Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I drove across the entire state of North Dakota in 2004 on the Interstate. There were several wind turbines alongside the highway and I can tell you, they were NOT ugly. In fact, it was fun to watch them spinning around. It was a nice diversion from the endless prairie that is North Dakota.

I figure that if Boone Pickens -who has made more money than I will ever see- figures that wind power is viable for a portion of our energy needs, then it must be worth pursuing. Again, I think it important to back solar, back wind, back nuclear, back geothermal, back whatever is available to diversify our energy production. Once they get a larger grid up, then multitudes of wind turbines could be connected to that grid. I would put one in if I lived in the prairie zone. They used to pump water and grind grain using those things called wind-mills.
I agree Teak, I quite enjoy watching the wind turbines, especially as you mention, when it's a nice diversion from sometimes endless .. not too exciting scenery.

Was fascinated the first time I saw them around the San Franscisco area.

Haven't read up yet, on how loud they are though. Does it sound similar to wind blowing through boat rigging .. sort of?

One may not want to be living close to a field of the big ones. What of your own personal wind-turbine .. would it be noisey? They don't spin that fast do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Think a little. If your roof was white you'd use less energy to cool your home.
I'd also reflect more & absorb less heat energy. One house isn't meaningful, but a city of white topped roofs vs a city of black topped ones could make a difference.
Its simple in concept. Wait till mid summer & go barefoot onto a black parking lot, then try a grey sidewalk.

Now I'm not saying we should ,mandate white roofs, but a little common sense on both sides can go a long way.

oh oh Tin, you're making sense.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:51 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,841 times
Just checked my electric bill. For the summer I'm paying 1.1 ¢/kWh LESS for renewable electricity than for the brown stuff.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
One may not want to be living close to a field of the big ones. What of your own personal wind-turbine .. would it be noisey? They don't spin that fast do they?
The propeller type that I saw were not spinning that fast. With the windows rolled down, you couldn't make out the sound of the turbines over the sound of the wind rushing by the car. I have also seen screw type turbines that stand vertically and are not very loud. I would probably go with the vertical type at my imagined home on the prairie.

When the world becomes a place too crowded and dangerous for me, I may retire to North Dakota. They used to have a saying: Forty below keeps out the riff-raff. Right now, I am still riff-raff!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Not true, but why let physics interfere with God's word.
Tis true, in the real world w/atmosphere. I excelled in heat transfer. Thermo was a PITA, though.

This reminds me of a debate that rages years ago on the Shelby-Dodge mailing list about whether or not black intercoolers outperformed silver ones.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Tis true, in the real world w/atmosphere. I excelled in heat transfer. Thermo was a PITA, though.

This reminds me of a debate that rages years ago on the Shelby-Dodge mailing list about whether or not black intercoolers outperformed silver ones.
Why don't you lay out the heat transfer equation which demonstrates that an attic that absorbs more heat due to a black roof doesn't get hotter than an attic with a white roof that absorbs less heat.

Moderator cut: No insults

Last edited by vec101; 06-11-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Think a little. If your roof was white you'd use less energy to cool your home.
I'd also reflect more & absorb less heat energy. One house isn't meaningful, but a city of white topped roofs vs a city of black topped ones could make a difference.
Its simple in concept. Wait till mid summer & go barefoot onto a black parking lot, then try a grey sidewalk.

Now I'm not saying we should ,mandate white roofs, but a little common sense on both sides can go a long way.
Think a little? Thanks for the condescending comment, but I've already thought A LOT.

Now I have a suggestion for you. READ MY ENTIRE POST. Then get back to me and explain why - in a cold climate - people shouldn't use BLACK roofs? Then explain to me what color is right in a mid-western home.

The key for BOTH heating and cooling is A PROPERLY INSULATED AND VENTILATED ATTIC.

Don't presume to tell me what to do to save on my heating and cooling costs. If you had ANY idea about what I've already done, you'd be thoroughly embarrassed right about now...

Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Why don't you lay out the heat transfer equation which demonstrates that an attic that absorbs more heat due to a black roof doesn't get hotter than an attic with a white roof that absorbs less heat.

Moderator cut: No insults
No insult taken.

You're neglecting convection cooling. Difference is negligable.

Absorbtivity of the material (asphalt shingles) is vastly greater than the color reflectivity. Color is virtually a non-player.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
No insult taken.

You're neglecting convection cooling. Difference is negligable.

Absorbtivity of the material (asphalt shingles) is vastly greater than the color reflectivity. Color is virtually a non-player.
I'm not neglecting anything.

You're going to have to help me. When I took thermodynamics there wasn't a word "Absorbtivity." While you're at it please reference us to some technical information that asphalt shingles absorb solar radiation based upon some different law of physics. Perhaps you can help us all out with the mathematical definition. You should also check on the word, "albedo" it might be closer to what you are trying to describe.

Also please explain why you think all roofs are shingle and whether your caregorical statement would hold true for metal or membrane roofs.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Think a little? Thanks for the condescending comment, but I've already thought A LOT.

Now I have a suggestion for you. READ MY ENTIRE POST. Then get back to me and explain why - in a cold climate - people shouldn't use BLACK roofs? Then explain to me what color is right in a mid-western home.

The key for BOTH heating and cooling is A PROPERLY INSULATED AND VENTILATED ATTIC.

Don't presume to tell me what to do to save on my heating and cooling costs. If you had ANY idea about what I've already done, you'd be thoroughly embarrassed right about now...
I'll fillin in for Tin. My first comment is a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Why a reflective roof in cool climates. If we are talking the bulk of the US, there's still a summer AC load, which we are trying to reduce. If you're far enough north that there is no AC load then don't worry. This program doesn't apply to you. But why no balance point?
  1. Less hours of sunlight in winter
  2. Sun is lower on horizon in winter so less energy flux even at peak
  3. More cloudy days in winter
  4. Snow on the roof covering the surface a good bit of winter.

Oh a third reason you want a lighter colored roof -- it makes the roof last longer. Roof temperature is a major factor in roof failure. Lower summer roof temperature = longer roof life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living