Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:27 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You do realize, don't you, how many pollutants kerosene blows into the air?

That's all I was pointing out.
Less than a power plant. Very little actually if burning correctly and efficiently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM

584 posts, read 2,423,574 times
All lights on and the refrigerator door is open too.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Less than a power plant. Very little actually if burning correctly and efficiently.
Most likely you are correct. The best is when someone goes ballistic on me because I'm heating with coal and they'll get all high and mighty because they heat with nice clean electric... bwahahaha.. then the fun begins.

Firstly half their power is produced by coal which in some cases is shipped great distances via rail. Power plants have a low efficiency and you have further reductions because of the inefficiencies of delivering that power to you.

On the other hand I'm using anthracite coal which has lower emissions than bituminous used in coal plants. It's smokeless and ideal for even heating in urban environment. My boiler has no listed specs for efficiency but is probably about 80 to 85% efficient. A similar design to mine which they tested over 2 years came out to nearly 87%. The coal is mined, processed very near where I live and delivered in bulk which makes it a very efficient delivery system.

End result is my impact on the environment is lower than someone using electric for heat.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well of COURSE a kerosene heater kicks out less exhaust than a power plant. But it's also not providing electricity and/or heat to 25,000 homes.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I'm just pointing out that sometimes our efforts at conservation and green living don't net us that much. On the other hand, if it's a lifestyle you're after, that is its own reward.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
On the other hand I'm using anthracite coal which has lower emissions than bituminous used in coal plants. It's smokeless and ideal for even heating in urban environment. .
Would you tell me a little more about that kind of coal - as I'm totally clueless about it.

Where do you get it, by the way? I mean, how does "Joe Consumer" go about getting that kind of coal?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Didn't hear anything about it.

We conserve anyway - or should I say we are not wasteful.

Seems that if everybody walked for a day rather than drove - that would be a sacrifice worth noting.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Well of COURSE a kerosene heater kicks out less exhaust than a power plant. But it's also not providing electricity and/or heat to 25,000 homes.
You're missing the point, when you move or convert energy you always have a loss. If you want to calculate what is causing more pollution you need to take all factors into consideration. For example the pollution I'm causing would be much less than if the product had to be shipped half way across the country because you're causing pollution to move it there.

I'm not aware of fact sheets that list such numbers and you'd need a spreadsheet to do the calculations if you really wanted some accurate numbers since it's going to change for everyone. Be quite complicated actually. Doing the coal comparison it's quite easy to arrive at the conclusion you're causing less pollution because you're comparing nearly identical fuel sources.

Quote:
Where do you get it, by the way? I mean, how does "Joe Consumer" go about getting that kind of coal?
Assuming by your name most likely it would be quite expensive if available at all in your area. Anthracite (also called hard coal) is mined only in Northeastern Pennsylvania, it's used almost exclusively for home heating. Water filtration would another use. <gasp> It's the highest rank of coal and nearly 100% carbon. It's about double the cost of bituminous coal, locally it's around $160 per ton at the moment. That more than doubles because of shipping costs in Maine, Mich etc. That's about the breaking point where it gets to be too expensive to compete. Having said that if you could find a trucking firm coming back from this area empty you might make out.

Anthracite & Bituminous Coal Forum

Heating with Coal, is it for Me?- A Beginners Guide

Old 03-28-2009, 11:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
WHAT??? You want people to actually put forth REAL EFFORT that might MEAN something? Get real!
They could actually sweat, they couldn't play their music, drop the kids off, pick the kids up, or scoot to the store after work or Starbucks before or the local sushi place for lunch, if they WALKED! Think what you are ASKING, for goodness' sake!! What kind of inhuman beast ARE you???

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. My lights, PC, and TV were all on, TYVM. If I had had the time and money I would have rented a spotlight so they could have seen me on the satellites.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:02 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Or maybe she knows how you are. "Too intelligent" indeed. That's the real hoax - keeping convincing yourself. It's amusing.
Why do liberals always personally insult other people? Why do they carry so much anger all the time? As a fiscal conservative and social moderate, I don't get caught up in this fad, hyped nonsense. I deal with facts and reality. The things that the liberal cult follows are usually factless and feel good crap. This feel good crap usually has good intentions, but disastrous results, as their so-called solutions are never really thought through. This results in more damage and wasted money than if they had used common sense first. Such as, how did the Earth go through EXTREME global warming (fireball actually) many times over when man was not even on the planet? If the Earth decides it want to do it again, how do you think man can stop it when we weren't even on the planet every other time it happened?

Again...COMMON SENSE.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I spent most of yesterday at an Organic scion exchange and seed-saver exchange, and I heard nothing about any symbolic gesture toward Al Gore until it was too late.

I guess it is the difference between folks who are doing things, verses folks who are doing symbolic things.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living