U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Rys

6 posts, read 13,116 times

Advertisements

FB-Ad me to those that hope you've just been busy. Hope all is well your way.

Rys

Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 AM

6,365 posts, read 11,544,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
ya all know that snakes are edible if you have to many dont ya? rattle snake stew is not to bad .. about the only snake I wouldnt eat is the water moc ..
The way I like snake meat prepared is to be tenderized under a car or truck tire, and left for any four legged or winged critter that wants it! lol
I"m like everybody else hoping everything is going good with all of you, Forest Breath!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 AM

300 posts, read 1,319,023 times
I am so sorry guys. We have been busier than you could imagine. After going back and picking up the few things she had a problem with, at the old place, we became even busier than ever. She has not released the check yet and my attorney is fed up. He is gone for another week and if I do not have the check when he returns, he is taking her back to court for contempt. There is absolutely no reason for her to not have released it at this point. Regardless, that part of our life is not completely over and we are just awaiting the ending. I will be glad when I never have to think of her again.

We have been able to focus more on our farm at this point and getting it self sustainable. We have so much work to do and I know that it will forever be an ongoing thing, but we are enjoying it. I have been able to spend some time picking the banjo on the porch. I even signed up for banjo lessons that start this Friday! Maybe I will learn to play something other than Amazing Grace and the first part of Dueling Banjos! Chris has been able to relax and spend time doing things he enjoys a bit.

Saturday mornings we go visit our Mennonite friends and pick up things from the market. I usually try to do laundry on that day and get it out on the line. We stay busy doing things around the house and will soon be canning every Saturday and Sunday. I plan to make more dried foods as well. Of course there are the chickens, dogs and 13 cats we tend to. We always try to spend time with the dogs on the weekends as well. We get water carried to the house and have a primary to-do list we are working on.

Sunday we try to relax, but when you live like us, there is more work and less relaxing. LOL Our primary Sunday chores for the next few months will be cutting firewood and clearing land for a pasture. I will feel a lot better when we have 3 cords of wood in the shed for next winter. The normal chores have to be done and if it rains Saturday, laundry is done on Sunday.

Monday through Friday I get up at about 630am or so. After a few chores and all, I head to work and Amanda drops Perrin off to Chris about 8am. They have an agenda they go through daily, which involves marking things off the priority list. Perrin loves to build things and help dig holes. He, despite being 4, is a big help to Chris. Speaking of being 4, his birthday was yesterday. We had his party at Gee Creek and one of the Park Service employees brought some snakes down and did a presentation for Perrin and his friends at the party. He got to touch a corn snake and was so thrilled when the man pulled the snakes out of the boxes. He saw a King Snake, Black Rat Snake and Corn Snake all up close and personal. He got to touch them and actually listened carefully and learned a lot about the value of snakes. He was thrilled! We had a great time and I cannot believe my baby is 4.

Monday evenings I get milk from Addamae and then make butter on Tuesday. The hens slowed down laying after the move, they always do that when they get all shook up from being moved and such. I picked up a bag of layer this weekend to get them started back laying good again. Chris goes to Amandaís one day a week to keep Perrin, he can get on the computer over there and get some internet things done, he still is able to make a little money off of his sites, as long as he can get online at least one a week. We are slowing getting to know our neighbors. I even caught the Doc that owns 70 acres beside us outside working the other day and he forgot the gate was open and his donkey was inches away from another neighborís garden. I stopped and got the donkey back on the right side of the road and helped him get it back in the fence. We have had a problem with our snail mail. I appears Delano is so small that they donít just send out the mail and expect it to be delivered. If the Postmaster has not heard of the address, or thinks the house is still abandoned and no one is living there, they just send the mail back informing the person there was no receptacle. Therefore, all of my mail the past few months has been sent back, because the mailman forgot to let the postmaster know that we left a letter in the box letting them know we live there. This worries me because there were some checks and my new driverís license that we have not received yet and may have been sent back. Hopefully that has been straightened out and I hope to get some kind of mail this week so I will know the issue is resolved.

I had a death here at work of one of my clients and have been covered up with paperwork, so I have not had a chance to update on here in awhile. I do have some pictures to put up and will be posting our progress on the root cellar as well. Hopefully soon I can post the check was released and that chapter of our lives will be over for good. I hope everyone is doing well and is enjoying the good weather.

As for snakes....I have eaten several varieties of snakes. I have had them cut into chunks and fried, cooked on a stick over a fire and also in stew. I actually prefer them cooked over a fire, but don't mind the stew. It is not bad tasting, I like it better than turtle actually. Snakes are very beneficial to the eco system and it is illegal to kill any protected varieties in Tennessee.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM

2,515 posts, read 4,061,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
The hens slowed down laying after the move, they always do that when they get all shook up from being moved and such. I picked up a bag of layer this weekend to get them started back laying good again.

Glad to read this latest installment & that you are finding a spare minute here & there for the banjo!
But please tell this city-raised girl what a bag of layer is?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM

15,601 posts, read 47,192,788 times
Chicken feed comes primarily as "grower" which is used to raise broilers, and "layer" which is used to support hens that lay eggs. It has extra calcium and stuff.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,986,760 times
years ago it was called oyster shells.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM

300 posts, read 1,319,023 times
I get oyster shells once in awhile to help them in grinding their food and digestion. It also helps to make the shells harder so there is less of a chance of them bursting inside the hen. However, I have personally never had that happen.

The layer is give to hens to help them prepare to and continue to lay eggs. I have seen some people give layer all winter to get eggs all winter. I usually have no problem with them laying unless they have become stressed out by moving or something. I will give layer to get them started laying again and then stop. I also do nto give it through the winter as they will lay some in the winter and as long as it is enough for our personal use, I am OK with that.

In the summer I like to sell the eggs to help cover the price of the food. Feeding hens that don't lay is a waste of money unless you eat them. I don't intend to eat any of my hens at this point because we have plenty of deer and beef I have canned and I need the eggs more than meat. LOL

When they are laying well, I can get almost a dozen a day. If I sell them for 2 bucks a dozen, then they pay for themselves and I get the extra eggs as a bonus.

When I get the pigs, one will be for breeding and the other for the smokehouse or to be canned.

I am still contemplating the cow. I was considering a milk goat instead but either way....that will not be for awhile yet. I want to get established with the pigs first and work my way up to more. No sense in putting out more money for animals that we don't really need. I can do without milk at the farm and just buy what I need from my Mennonite friend real cheap.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,061,590 times
Thanks for the explanations, folks! I truly was thinking it was some sort of "layer" that went under or over the straw in the chicken coop. I was having a time visualizing cleaning the chicken waste away while preserving the "layer" Yes....I am that "citified"....and looking forward to changing that!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:34 PM

22 posts, read 158,075 times
ForestBreath, it is good to hear from you again.

I worked in the feed industry for several years. I would like to make a couple points because it seems that there may be some confusion.

There are 4 types of feed. Starter, Grower, Layer, and then just varieties of mixed grains. Although the starter, grower and layers are fortified, they aren't oyster shell.

Oyster shell is just to provide calcium and does nothing to help grind the food. Grit is what helps grind the food and comes in a couple different sizes depending on the size of bird. Oyster shell is just a calcium source for helping with the egg shell. If you feed your used egg shells back to the chickens, it will do the same thing. This is what I do. I keep a pie pan in the oven (with a pilot light). As soon as I crack eggs, I put the shells in the pie pan. I leave them until they are completely dried. Then I just crush the shells and put them out in a separate pan for the chickens to consume as they see fit. As long as you make certain the eggs are dried, it won't lead to hens eating their eggs. But, if you feed the shells immediately after using and they are not dried out, it will lead to hens eating eggs. There is also no need to rinse the shells, either.

If chickens free range, they will usually not need any grit. They will pick up little pebbles, glass, etc and have plenty stuff in the gizzard to grind grains, feed, etc. I normally don't feed grit. I have tried it at times, but my chickens have always free ranged and as a result they eat no grit and very little feed.

Have you started plans for a garden yet? I know you've been busy, but what about a fall garden? I usually plant in the spring and then I plant things again in late summer for a fall garden.

I have an idea what Hazel is going to do. Of course, she will try to get out of paying you altogether. Then if she has to pay, she will try to make claims that you didn't do everything and she will try to "negotiate' down the settlement to less money. However, don't budge just to get rid of her. She owes you a whole heck of a lot more than she's having to pay. Also, if you have to take her to court for contempt, I would also sue for attorneys fees and court costs, if you haven't already. You need to hit her where it hurts.... her "pocketbook". Just don't let her get away with anymore than what she's already got away with. Remember she is paying you less than she should and she also has a lot of nice flooring that belonged to you. So, if she pursues it, tell her she owes you for the flooring.

Good luck. I check everyday to see if you've updated. Being a full-time off-grid homesteader, I enjoy reading about your journey.

Paul

Old 06-15-2009, 05:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,986,760 times
-----" When I get the pigs, one will be for breeding and the other for the smokehouse "

don't you need a boar for the--" breeding " ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.