U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'll fillin in for Tin. My first comment is a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Why a reflective roof in cool climates. If we are talking the bulk of the US, there's still a summer AC load, which we are trying to reduce. If you're far enough north that there is no AC load then don't worry. This program doesn't apply to you. But why no balance point?
  1. Less hours of sunlight in winter
  2. Sun is lower on horizon in winter so less energy flux even at peak
  3. More cloudy days in winter
  4. Snow on the roof covering the surface a good bit of winter.

Oh a third reason you want a lighter colored roof -- it makes the roof last longer. Roof temperature is a major factor in roof failure. Lower summer roof temperature = longer roof life.
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
Yes, it CERTAINLY is!

A light colored roof will make no more than 5 degrees difference in the temperature in your attic. I've owned many different houses with many different styles and colors of shingles. I know of which I speak.

That said, there is one word you're totally ignoring - and that word trumps all roof colors: INSULATION.


If you folks actually knew about construction, and the way the structure of a home is supposed to work, you'd know - without a hint of a doubt - that insulation is a hundred-fold more important than the color of your roof. You'd also know that proper attic ventilation is also a hundred-fold more important than the color of your roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2009, 08:07 AM
 
1,047 posts, read 2,088,246 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Also please explain why you think all roofs are shingle and whether your caregorical statement would hold true for metal or membrane roofs.
I stated it was for asphalt roofing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
 
23,862 posts, read 11,851,588 times
Reputation: 10068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
Yes, it CERTAINLY is!

A light colored roof will make no more than 5 degrees difference in the temperature in your attic. I've owned many different houses with many different styles and colors of shingles. I know of which I speak.

That said, there is one word you're totally ignoring - and that word trumps all roof colors: INSULATION.


If you folks actually knew about construction, and the way the structure of a home is supposed to work, you'd know - without a hint of a doubt - that insulation is a hundred-fold more important than the color of your roof. You'd also know that proper attic ventilation is also a hundred-fold more important than the color of your roof.
My house has a double roof, so to speak. There are two air boundaries and in the attic, 12" of blown in insulation followed by an attic blanket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 AM
 
1,047 posts, read 2,088,246 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks;9247881If you folks actually knew about construction, and the way the structure of a home is [I
supposed[/i] to work, you'd know - without a hint of a doubt - that insulation is a hundred-fold more important than the color of your roof. You'd also know that proper attic ventilation is also a hundred-fold more important than the color of your roof.
Oh, I know. I given up getting the point across...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,244,659 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I stated it was for asphalt roofing.
You do understand that when Sectretary Chu was discussing painting roof white he was focused on flat roofs. Ever seen them shingled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,244,659 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Oh, I know. I given up getting the point across...
We are still waiting for this new equation detailing the your recent discovery in heat transfer -- heat flux does not affect temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,244,659 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
Yes, it CERTAINLY is!

A light colored roof will make no more than 5 degrees difference in the temperature in your attic. I've owned many different houses with many different styles and colors of shingles. I know of which I speak.
So you say, and say, and say.

My deleted post documents a 43 degree rise in Austin Texas. I wish I could show you but posts that disagree with the party line seem not to be allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
So you say, and say, and say.

My deleted post documents a 43 degree rise in Austin Texas. I wish I could show you but posts that disagree with the party line seem not to be allowed.
You know what, I'm tired of wasting time talking sense to you. So never-mind. Believe whatever you want to believe, regardless of the experience of those of us who have been there. Paint your shingles white and forget the attic insulation. Be my guest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,244,659 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You know what, I'm tired of wasting time talking sense to you. So never-mind. Believe whatever you want to believe, regardless of the experience of those of us who have been there. Paint your shingles white and forget the attic insulation. Be my guest.
No I'm in favor of insulating and if appropriate painting or coating the roof. I just re-shingled my house with light colored shingles so painting isn't necessary. I've never actually seen a recommendation that shingles be painted. That was the wacko interpretation of the RW wingnuts. Secretary Chu's program is really for flat roofs.

I love it when people think that actual measurements are secondary to what they "know." Was it Reagan who said, It's not what you don't know that is the problem, it's what you're absolutely sure about that just isn't so.

Never mind the documented measurements. You just keep telling us that only insulation matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Never mind the documented measurements. You just keep telling us that only insulation matters.
Gee, I'd bet that you're now saving AT LEAST 50% on your heating and cooling, as a result of light colored shingles. Or maybe it's just all that hot air circulating around DC.


As for me, I'll go with what is proven. R-38 Insulation, and proper ventilation in the attic. I have the extremely low heat & electricity bills to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top