U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 AM

206 posts, read 699,206 times
The blog link is in her profile under Contact Info.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:50 AM

3,105 posts, read 4,671,505 times
Forest Breath has decided to continue posting her story on her blog - this allows her greater flexibilty in postings and she updates her story more often on her blog.

As a courtesy to those who follow her story, the thread is a temporary sticky.

Forest Breath can be contacted by left clicking on her name.

Last edited by vec101; 07-30-2009 at 07:49 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM

300 posts, read 1,133,938 times
I just wanted to give everyone a quick update as I think this is fair to all of you kind folks for sticking by me this past year and supporting me in the struggles we have endured, as well as the wonderful moments of living this lifestyle.

Briefly on court, as I know everyone has been curious about the final result. We went on the 21st. Our best witnesses turned out to be Hazel and "John" (her only witness who claimed he gave her the $3000 for the cedar). They both were caught in lies on the stand and the judge awarded us the initial agreement to be released to us by August 5. He settled the issue with the cedar, stating he fully believes Jimmy gave me the boards, there were less than 20 and I had a right to take them and he does not want to hear anything about it ever again. He chastised Hazel a bit for dragging things on. We did not get additional damages, but we are pleased with the outcome and will be glad when the check is in the bank and it has all ended for good. She cannot go back on this one now. She will go to jail if she does not release the money.

Life on the farm: Wonderful! We have a lot of projects we have just started. We are clearing the pasture, the garden spot, getting the root cellar ready for repair, tearing down a shed and working on the bedroom. We have had fair weather, not too hot, so we are dealing with that very well. The rain has been wonderful, full rain barrels! I have been canning a lot. I got gallons and gallons of apple juice canned yesterday. We even made fruit leather and will be canning jelly and applesauce today. The Spring is one of my favorite things at the farm. It is just ice cold even when it is 95 degrees outside. I put a watermelon in there the other day and the next day it was just perfectly super cold and delicious. The ant problem is getting much better and I wanted to thank everyone for the ideas. I used the cornmeal and it seems to have helped a LOT! Before the cornmeal, there is no way I could have left a bag of apples in the floor overnight without them being covered. I did that the other day and there was not a single ant on them. We have plenty of wood cut down for winter, we just need to cut it up and haul it to the house. We are getting ready for winter now and will start having the chimneys inspected soon and get the pipes up and stoves installed. We still have not used the bathtub, but it makes a good place for Cutie's litter box. ROFL

Of course, life would not be life without a few trials and we do experience those. Everything is not always so perfectly wonderful. I had a nasty bout of a stomach virus and well, I wish we had the outhouse ready to use. Hauling in water every few minutes to flush the toilet was a pain in the you know what in more ways than one. I wonder sometimes how Caroline Ingalls sewed all of those shirts for Charles and they read that bible in bed at night with the oil lamps...lol. Sometimes I would love to sit at the table and work on my jigsaw puzzle at night and I will just tell you, there is not enough light coming from the lamps for that. I get tickled now when I think about the old movies and even Little House when they are in a room with an oil lamp and the entire room is lit up or when they light a lamp in a dark room and it just amazingly lights up when the one lamp gets lit. Trust me, that is not for real life for sure and not an accurate picture of real life. Nothing else is really a big issue. We have a drainage problem in one part of the driveway that we need to work on and I may go hunt down Harry Chickpea for this one. LOL I get aggravated at the Holly Tree in the front yard, because I am always barefoot and the two do not mix well.

We are so very happy on our farm. We still continue to love the choice we have made to live without electricity and have no regret in that actual choice. I is a challenge at times and our determination to live this lifestyle has been and will continue to be tested on a regular basis. But I can honestly say, we are satisfied with the decision and look forward to the future. I want to say for anyone who till read this thread in the future, it is truly not for everyone. Although my posts are generally happy and eventful and fun, it is trying and hard work and can either make or break you. This lifestyle is certainly NOT for everyone. My daughters would never dream for a second of living this way. The grandkids love it. Some of our friends live the dream through us, because they don't want to go that far themselves. Some people think they do until the see what we actually do and they change their minds. BUT...if you have the dream and wonder if you could, what it would be like, if you would like it, make it, enjoy it...I do urge you to try. My mother died not knowing the answers to those questions and told me before she died that she regretted never trying it. An unfulfilled dream will only turn into a regret someday. If you dream it, try it. Give yourself a time frame to stop and freedom to call it quits at any moment before that time frame is up. You will always wonder and never know unless you do try it. It has been rewarding for us and I am thankful I won't have the regret of never knowing. Despite it all, everything in this past year and 4 months has been a learning experience, mistakes, successes, sadness, happiness....but overall....and adventure I would not have changed for the world.

I want to thank everyone at CD for their kindness, it has taken me by surprise at times. There are just too many of you to name individually, but you all know who you are. And to Ketabcha for the ice crusher. She sent me a beautiful ice crusher that is hand operated that matches my kitchen PERFECTLY! I have used it, love it and appreciate it. Pictures will be posted on my website. vec101, thanks for your patience, understanding and I public ally want to say I regret you have had to spend so much time dealing with this thread.

The thread has been "stickied" for awhile so everyone can get this final update and get the link to my website. I was trying to send it to everyone in DM and I just did not have enough time to get that done, so I apologize for that. I am thankful some of you have found your way there and hopefully with me providing the link in this post, you will all be able to get your updates there. I am posting lots of pics and updates several times a week, sometimes daily. From my heart I am so thankful to those of you who have taken time to post in this thread and the other one, who have taken time to share my experience, who have become friends that I cherish. Please do feel free to visit our website on Living Without Electricity. Feel free to make and account and post there as well. vec101 has been gracious enough to allow me to post the link in this post so everyone can find it easily.

and yes....don't just dare to dream....dare to live it!

Last edited by Beretta; 03-06-2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM

3,105 posts, read 4,671,505 times
No longer sticky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living