Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:38 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times

Advertisements

Flatulent cows and other livestock are one of the biggest threats to "Green" due to the methane gas affecting the ozone layer.

So anyone who wants to have children and still stay "Green"....? Just raise them to be soy milk drinking Vegans.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
I never had any, and never wanted any. I like my freedom. I am an ecologist. I may sound mean, but, I would have to disinherit them if they became mall rats, and conspicuous consumers in a wasteful way.(despite my teachings) Nature would have to teach them thrift, at that point. I would tell them "good luck, and try to rid yourselves of "affluenza".
It would bother me to have spent decades raising them only to find out that daddy dear was feeding them fast food slop, and letting them shop for "landfill" at Wal Mart. Call me heartless. I don't mind. But just think : I am not passing on my genes. That equals fewer consumers with too many "mall hours" under their cheap designer belts.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM

175 posts, read 468,282 times
Peggy Anne, I think you made the right decision.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 PM

132 posts, read 223,985 times
I'd still have a kid =)

Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivant View Post
A while back, I read this on a website (am looking for the link) that one of the top 10 ways to be green is to have fewer kids, better yet, to choose to not have kids! I don't know what to think. I see the point of less waste, etc. It sounds nice and practical on the surface. But in reality, having a child is an emotional decision. Isn't it?
I'd love to hear what you all think. Would you choose to have fewer children, or not have any just because it is GREEN thing to do?
Sorry, I'm new to this particular forum but I have to add that I have four children (not necessarily planned this way ,however!) and I can say that our family uses less energy, resources etc. than many families w/ only two kids. We have ONE bag (occasionally two bags of trash a week) We recycle everything including composting our food scraps. We grow some of our own produce, shop at our local farmer's market every week and try to be as "sustainable" as possible.

I've seen plenty of smaller families that still buy water in bottles, only to throw them out. Keep old refrigerators in their garages going for "extras" and drive around all the time in huge gas guzzling SUVs. (We walk when possible and consolidate our grocery trips). I don't use plastic anything unless it can be washed or recycled or donated.

I used to live in Ireland and belonged to a organization where the entire town was working on sustainability. People generally had more kids there yet they used far fewer resources than the families here in the US. So, my feelings are that having a larger family is not necessarily worse for our planet if you care enough to leave a small footprint!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:54 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Nope. I imagine that raising a kid is fun and exciting to see someone grow.

I think what will happen is there will be population decrease in our grandchildrens' generation but then as technology advances allow yet more amazing things (continuing rapid pace of computer advancement, nanotech, biotech, and semi-conscious machines), it will allow more people to live with greater abundance. Then we'll likely see another child explosion.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:17 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I find it kind of amusing that some people think you CANNOT have kids and still live an environmentally-responsible life.

One of my sons' former teachers is SO proud of her uber-green lifestyle, including not marrying her boyfriend or ever having kids. Oddly enough, the (literally) fly and drive all over the world to go hiking, mountain-climbing, and do other outdoorsy things.

Sometimes it's "why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye and ignore the plank in your own?" sort of situation.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:21 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,941,832 times
Quote:
Flatulent cows and other livestock are one of the biggest threats to "Green" due to the methane gas affecting the ozone layer.
You people just never give up...constantly gloom and doom the sky is falling...Poor Moo Moo...getting blamed for global warming....
Click image for larger version

Name:	128829193096497902.jpg
Views:	1951
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	45920

Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
You people just never give up...constantly gloom and doom the sky is falling...Poor Moo Moo...getting blamed for global warming....
Right.

I'm sure that those roaming herds of tens of thousands of Bison - here hundreds of years ago - never farted.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 PM

175 posts, read 468,282 times
Genesis 33:5 Children are a gracious gift from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living