U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM

107 posts, read 261,660 times

Advertisements

Hey Girl, I am very happy that you for got everything done by the deadline. I am also very proud of the way you responded to the the sneaky, last minute B.S. that Hazel and company pulled by blocking you at the gate. Please don't worry about the "missing" wood. That is a civil problem between Hazel and the "buyer" of the wood, if there ever even was a transaction. It sounds like they fabricated the entire story and they are trying to implicate you in a "theft" just to get in a last dig at you. In my experience I have found that it is pretty typical (in these emotional civil cases) for people to take one grain of truth and then create an entire story where they are the victims. Remember, they sat there (with their beady little eyes darting back and forth) and watched you remove 8 -12 pieces of wood. Then their great minds converged to concoct the "I was robbed" story. Hopefully the investigator can see through their finely crafted tale.

With that being said, I will offer my advice (free and worth every penny you paid for it) even though you didn't ask for it . Never offer to let any Law Enforcement search your property. That is called a consent search and you don't need to offer that. Remember, even if they search and don't find anything, the "victims" will just say that you stashed the items somewhere else or that the police "didn't search hard enough". It is akin to trying to prove a negative. There is no "upside" to allowing consent searches, but there may be a "down" side. Once on your property, the police may expand their search, since they are not limited by the specifics of a search warrant. I'm not saying that you have anything to hide, but as a police officer I can tell you that I would never allow a consent search of my property. Make them obtain a warrant. That forces them to take statements from people (Hazel & company) and sometimes liars will not be willing to make that leap. Then the police have to present their request for a warrant to a judge or magistrate who reviews the facts and determines if there is enough evidence (probable cause) to allow a violation of your privacy. When this process is followed, everybody has to put their name on the dotted line. This tends to make them slow down because there is a higher degree of accountability (as compared to the investigator getting a verbal consent to search). All of these steps are in place to help protect YOUR legal rights. If they (the complainants) do lie to the police, and that fact comes to light, the police usually follow up with charges of false reporting. We hate wasting our time working cases where someone tries to use us as a stick to "beat" someone they have a grudge against. Plus it makes us look a little bit stupid if we obtain a warrant based on false information.

I would go so far as to say don't even speak to investigators. In 20 plus years of doing this job, NOBODY has EVER talked themselves out of getting arrested. When I interview a potential suspect, I am looking for information and evidence to use against them. The more I get people to talk to me, the more information I gather. Of course I appreciate it when people just confess (makes my job easier) but even when they don't, I still write down everything they tell me. The next time I talk to them, maybe their story has changed a little (maybe they were upset or something the first time) but now I have an inconsistancy that makes me go hummm.

Be polite, refer all questions to your attorney and let someone that is not emotionally involved "research that and get back to the investigator". I know that it is hard, because innocent people want to explain things so that it can all be cleared up right away. It sounds like you have a decent investigator working the case and I liked the responses that he was giving you, but it only takes one knucklehead to go off on a tangent and take what you say out of context. Then you find yourself trying to explain your statements at a later date. It is just easier to remain mum.

Okay, I'm climbing down off my mini soapbox now and reapplying my muzzle

Sorry for the long winded post, but I just don't want you to get sucked into the legal system anymore than you already have

Hammer

Old 05-21-2009, 01:57 PM

16,454 posts, read 49,692,424 times
You're doin' fine. Don't worry about that cedar. Time to ease off the gas a little bit, and start decompressing. You did good to burn the old coop, very symbolic, and you did good to photograph the site as you left it.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM

14,993 posts, read 16,606,107 times
Sister ForestBreath&BroChris i'm surely mighty Happy y'all got all yer stuff moved to the Farm. ......y'all wore me out readin bout it.....................

Now relax, rest up & bee HAPPY....................................... ............

If you have a freshwater source higher then the barn level you kin run water gravity flow thru garden hoses or pvc plastic pipe. OR u could use a 12volt submersible pump or freshwater pump like a recreational vehicle has...

Sleep very Well & At Peace.............

Y'all done did do the hard part. Now Life gets easier...............................k :

Take Care

Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM

25 posts, read 75,172 times
Cyndi,

You all are amazing. Despite the many obstacles in your way, both people and weather, you met the deadline that was set for you. Blessings for you and the new farm.

Kim

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,189,876 times
FB, you and your family (and TRUE friends!) make an unstoppable team.
Your story is so inspiring - thx for sharing!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:18 AM

312 posts, read 890,542 times
FB, I am so glad you are out of that horrible place at Hazel's. (May she rot in H---) Now you can move on and you already have a great start. You need to let yourself rest for a couple days and you should be refreshed to continue with your next chapter of your life. I really hope one day to meet you, Chris and your family. Looking forward to your next post. Pat

Old 05-22-2009, 05:49 PM

72 posts, read 111,652 times
What an amazing journey, and it's only just begun...

I don't necessarily believe in "meant to be" but I'll bet in time you wouldn't change a thing about the rollercoaster that lead you to your heaven on earth.

P.S. to 1967hammer -
Thank you for posting great advice about due process.
Cooler heads prevail.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
FB, I joined this forum just so I can wish you the best of luck and life. I have laughed and cried through your journey so far and am inspired to better myself from you and Chris. You two are an amazing couple.
The only words I can offer you are to release Hazel, from your mind, body and spirit. She is a person that will get what she deserves, Karma will see to that, and not worth your energy. You need a special evening (or day) for your self for some soul/me time. Try to stop giving that woman your energy, b/c negative energy always returns the same.... negative. She has no power over you.

Take care, and keep us updated. I am addicted to this thread and visit it daily LOL

Aly

Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 PM

27 posts, read 139,824 times
Default FB Chris all the best.... RELAK for a bit

Its amazing what you two have done. Also congratz about getting all out in time.But you two need to rest awile and let your batteries recharge. Hope Lakotas foot is ok and Perrins fright of Ants fades.
What is it the water? between you and young Lisa im just wore outTenn must be on steroids LOL.
Regards Scott

Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 AM

22 posts, read 159,301 times
Forest Breath,

I am sure glad you made your deadline. About wood cookstoves..... $500 sure sounds like a lot of money to me. They sell for about $100 here. The last one I saw sell (last month) brouth about $125. It was in good shape. Watch the old farm auctions and you can probably find a stove for a lot less than $500... it may take a little while, but it would be worth the savings.

Don't be surprised if Hazel sues you for the "missing" cedar boards. She will do it just to get her $7,000 back. (I think it was 7K?). Anyway, if she does, you can countersue for the missing flooring you had there. A judge will see her suit as a nothing more than a nuisance suit.

The other thing... NEVER offer to let law enforcement search without a search warrant under any conditions.. NEVER!... When I was taking my 'concealed carry' class, we had an attorney conduct a portion of the class. He gave an example. There was college kid... a good kid... and he loaned his car, one day, to a guy in the dorm where he lived. A few days later, he was pulled over and the deputy asked if he could search the car. The kid, knowing he had nothing to hide, allowed the search. They found a bag of pot. The kid was arrested on the spot. Of course, it worked out because the other guy owned up to it. But he had shoved it under the seat and forgot to remove it when he returned the borrowed car. The point is that you never know what may be hiding or what they might claim to "find". Officers don't have a problem with anyone requesting a search warrant. I know you wanted to show your willingness to cooperate but any lawyer would tell you that it wouldn't matter. A lawyer will always tell you to never agree to any type of search without a warrant. What if this Bill had planted something at your barn knowing the officers would find it? People can be mean.

I think you are on your way at last. After all y'all have been through, I think you are finally on the right track. I am just happy that you made your deadline and good thing you took pics after you moved everything.

An idea for a waterer for the chickens. I have an old cast iron pig waterer that is small. It has a water hose connector on the back. Outside the chicken house I have a 50 gallon plastic barrel with a hose coming out the side on the bottom of it. In the waterer I have a valve and float you can buy at most co-ops. The float looks like a toilet float. As the water goes down the waterer refills on its own from the barrel. I just have to fill the barrel once in a blue moon. I have the barrel sitting up on concrete blocks. You could always do that with your roof runoff.

Good luck to you and Chris.
Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or