U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,916 times

Advertisements

I am just in opened mouth awe of this whole wonderful story! Thank you ForestBreath and Chris for sharing your lives with so many folks ..
/|\
Faworki

Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,132,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Six months of laziness!!!??!!???! WHAT??? Too funny, Forest Breath!!

I am in absolute awe at how much you have done since the closing. The kitchen looks so warm and cozy.
What a delight to read all this - thanks again for taking the time to share.

Very well said Sister Piperspal................................... ..tried to rep u..............

Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,484,713 times
FB,
How perfect the Hoosier and table fit into the kitchen. I just loved it!!! Each week brings you closer and closer to settling in and putting the past behind you. What a wonderful home you have.
Pam

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 7,543,503 times
For the wallpaper strip stop by the hardware store and ask for some wall paper remover. It's something you mix up in water, spray it on the wallpaper (I used one of those spray bottles you can get for window cleaner or something), let it set for a little while and scrape it off. I had some wallpaper that came off with one dose and some I had to spray twice, once for the top layer of wallpaper and once for the bottom, glue, layer. Won't hurt the surface underneath it.
Looks like you're doing a great job!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 42,711 times
Looks like a Christmas kitchen for sure. Very pretty. Love your story. Keep sending pictures. Thoroughly enjoy seeing them. You're doing a great job.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM

300 posts, read 1,149,729 times
I don't have much time but I wanted to drop in and share this video I just got on my cell phone. I love the way he puts his hand on the wall he just painted. ROFL!

0421091410.flv video by BushwhackerJohn - Photobucket

They are painting the library, already have the ceiling done. When I get home we will head to the old place and rip up the pretty floor and haul it to the farm so I can use it in the library.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 5,183,972 times
Forest Breath.

All I can say is - WOW!!!! I found your other thread and got so involved reading all about it that I told my husband all about your trials and tribulations when he got home from work!

I am so sorry things ended badly at the last place, but your new home just sounds so wonderful. I love old houses (my Mum's house in England is 300 years old).

I have done a lot of wall paper stripping in my time, and another poster recommended getting the stuff you spray on from the hardware store and then scrape off with a scraper. Takes some elbow grease, but works well.

I have to say that my husband and I are city dwellers who love our electricity! Non the less I was captivated by your story and agree with others that it would make the most wonderful book. You really have the bones of it here on this forum already, and you express yourself brilliantly. It's been a joy to read, especially now that there's a happy ending!!

I really do wish you all the very best - well done you for taking a chance on doing something you love. What an inspiration for the rest of us.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 AM

304 posts, read 703,086 times
FB, Bravo on your progress, The house is becoming a home quickly. Everything is looking great. Can't wait until the next post.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:34 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,763,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ichela View Post
In 1972, The Conneticut Legislatiure under the pressure of CL&P and UI lobbyists ran a law through that mandated all homes be electrified after 1973 in order to obtain an occupancy permit. Admended to that,in the 1990s,
all homes must have hard-wired smoke alarms that obtain their power from the mains. No one has the legal chutzpuh to argue against it, or seems to want to . Those who tried to live without electricity found thair homes condemmed and/or torn down.

With the State of Conn eating out of their hands. the electric utilities demanded more and more rate hikes from the DPUC. My current electric rate is 19.2 cents per KWH! Being on disabiliy, that eats alot out of my disability, Average electric bill is about $120-140 monthly! Heat and Hot water are included in my rent, My apartment has an Electric stove. (Yuck!) Prefer Gas or wood cooking.

While I agree that electricity in CT is VERY expensive, I disagree on some things here-I also live in CT. The law about hard-wired smoke alarms only applies to new construction or additions to existing homes. I have owned two houses here and never had them.

There is also no law that says you have to have electricity ON in your house. People in Hartford have their power shut off all the time for nonpayment-especially right now as the winter protection period just ended. My own 'new' house was winterized when I bought it recently and it took me a few days to turn on the utilities, and no one would have ever known if I didn't. So theorectically, I could live in here without electricity. I'm not sure what you mean by 'occupancy permits'-I think you might be referring to new construction rather than existing homes.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:48 AM

182 posts, read 594,285 times
Love the kitchen f/b . . . my grandmother had the exact same set , tho hers was painted day glo orange. . go figure ???
the hoosier also is lovely ... and i remember cake tins like that one . ..
looks like you are settling in .. . btw . i noticed you keep mentioning 'the library' . i assume that is because you dont' have a living room ???
or have turned the l/r into a library . . . ??

what a re mudpuppies please ??? this girl from bklyn ny never heard of them

have a great week . . and take care . .soon you'll never have to go back to 't hat woman's ' place . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living