Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times

Advertisements

Yes, nice post Harry.

I have never seen a firefly actually, but it was lovely envisioning a half-acre of twinkling lights.

.. a nice reminder to stop and smell the roses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Yes, nice post Harry.

I have never seen a firefly actually, but it was lovely envisioning a half-acre of twinkling lights.

Something you need to rectify. Come to the Midwest during summer and you'll see them. Really amazing sight when you are lucky enough to see more than a few together.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM

So I've heard!

Thanks for the invite, .. one of these days hopefully I'll be able to see them.

Also June bugs. Don't they light up also?

In the meantime, will have to make do with my solar-powered dragonfly.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
June bugs don't light up, June Bugs annoy the heck out of you, especially if one happens to land on your tongue, and that happens way more often than anyone would ever think!

Cicadas are another bug we could do without. Noisy critters. Of course I don't notice so much anymore since my ears ring all day every day and a lot of the time they sound like Cicadas!

Ladybugs are good. Well, the reds ones are. The orange ones, not so good if I remember correctly. They eat all the critters you don't want. I leave all but the really large or dangerous spiders in my house alone for the same reason.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,887 times
[quote=stone-ground;9194132] I have never seen a firefly actually, but it was lovely envisioning a half-acre of twinkling lights. quote]

You should come see the fireflies! Take a visit down south... there's gotta be someplace you've been wanting to explore.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Yes, nice post Harry.

Wow, I thought lightening bugs/ fireflies were everywhere in the US.
You are missing a treat seeing them fly around.

Taking a chance on getting scalped here but - when we were kids we would take the lit part off and wear as rings (can't remember but don't think the light lasted long). Yea, seems barbaric now.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:44 AM

So that's the ticket .. visiting the US sometime during mid-summer.

Work is so busy then, but make it once in a blue moon to Oregon during the summer for a few days. Next time, I will be on the look-out for fireflies sparkling away at night.

VEC101, I'm sure they made lovely rings back in the day!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:36 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
I love seeing the fireflies and listening to the whip-poor-wills. A warm summers night, a porch, a glass of iced tea, the stuff of dreams.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,072 times
As I type this, there is this thick fog blanketing a dark green carpet of sheep grazed pasture as droplets of water and vapor drip off the electric fence. Its not much really, a few strands of wire, black insulators and wooden posts, but beneath the functionality there is a rustic appeal to the fence too so iconic of rural life in quaint New England.

Just beyond the fence sheep graze merrily away, their noses to the ground nibbling on tender grass shoots as they take in nourishment or both water and feed. Freshly shown, their wool still contains the stripes of the shears but the magic of wool is its ability to protect ovine and human alike. One breaks the silence as it gives a gentle nicker, and its off-spring comes bounding over to nibble upon grass and then suck at the teat of his mother.

As the Ram lamb suckles, the morning doves call and the squirrels and chipmunks in the forest beyond chatter, occasionally breaking up the silence of the morning.

Far closer lies the television, set to the morning's AgDay report, reporter after meticulously dressed reporter, makes their latest pitch of gloom and doom in the agricultural world. Just outside the door however, where the sheep graze and the ground is laden with moisture, I know all is well. In fact I scoff at the latest planting reports that predict certain apocalypse and raise my mug of coffee to American farmers, small and large alike. I am secure in the knowledge that for another year they will get the crops in and this nation can eat.

All is well in the world this morning my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living