Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to see how things are going for the C-D Green Peeps.

I work from home, but use a bicycle (or feet) for ~80% of my errands year round.

For those of you who bike commute year-round : kudos!

For those of you who have been biking in to work this week big cheers!

For those of you new to the concept, but thinking about joining in this Friday (National Bike-to-Work Day) best wishes . If you have any commuting questions post 'em up.

More info:

League of American Bicyclists * Home

Inspiration here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/sc.../12suburb.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I'll pass if you don't mind

It's suppose to be 106 degrees on Friday

Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quckest way to get killed where I live;riding a bike on a freeway.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 AM

413 posts, read 1,368,701 times
I am in the process of finding a bicycle. I figured out the expense of owning a car and would rather save the money and just use pedal power.

It gets hot here but would rather use a bike than have the stress of driving in traffic.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
I bike a bit, but commuting on the bike seems a risk I don't relish. The commuters in cars are dangerous.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Its 50 miles for me one way to town.

I think I'll pass on the bicycles.................

Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,701 times
If you live in a big city where there is public transportation than you can skip bike riding. I wouldn't ride a bike in a big city. Where I live there are a couple busy streets but there are more streets where traffic is very light. The public transportation here sucks big time. People are so attached to their cars. I know people who get in their cars just to drive 1 block to buy a paper.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I bike to work when the weather allows. But I am definitely a fair weather biker. I don't mind heat, or some chill, but can't handle extreme cold, heavy rain, or any wind above a light breeze. Unfortunately, that leaves me only about 60-90 days a year that I can ride, but I do when I can.

Even so, I only go through a tank of gas (10 gallons) about every 6 weeks. I live close to work, grocery stores, doctors, mall, etc. So even if I drive, it usually isn't that far. My longest drive, ironically, is to Curves to work out. I don't ride there, because it is down a very steep hill with no shoulder, no sidewalks, etc. and I don't want to die.

This week it has either rained, or been very windy, every day, so no bike to work for me. Hoping for tomorrow though. Only actually managed 1 day so far this spring. Its been so darn windy.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times
16 miles and very hilly. No thanks.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:54 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Every work day is bike to work day for me. Today was commute day 91 for 2009, out of 91 work days. Last year I had two or three drive automobile to work days, and 221 bike to work days. My "most direct and safe" one way to work distance is about 7 miles. I normally add on about 7 to 8 more miles each way because I enjoy the bike commute so much. How many people do you know that can say "I enjoy my commute so much that I make it twice as long on purpose?". I have been a consistent bike commuter for decades, but the last 9 years of going to and from the same place of residence to the same place of work by bike has exceeded the numbers from previous decades, by far.

No need to set aside time to "get a workout" or "go to the gym". Getting to and from work is my workout and gym. I am a bit spoiled. I live in an area where the temps are rarely below 40F or above 95F, where rain is so scarce that I have only been rained on 5 times this year while commuting to work, and with bike lanes along nearly all of the main artery streets that I use to get around our Orange County metropolis. When I get to work, I have a fully enclosed bike storage locker near the back entrance door that leads to a locker room with showers. A quick shower after getting to work and a quick change of clothes, and I am at my desk ready to work at 8 am, and feel fantastic after a great start to the day. When I get home from work in the evening, any stress or worries about something on the job was left behind miles and miles ago.

Too bad more people don't enjoy the freedom of using a bicycle for transportation. CBB, you are in Munich? Germany is paradise for bicycle commuters, millions of people commute there by bike every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living