Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times

Advertisements

It's easy to find a whining emotional L because they love to call people names.

It worked in fourth grade. Hey it's all good, wot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 04:02 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I think food prices are too cheap, so jack away. Moderator cut: No personal attacks
Nobody in this whole wide world cares what you think.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Inhofe predicts cap and tax is dead.

I hope he is right.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Excess C02 will kill you. All things in moderation.
Exactly how many people have died of global warming from excessive C02 ????

How many people died from overpopulation in the 1960s?

How many people died from the New Ice Age in the 1970s?

How many people died from Acid Rain in the 1980s?

How many people died from the Ozone Depletion in the 1980s?

And global warming was originally caused by sulfur, then it switched to carbon. And now, since the earth seems to be cooling again, it is climate change. LMAO.

I thought science was exact? Unless it is twisted in order to make money.

What was the life expectancy in England before the Industrial Revolution? 26 years.

What was the life expectancy in England after the Industrial Revolution? Close to 80.

So, if you are over the age of 26, you should drive to Detroit and kiss the mayor's arse.

P.S. You must be the biggest moron on C-D.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
The person I used to think was a media idiot,al gore. Is standing to make millions and the companies he is associated with stand to make millions and maybe billions-OFF THE UNITED STATES TAXPAYER.
This is only part of the CHANGE the majority of americans voted for. I just hope to heck I don't lose everything I have worked for in my life.
Your president has amassed quite the croney pack around him in washington.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
In case you have not caught this info - in the 309 page admendment they stuck in the bill at 3am on the day of the vote, there is about 100 pages concerning housing. A lot of it is about Fed housing and Fed loan housing. However, there are significant items dealing with all houses.

It's all about making homes green/energy efficient.

Page 155 is of particular interest.
Quote:
[LEFT]14 ‘‘(2) that such appraisals be performed in ac
15 cordance with appraisal standards that require, in
16 determining the value of a property, consideration of
17 any renewable energy sources for, or energy effi
18 ciency or energy-conserving improvements or fea
19 tures of, the property; and’’
20 (2) REVISION OF APPRAISAL STANDARDS.—
21 Each Federal financial institutions regulatory agen
22cy shall, not later than 6 months after the date of
23 the enactment of this Act, revise its standards for
24 the performance of real estate appraisals in connec
25tion with federally related transactions under the ju
26risdiction of the agency to comply with the require-[/LEFT]
[LEFT]1 ment under the amendments made by paragraph (1)
2 of this subsection.
http://www.johnboehner.house.gov/Upl...sAmendment.pdf[/LEFT]
Quote:

[LEFT]—The Appraisal Subcommittee shall establish requirements for State certification of State certified real estate appraisers and for State licensing of State licensed appraisers, to ensure that appraisers consider and are qualified to consider, in determining the value of a property, any renewable energy sources for, or energy efficiency or energy-conserving improvements or features of, the property.’’http://www.johnboehner.house.gov/Upl...sAmendment.pdf[/LEFT]

Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
So an appraisal - a valuation of a house based on condition and structure - now needs to include energy usage and condition as well as all the other factors it already includes?

And?

Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
What's the big deal?
Pretty big deal to anyone who has an older home for sale and the value drops because it is not energy efficient.
Houses sell at what the market will bear.

How about the low-income people who own their home, their home won't bring a hefty price, most of their money is in their home, and after the bill their house would be worth even less.
Oh wait, the govt will pay for the upgrades on their home.
Hmmm, sounds like a new welfare plan to me.
Bet the govt won't pay for my upgrades.

My house is 40 years old and we will be selling it next year. The windows are 40 years old - not energy efficient. Fireplace insert doesn't meet the date in the bill so points off for that. Appliances in great shape but may not meet the standards. The list goes on. Of course, we do not yet know what the standards will be - they haven't decided those details yet. So, I would be able to sell my house at one price before the bill would go into effect and at a lower price after the bill.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
What's the big deal?
Pretty big deal to anyone who has an older home for sale and the value drops because it is not energy efficient.
Houses sell at what the market will bear.

How about the low-income people who own their home, their home won't bring a hefty price, most of their money is in their home, and after the bill their house would be worth even less.
Oh wait, the govt will pay for the upgrades on their home.
Hmmm, sounds like a new welfare plan to me.
Bet the govt won't pay for my upgrades.

My house is 40 years old and we will be selling it next year. The windows are 40 years old - not energy efficient. Fireplace insert doesn't meet the date in the bill so points off for that. Appliances in great shape but may not meet the standards. The list goes on. Of course, we do not yet know what the standards will be - they haven't decided those details yet. So, I would be able to sell my house at one price before the bill would go into effect and at a lower price after the bill.
It's more like the opposite - homes with energy updates are worth more. When I sold my house 2 years ago, the energy audit that I'd gotten from the local gas and electric company - showing the overall efficiency of the house - was a big selling point for the people who bought it.

It's the same thing as other updates to a house - Hardie siding instead of the T-111 that was common in my neighborhood, for example - that made my house worth slightly more in an appraisal.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It's more like the opposite - homes with energy updates are worth more. When I sold my house 2 years ago, the energy audit that I'd gotten from the local gas and electric company - showing the overall efficiency of the house - was a big selling point for the people who bought it.

It's the same thing as other updates to a house - Hardie siding instead of the T-111 that was common in my neighborhood, for example - that made my house worth slightly more in an appraisal.
They are going to require homes being sold be updated to meet their efficiency requirements. Up here in New England where most homes are old, that's simply going to destroy the housing market, and lots of historic homes on top of that. And frankly, the modern vinyl windows, etc., are crap. Vinyl expands and contracts differently than glass so they start leaking, the windows will stick at times because of temperature, etc. Most modern windows don't last long. So they end up piling up in landfills, whereas the 130 year old windows in the last house I lived in are still going strong...Just as one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living