U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,034,887 times

Advertisements

I think it we dont respond to this persons posts, they will stop saying ugly things or just go away. Any body has a right to their opinion but if it is so bothersome to them, why are they reading and/or posting on this thread ?

Forest Breath, reading your posts is like sitting on your porch in the evening, feeling your troubles roll away as you savor the sounds of nature....it is my Prozac pill every day..... Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,463,355 times
This thread reminds me of some Amish.

They turn theur backs on the modern world and don't have a telephone.( but have no problem going daily to a non-Amish neighbor to use theirs)

They turn their backs on owning/driving cars ( but have no problem asking their non-Amish neighbors for constant rides 30 miles to a farm supply store)

Moderator cut: No personal attacks or flaming

Last edited by vec101; 06-26-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 07:48 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,126,486 times
Very Well Said Sister Forest Breath...............

Fer well over 4 lustrums i've lived heer wayout in the country on the side of the forested mountain with artesian springs & a basspond & observing the critters in the pond & forest living their lives. I truly Love living heer. Beautiful Deep blue sky during the day, billions (clouds of stars) at nite....................

I did have lectricity & phone put in underground when we first found our Dream spot. Power co gave us a good deal................

I built my wood shop fer my radial& table saws, skill & miter saws, etc. In a past life i was a finish carpenter............

My electric isn't very much. I put in insulation & storm windows fer the winter. I use my woodburner. There is plenty O firewood...............................

I've never put in A/C but i do use fans & i still have 2 ol motorhomes i've kept that have roof A/C's. & thar is the shade of the forest. I spend most of my time outside in the summer fishin' from shore or my boat, exploring new areas of beautiful BLM land, doing chores, cutting wood, doing projects aroun my place.............................

Y'all have a Wonderful Day Now.......................

Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 AM

12,334 posts, read 7,782,906 times
What an absolute delight this thread and the previous thread are.

I just discovered it yesterday and I sat down to read it "for a while."

I was up half the night and I am at it again. BTW, my cable went out 2 days ago and I absolutely do not miss it because of this thread.

FB, you are truly a woman for all seasons. Congratulations on actually sticking with it and following through so that your dreams will come true.
You've got a good partner in Chris. I love the stories about the grandkids. You are letting them live such an interesting childhood with a foot in today and one in yesterday....which leads to a fascinating future.

As for Hazel, what goes around comes around.

Bravo to you and yours, FB.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:04 AM

300 posts, read 1,149,462 times
Yesterday we got home a bit late. I found a note from the previous owner of the farm. He wanted me to call him. In true nature, I just expected it to be bad news and lost sleep over it.

I called this morning and he said he was driving by the farm and was shocked when she saw it. He said he could tell we have worked so hard on it and he was amazed at how great it looked. He wanted the address to our website about the farm and said he would love to drop by and see the place. He was so sweet and thrilled that we are happy with the farm. He said not just anyone could have looked at that old house and farm and seen the potential there, seen past the current and into what it will become. He did at one time, but did not have the support of his family for that dream. He was absolutley thrilled to see it alive again and know we have no regrets buying it.

I was walking through the house last night about 3am. There was a huge pack of coyotes that were going crazy just before that. Cletus and Sadiemae started howling on the porch. Chris had gotten up to calm the dogs. A bit afterwards I headed through the house and fir the first time I did not need a light. It was dark, but I instinctly knew where the doors were, the steps, the walls, everything. This may not seem like a big deal wo anyone else, but to me it showed me that I am at HOME, getting to know it like the back of my hand...even in the pitch black darkness.

In the waste not want not category....we spotted a man hauling this bench to the lanfill. It had a few pieces of rotted, broken wood in it. I stopped him, got it out of his truck and Chris put new wood on it. Now we have a wonderful bench to put by the branch to sit on and watch the snakes!

We got the steps put up on one side of the back porch. THis of course makes it easier for Sadiemae to go get her favorite kitten off the back porch and take it around front to play with it. But it also makes it easier for me to get to the compost pile from the kitchen and to the clothesline from the backporch.

Perrin is still "Diggin" the new farm. The child would spend his entire day digging a hole if we would let him. Here he is helping Chris dig the hole for one of the goldfish ponds. His big plan now is to dig the outhouse home, because he too misses the outhouse!

Perrin just turned four. He was excited to have the snake presentation for this birthday party. Here is is petting the corn snake. Amanda had to hold his hand back because he wanted to hold the snake himself and "pat its head". Corn snakes are so beautiful.

I have lots of pics around the farm that I will put up when I get a chance. I forgot my memory card at home.

This weekend we will be very busy, so my post Monday will be full of activity. Have a wonderful weekend everyone. OH and.....one more pic I forgot I had of me and Chris....

Well because....we are Amish you know!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 AM

202 posts, read 524,715 times
Default great progress

I got back on to see what you've been up to and am always amazed at what you guys have done.
I would love to raise some chickens again for eggs and meat, but the last time I did I couldn't handle butchering them and had a friend do the dirty deed. If I could find a way to butcher them without chopping their heads off....maybe something in their feed that they would dreamily go off to chicken heaven without harming the meat? lol
Anyway, I think most folks would like to be living a lot closer to what you're doing but can't for a number of reasons. I really appreciate all the tips people are contributing on your various challenges. I'm moving onto 8 acres and am thinking about many of the same things you are, except how to keep cool since I'm in Alaska.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 PM

My Mam-maw taught me a little trick long ago about chickens. She use to take a pencil and hold the chicken in her lap. She waved the pencil back and forth until he was mesmerized. Then she took a large needle and stuck it straight through the chickens head. It killed it instantly with no fighting, flapping about or anything. It just went limp in her lap. She would them bleed it out and proceed to pluck it. You HAVE to bleed it out though.

I use a killing cone I made. Just a cone shape nailed to a post. I put the chickens in it head first, pull the heads through the end of the cone and place my hand over their eyes. I slice the head off with a sharp knife and there is generally not a lot of fighting and they do not see the knife coming at their neck. It seems to be the most humane way I can think of under the circumstances.

I don't pluck mine anymore. I skin mine. I don't eat the skin anyway and therefore I just skin it completely and slice the meat of the carcass. I have boneless, skinless breasts, the legs and thighs come off easily and I cut the liver and gizzards out. The wings are the last to come off and then the rest is tossed in a bin to be disposed of. No gutting, plucking, nothing. So much easier and faster. I can get one processed this way in about 15 minutes.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:15 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,424,217 times
Blech. I wish I hadn't read that. LOL

Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 PM

LOL Sorry Jill61. I refrained from posting the process and pictures of putting a deer up for winter use. I will have it on the website but will not put it here as I know there are some who cannot stand the thought of processing meat. We have found our meat consumption has decreased some, but we still eat it. I will be glad to get the pigs, since pork is truly one of my favorite meats. But I suppose posting pics of that whole process is not a good idea. LOL

Old 06-26-2009, 02:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,463,355 times
Chopping off the head of chickens is the best way to butcher them.

The floppong around afterwards helps then bleed out.

You can't get an animal to bleed out properly if it is stone cold dead,
and not moving.

I believe processing plants use the be-heading method also and for the same reasons-------bleed out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.