Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-310 View Post
none. They are not on the web.

They packed their bags and moved their operation to missouri. The cost of propane to heat the place, an old air force station became prohibitive. They got the windmills to offset their power bill. It worked for a while. Then the powere company started charging them for the use of their power lines.
The truth is probably in you first statement. They couldn't afford to heat the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Actually, I use propane to run my fridge and chest freezer. I use generators to provide my own power. I occasionally use the grid for high power usage, otherwise I throw the main breaker.

So I won't pay it, or pay only minimally. Cheaper to use gasoline. My generators run all day on 5 gallons.

I refuse to pay any extortionate tax.
LOL you're paying way more to generate your own electricity using a gasoline powered engine, probably 25-30 cents/kWh. But keep up that protest. YOU THE MAN.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Who's 'we'? And who gave them the authority to decide what 'one-size-fits-all' amount of energy consumption is right?
Were you around last November? Who gave them the authority? The American people gave President Obama the authority -- 365-173.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
You are correct.
Also, doesn't matter if one generates ALL their own power. If you buy anything which involves the use of electric, you will pay higher prices for the product because it will be more expensive to produce said product. So one way or another, no one can get away from the tax.
BTW - The price of gasoline will also be affected.
I can regulate the use of gasoline. I can't regulate the power coming into my house. The tax on the gasoline is something I am working on eliminating. I have been pricing diesel generators and I can run them on dyed diesel.

Dyed diesel is not taxed.

As for the electrical articles, I will buy only Chinese made items. Anything made in the US will have that tax attached, not foreign made goods.

America takes it up the butt again. WalMart will be booming in sales. (Thats a hint for investors)

Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The truth is probably in you first statement. They couldn't afford to heat the place.
Only after they couldn't pay to send power out the lines. The local church owners were heating their houses with the broilers in the ovens going full blast leaving the stove doors open. Highly dangerous. That and the state started jacking with their method of teaching.

But the premise was the windmills failed due to the coop playing games. And I suspect that is occurring in other areas as well with privately owned wind generators.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
LOL you're paying way more to generate your own electricity using a gasoline powered engine, probably 25-30 cents/kWh. But keep up that protest. YOU THE MAN.
Why I am going to diesel power. I will use dyed diesel. Dyed diesel is not taxed.

Tata.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Why I am going to diesel power. I will use dyed diesel. Dyed diesel is not taxed.

Tata.
Taxed or untaxed you are paying more than buying from the local utility. Not very bright that bulb you have.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Taxed or untaxed you are paying more than buying from the local utility. Not very bright that bulb you have.
Quite right, CFL's are not bright. Why I don't use them.

My local utility bill is $80 a month. My gas usage in my generators is $40 a month.

Do the math.

And you have no clue how much I spend. I live in a very rural area. Montana gets its power from wind, hydro and coal. And its not cheap.

Why I use my own power generation and spend less doing it. You can't apply what you spend to how much I spend. It doesn't work.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Quite right, CFL's are not bright. Why I don't use them.

My local utility bill is $80 a month. My gas usage in my generators is $40 a month.

Do the math.

And you have no clue how much I spend. I live in a very rural area. Montana gets its power from wind, hydro and coal. And its not cheap.

Why I use my own power generation and spend less doing it. You can't apply what you spend to how much I spend. It doesn't work.
BS on the cost numbers or you're using about 1/10 the electricity you did before. My guess is you still buy your electricity from the local utility and tell great stories on the internet.

and you pay about 7 ¢/kWh from the co-op.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:29 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,676 times
Quote:
Were you around last November? Who gave them the authority? The American people gave President Obama the authority -- 365-173.
Uh, we didn't elect a dictator. He can only do what's in the Constitution. Show me in the part that allows micromanaging of this sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living