U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 11:14 AM

15,777 posts, read 20,087,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ichela View Post
In 1972, The Conneticut Legislatiure under the pressure of CL&P and UI lobbyists ran a law through that mandated all homes be electrified after 1973 in order to obtain an occupancy permit. Admended to that,in the 1990s,
all homes must have hard-wired smoke alarms that obtain their power from the mains. No one has the legal chutzpuh to argue against it, or seems to want to . Those who tried to live without electricity found thair homes condemmed and/or torn down.

With the State of Conn eating out of their hands. the electric utilities demanded more and more rate hikes from the DPUC. My current electric rate is 19.2 cents per KWH! Being on disabiliy, that eats alot out of my disability, Average electric bill is about $120-140 monthly! Heat and Hot water are included in my rent, My apartment has an Electric stove. (Yuck!) Prefer Gas or wood cooking.
I would never live in such a nanny state. No Amish in CT to challenge it on religious grounds and start tearing that law apart?

Old 04-18-2009, 11:33 AM

65 posts, read 216,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I would never live in such a nanny state. No Amish in CT to challenge it on religious grounds and start tearing that law apart?
You are right, There isn't any old order Amish at all, in Connecticut. Being Legally blind.... and on disability... I don't have the funds to fight it either.

I may not be Amish, but... is there any communities in Ohio or Pennsylvania that are receptive to non-Amish? I was born and raised as Roman Catholic. Any RC communities that are welcome to a person wbo wants a simple Amish type lifestyle?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,968,490 times
does that CT law apply to all houses or only to houses rented out.

(I ask because a poster mentioned--"occupancy permit" )

Many states have stricter laws regarding houses that are rented out.

I believe in my state you need an approved sceptic system installed before a building permit for a house is issued or a house deed can be transferred.

A farmer friend of mine was in the process of buying a run down farm next to his for the land and was going to tear the house and other buildings down.

He was told since the previous owner had an outhouse and was "grandfathered in" he had to either install a new sceptic system or agree to tear the old house down immediately upon the transfer.

Where I live, Forest Breath would not have been allowed to move into that 100 year old house without the sewer system being upgraded to code and our code is quite strict.

The house on my farm was built in 1955 ( one story rambler) and the sceptic system works great.

In order for me to sell to my son (or get a building permit to make improvements on the house) the sewer system would have to be repaced.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,968,490 times
Being legally blind and disabled (B'chela ) is not a good position to be in to avoid electricity.

Unless you are able to cut and split your own firewood, you are MORE dependant on others while living a non-electric lifestlyle / dream.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
does that CT law apply to all houses or only to houses rented out.

(I ask because a poster mentioned--"occupancy permit" )

Many states have stricter laws regarding houses that are rented out.

It covers both Rentals and Home sales for single family occupancy.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Being legally blind and disabled (B'chela ) is not a good position to be in to avoid electricity.

Unless you are able to cut and split your own firewood, you are MORE dependant on others while living a non-electric lifestlyle / dream.
You would be surprised at what this woman with 20/200 vision can do! Lets see:

1. Electrical
2. light construction
3. light plumbing
4. Heavy computer maintainence (TEXT mostly as GUIs give me a migraine)
5. Post on the internet
6, light sewing, (Severly nearsighted, but darn good with a thread and needle.)

For me, and the totally blind. I use my fingers as eyes more than my eyes on such fine work.

Sadly, I cannot drive a car. Although I can ride a horse. (No stables in my area though.)

Never tried splitting wood. I have seen it done and I believe with some practice I can manage to do it. If things remain as they are.... I may have no choice but to learn to do these things quickly, economic failures and 2012.

However your point brings up another question. What about the Totally blind? or the totally deaf? Certainly those who want to live green sould not be forced to suckle at the nipple of corporate greed or environmental irresponability? I see the need for those people, myself would be willing as well. to work as part of a green community.

Last edited by B'ichela; 04-18-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: additional text needed

Old 04-19-2009, 01:53 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,372,321 times
This is great. I'm subscribing to this thread! Unfortunately I can't view the pictures while I'm at work, but I'll check them out in the morning from home.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 AM

11,878 posts, read 31,762,443 times
I applaud the OP and want to hear a resounding success story.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM

182 posts, read 702,555 times
WELL, I don't know if this is the last post or not . . i hope there'll be more . . so happy that you finally got your dream . . . God bless .. .

Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM

182 posts, read 702,555 times
ohhh f/b . . what wonderful news!!! and i LOVE the new/old kitchen . . i even noticed your little black cast iron stove up on that shelf? .. i have one just like it .. .
cant' wait to see the next batch of pix with your sink and maw-maw's table .. . red is a great color for the kitchen .. .so homey . .

so glad your trials with what's her name , (no need to ever mention that name again) ..are finally over and i agree with the poster who suggested dedicating 'we fought the law ' .. . so appropos'

you are so right .. about this Spring b eing a new beginning for all of you . .not only the earth ..
God bless .. . i await the continuing saga
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living