U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:51 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,265,512 times

Advertisements

have been reading & watching the reports about the tornadoes in your neck of the woods. hope you are all safe & sound.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM

15,070 posts, read 17,049,270 times
Happy Easter Everybodies..................................... Drive Safely...............

Mother Nature has a somewhat freecycle here;

wild lilac bushes pop outta the ground (smell soo good)
azaleas
yellow & gold poppies
wild orchid
ferns
mushrooms
meadows of wild flowers
cherryblossom trees
wild berries
sweet pea
honeysuckle
dogwood

i truly Love it heer.............................

i'm Praying for you All in Harms Way...

Last edited by Hawk J; 04-10-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 670,021 times
Looks like things are already starting to shape up well! So, what is this mama vulture going to be named? I wonder if they return to their nesting sites every year like some birds (such as eagles) do? If so, she may have been nesting there before! Wouldn't it be fun if she kept coming back?

This is the one time when I wish you had power, because you could set up one of those animal web cams to watch the babies and share their infancy online. But I will settle for lots of baby pictures!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:47 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,913,854 times
will that vulture co-exist with your chickens, FB ?

Many vultures consider chickens a delicasy.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 AM

300 posts, read 1,345,816 times
Default It is finally OVER!!!!!!!!

What a long, hard 5 days. Preparing the farm for total GREEN LIVING by making it a workable non electric farm will be a challenge, but one we are going to enjoy tremendously. I am also working on a website about our lifestyle and will hopefully be allowed to post as many pics and information as I desire there. Hopefully I will be able to share that link with everyone.

Thursday we got things we needed and spent the night at the farm. We had no light at all, no lanterns, and arrived shortly before dark with blankets and pillows. We got a place fixed to sleep and hoped to stay warm. That night was wonderful.

Friday we started preparing the kitchen for the big change. It will of course be totally non electric (I will be saying that a lot so everyone will know my posts are about living a true Green Lifestyle )We scraped, cleaned, measured and spent time on the porch relaxing. Friday night was even colder.

Saturday we moved the makeshift bed to the room that will be the library, because it has all the windows and one door and we would not be as cold in there. LOL We got the dogs from the old house and they spent the night cuddled up with us on the blankets. We moved a few little things from the old house and worked on the kitchen, painting the ceiling and walls, priming the areas that would be red and enjoying the grandkids. When all the storms came through this weekend, we were in town for the worst part of it. We spent some time in my daughter’s basement when the tornado siren went off in town. Shannon, my daughter, Tim, my son in law, Lakota and Amanda helped paint .
Sunday we painted and had a weenie and marshmallow roast with the family. The kids hunted eggs on the farm and that was so much fun. We built a fire and had a nice relaxing evening. Chris replaced two joists under the kitchen floor and we had to replace two boards for the window frame. The original counter was put in front of one of the windows and they cut two boards on the frame for the counter. Since we will be living “without electricity” (plug there), we need both windows and doors to be usable in the room for ventilation in the hot summer months. So we replaced the wood.

Monday we finished up the painting in the kitchen and started putting the floor down. Now big note:

*On this day, Monday April 13th, I got a call from work that a Constable was there to serve me with a summons to appear in court Tuesday morning. I had no clue what for, but headed to town to meet the guy and get the summons. Turns out, it was an eviction notice from Hazel. We were being evicted from the home we built and had to appear in court the next morning, less that 24 hours notice, to be evicted from the house. We met with our attorney on this day and it pretty much messed up the day for us. We got some things done, but not as much as we had wanted to.

Tuesday: COURT! Hazel showed up with her posse, some neighbors, friends and you guessed it, the “Preacher”. My attorney spoke with hers before court to try to get it settled before court and she had no desire to, she wanted us out and not give us a penny. Then discussions started with the attorneys and apparently hers ended up being pretty clueless about the entire situation. He had not read the letters that were sent between me and Hazel or anything. So he was given the letters and then put his head in his hand for a long time and then called Hazel out of the room. Negotiations started at that point for a settlement. He must have told her that her admission to the agreement in the letter the Preacher wrote, that she signed, pretty much done her in. We went back and forth for an hour and a half and finally reached an agreement. The judge was a bit confused when we went before him and I was to be evicted, but with a very odd agreement placed in judgment instead. So…I am happy!!!!!!! I am happy for many reasons. We ended up getting $7000.00 that she has to pay by check to her attorney, it will be placed in a trust until we are moved and then we get it. AND… we have 30 days to move, negotiable, if we need more time we can request it. AND…. We get to take every single building that we constructed on the farm and every plant with us. MEANING…..we get to take the HOUSE!!!!!! It is not as much money as we wanted originally, but in the end, after the next month of hard work, it will be in our favor. The only thing she wanted was a rifle that Jimmy had given to Chris long before he died. Not sure why she wants it back, but she can have it. IT IS OVER!!!!!! Believe it or not it is finally over, no more guessing or worrying about what she will do or how it will end, it is over now and we are very, very happy with the settlement. AND….since she took us to court o try to get us evicted, she has to pay the court costs! It is also written in the judgment that this is the end of it and she cannot bring up anything in the future or try to sue us for anything every again. I owe it all to Barack Obama. BECAUSE, my first step in trying to get her to make a move was to put an Obama button on my mailbox because I knew she hated him so much. The mailbox is right beside her and she and her friends, who also hate him, had to look at it every day. The day after the button went up, someone tried to remove it and she filed for an eviction.

*Mods: I know the above paragraph is off topic, but this is a situation in which everyone posting in this thread is aware of and has been ongoing for a year now, specifically the past 6 months. It is an ending to a long mental and physical battle that I have shared with my friends here on CD and because they have followed this story and I feel I owe them the “Happy Ending” I hope that you will leave it here and not edit that part of my post for being off topic

And without further ado….the kitchen in my old farm house, my new “non electric” kitchen is ready for the furniture and wood cook stove! We got the floor done yesterday evening, everything is painted and I am SO excited about it.

as it was...

as it is today!!!

Before...

After!

I have more pics but have been asked to limit those, so I will stop there.

The livingroom has been primed and ready for the first coat of paint and we will be getting the floor put down in there before the weekend! So things are moving along and life is good....I woke up this morning with one major thing less to worry about, fir the first time in 6 months I did not wake up worried about what will happen with the settlement. It feels good!

Last edited by Forest Breath; 04-15-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 AM

2,515 posts, read 4,265,512 times
yahooooo for you!!! a wonderful way to start off this season of growth! wonder why you have to limit your photos?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM

25 posts, read 75,880 times
Ok this didn't post the first time.Yuck stuff first- How are you going to move the house??? and where to?? ok not necessarily yucky but really wondering. Congrats on finally getting it settled with Hazel. I hope she actually makes the payment.Now new stuff - the kitchen looks fabulous! I really didn't think it could look that good. Only caution, you may want to use a chain to hang the lantern slightly lower from the ceiling. But not sure because I couldn't tell from the pics. Regardless, that was really good work and it looks great!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 AM

746 posts, read 1,903,344 times
Hello, I have been reading this and the previous thread this past week or so. Your saga has certainly been a long hard struggle that has definitely pulled at my heart strings. I am so happy for you that it has finally had a happy outcome. Your commitment to a totally rustic, back to nature lifestyle is commendable. While I enjoy that lifestyle during summer camping, I know I could never do it full-time as you do. It's wonderful that you are able to keep the house and other buildings from your other home. Your good hearts, hard work and determination are certainly an inspiration!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:49 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,699,272 times
FB,
Congrats girl and hugs to you!!! I'm so glad it turned out for the best and WOW love your paint job in the kitchen.
Pam

Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 AM

6,971 posts, read 12,389,944 times
You need to call the local radio station and request a song for Hazel. "I fought the law and the law won!" lol Glad you got it all settled! Kitchen looks good! Good luck with the old house!
Was watching TV Monday night and they kept interrupting with weather bulletins (Nashville station). They were showing McMinnville and some of that area in a tornado warning and I think a funnel cloud had been spotted. Was hoping all of you were OK. Since you're posting and didn't mention it, I'd say you are all fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or