U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:03 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,026,030 times

Advertisements

I'm doing comparison-shopping research for a cordless (battery operated) lawn mower, have narrowed it down to four, and would like opinions from anyone who owns/has owned any of them. Thanks in advance!

Neuton CE 6.2

Worxx Eco24

Solaris or Epic 21"
(these are essentially the same, other than that the Solaris is frontwheel-drive self-propelled and the Epic is rearwheel-drive)

Remington PowerMower, model MPS6017A

As of now I'm leaning toward the Remington because it also has a corded option which boosts the power, supposedly enough to allow it to handle leaves (which will be a must) and small twigs.

The Solaris/Epic is the only self-propelled one but it is also the heaviest, at 124 lbs (no doubt because of the steel deck). The Remington is the lightest at 60 lbs. Weight is a factor because I tried a self-propelled 98 lb gas Toro last weekend that belongs to a friend and had both lower back and shoulder/arm pain for hours afterward. Unfortunately the Remington also has the smallest cutting width: 17" whereas the Neuton is 19" and the Solaris and the Worxx are both 21".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,091,714 times
Google cordless mower comparison. Also look at Amazon and the reviews there. The Black and Decker cmm1000 was pretty highly rated, IIRC.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM

39,476 posts, read 40,787,686 times
As you posted this in the Green forum this article may interest you:

University of Florida News - Engineers: in big picture, gas, cordless mowers equal polluters
Quote:
As a result, “the larger airborne lead emissions from the battery-powered lawn mower’s life cycle compared to the gasoline-powered mower’s implies a far greater risk of both noncarcinogenic and carcinogenic health effects from the battery-powered lawn mowers,” the study says.

Lindner said the problem is compounded when consumers don’t dispose of the battery properly, with the result of a potential leak from a landfill. “One conclusion of this story is we need a better policy for recycling these batteries,” she said.

By far the least polluting mowers were the corded variety, where pollution was limited to that caused by the power plant. But these mowers seem to suffer from an intractable image problem, Lindner noted. “Talk to some guys and gals about corded mowers and they’ll just curl their lips in protest,” she said.
That article is assuming you have lead acid battery in the lawn mower. .......so if you're making this decision based on being green you may want to investigate what type of battery each lawn mower uses or get a corded one.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:41 PM

That's a good question about the battery types, so I went back and looked each one up. All but the Workx mower say they use sealed lead/acid batteries (the Workx site does not give the exact type of battery but I assume it is also the same).

I confess my primary reasons for wanting a cordless mower are (1) I have always absolutely hated gas-powered tools of any type (the smell, the noise, the whole mess of working with or on a gas/oil engine) and (2) due to problems with my right arm I cannot manage a pull-start mower, thus need an electric-start, and the only two gas mower brands I'd be interested in (Toro or Honda) would cost either $700 or $800 (plus over 8% sales tax!) respectively for their electric-start models. That's a big chunk of change for a tool that I would hate the process of using and maintaining. The cordless mowers at least all have easy electric starts, are quiet, and don't require messing with petroleum products!

I was assuming/hoping that there would be more people on the Green forum who'd be likely to own a battery-powered mower than members on the general Garden or House forums...

I did check out the Amazon and other review sites (although Neuton does not sell through Amazon, only direct, so no help there) but was frustrated by the fact that while there are plenty of comments about how the various mowers do on GRASS, not ONE person commented on how these mowers handle leaves and/or small twigs! Obviously those are no problem for a gas mower but that's not what I want to buy. And since I would be mowing/bagging/dumping my mower-shredded autumn leaves into leafmould-making bins, that's an important consideration.

I have read a couple of general comments that "cordless mowers don't have enough power to handle leaves... only grass" but none were specific enough for me to base a decision on. That's why I was hoping for some firsthand info from users here.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
and the only two gas mower brands I'd be interested in (Toro or Honda) would cost either $700 or $800 (plus over 8% sales tax!) respectively for their electric-start models. .
Keep in mind that's not a Wal-Mart lawn mower, Any good brand like that or others like Snapper and Ariens is usually a once in a lifetime purchase. I used to work in mower shop for short time during HS, ususally the easiest way to tell a good lawn mower from a cheap lawn mower is look at how the wheels are mounted and the thickness of the deck metal. The good ones all had axles with bearings and a much beefier deck. If you look at any of these old lawn mowers going into the trash the engine is still running fine but everthing else is falling apart.

Husqvarna makes robotic electric mowers,

Robotic Lawn Mowers for Homeowners | Husqvarna Automowerâ„¢

Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Keep in mind that's not a Wal-Mart lawn mower, Any good brand like that or others like Snapper and Ariens is usually a once in a lifetime purchase. I used to work in mower shop for short time during HS, ususally the easiest way to tell a good lawn mower from a cheap lawn mower is look at how the wheels are mounted and the thickness of the deck metal. The good ones all had axles with bearings and a much beefier deck. If you look at any of these old lawn mowers going into the trash the engine is still running fine but everthing else is falling apart.

Husqvarna makes robotic electric mowers,

Robotic Lawn Mowers for Homeowners | Husqvarna Automowerâ„¢
Wow, I never realized Husqvarna was involved in such devices. I'm going to be near the city of Jönshöping at the end of the month and the town Husqvarna is only about 5 or 10 minutes away. Maybe I should pop over and see what they've got.

Now if someone really wants to be REALLY SUPER Green, then I suggest the get one of these models.

http://www.hometip.net/images/push-lawnmower.jpg (broken link)

Got to keep it cleaned oiled and lubed regularly and it'll work just fine if you've got that simple and easy lawn.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 AM

Well for the record I'd imagine they are not so green, besides the lead issue as I understand they are mindless and you simply set a boundary and they go around cutting within the boundary.

As far as the push lawnmowers go I saw a really good idea posted on another forum (video forum of all places) where they had one attached to a mountain bike.

If I was going to go the push route that would be what I would be looking at.

The Cutting Edge: Bicycle Lawnmowing : TreeHugger

Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Husqvarna makes robotic electric mowers
Wow, and I was complaining about the prices of the Toro and Honda..!

It figures that some company would come up with the equivalent of a "lawn Roomba" though, LOL!

All kidding aside, I suspect that even if those were affordable they would not work well in any of the yards that I own/will own because of my penchant for having planting beds everywhere, and not only nice straight-line-front perimenter ones either. I'm big on island beds and suchlike. I can't imagine how the Husqvarna could possibly be programmed so as to not end up intruding into planting beds and decapitating things.

I actually briefly considered a push mower but don't like the look of long clippings (as opposed to the fine-mulching action of a powered mower) staying on the grass. Also I confess that I have never had one of those lush carpetlike "all-grass" lawns... there is always a fairly larger percentage of things like clover, crabgrass, and other its-green-but-its-not-grass denizens, because I don't use chemicals and such. Not sure how well a push mower would handle anything tougher than those dainty little grass blades!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I actually briefly considered a push mower but don't like the look of long clippings (as opposed to the fine-mulching action of a powered mower) staying on the grass.
It should chop it pretty good, as I understand it it's the best type of lawnmower you can use for the health of a lawn. The scissoring action of the cutting blade being one reason why as it gives you perfect cut.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,091,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Wow, I never realized Husqvarna was involved in such devices. I'm going to be near the city of Jönshöping at the end of the month and the town Husqvarna is only about 5 or 10 minutes away. Maybe I should pop over and see what they've got.

Now if someone really wants to be REALLY SUPER Green, then I suggest the get one of these models.

Got to keep it cleaned oiled and lubed regularly and it'll work just fine if you've got that simple and easy lawn.
Those are fine and dandy for a very small lawn with no long grass, weeds, leaves, or twigs, but pretty useless for much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living