 months for the car.

I compared the estimated cost minus my trade-in for the Sorento and the Camry, then figured the cost of fuel at $6.00 a gallon from the day I bought the vehicle. I thought that might end up being a good average over the next 10 years. Could be a bit low, though.

Nine years to payback.

I bought the Kia.

The price of gas plummeted right after I bought. I now estimate I will be trading the Kia before I ever reach payback.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
You're right Tek Freak. ^^

5 years ago I wanted to buy my wife a VW New Beetle for our anniversary. I would really liked to have gotten a TDI. I loved the 48-50 mpg highway mileage, as opposed to 31 for the gasser.

Unfortunately, the TDI was going to cost $3000 - $3500 more than the equivalent gas model. At that time, when diesel fuel was less expensive than gas, it was going to take me 70,000 miles before I recovered the extra cost.

I went with the gas model.

The unfortunate truth is that many of these hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles are just too expensive for John Q Public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living