U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:23 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I drive my Porsche instead of my Yukon on weekends...
Great answer! This thread has gotten very self-righteous. I conserve energy (my own) by taking a nap almost every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,368 times
Default I have converted my car

i am currently testing my car to run on water and petrol combined.... [FONT=tahoma][SIZE=2]its a pretty simple process and although i am not trialing it on my Lexus yet... i do have an older run around car which i have converted and so far... so good[/SIZE][/FONT]... not sure yet if i'd ever do it with the Lexus... though i think car companies should look into this

visit the articles
[url=http://read-free-articles.com/cars/how-to-modify-your-car-cheaply-to-run-on-water.html]Driving Tips for you[/url]

Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,860,965 times
I leave the environment alone. It's been doing OK for thousands and thousands of years before some started "taking care of it"; it'll be fine for many more if only left alone.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM

10,512 posts, read 10,302,337 times
Let's see, I have replaced all my incandescent lights with compact fluorescent, got rid of my gas furnace and put in a geothermal system, my wife uses the cloth recyclable bags when she goes to store, I don't put any kind of fertilizer on my lawn, no sense creating more work for myself, converting my pickup to be able to use the E85 fuel, and planting more trees.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,451,270 times
I do most of the usual ... recycle, conserve energy and water usage in my home, drive less and walk more. I like to stay away from harsh chemicals as much as I can.
This year I'm hoping to install a tankless water heater. I'm also setting up a compost in the back garden as well as rain barrels.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:03 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,801,222 times
I can always do more but I am going to continue living as simply as I can.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,767 times
- recycle everything I can
- compost
- reusable shopping bags
- eat as much vegetarian diet and local foods as possible
- cloth diapering our son since birth
- buy very little "stuff", mostly used items
- short car trips eliminated, ride my bike instead
- cooler house in the winter, warmer in the summer
- DH makes his own beer (wonder how this is environmentally friendly? bottles get recycled at home)
- CFL light-bulbs
- unplug electronics
- cancel magazine subsricptions and read at the library instead
- combine errands to one big trip
- recycled toilet paper

Oh the list goes on and on.. Yes, I am a tree-hugger.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,801,222 times
I'm not really a 'tree-hugger' but I have always believed 'Less is More'.

Live simply. LOL, my family never had much and that is what they had to do to survive.

Wish others had felt so strongly years ago.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,159,390 times
More self-righteousness:

Recycle everything nearly.

Reuse store bags over and over, make all my own rags from old towels, etc.

Use energy efficient bulbs.

Have used car. Always drive, never fly (rarely).

Grow my own herbs/potage (til I buy land and can have my own garden).

Don't ever throw away usable items, they go to GoodWill or Salvation Army.

Only use heat/air conditioning if absolutely needed. Most of the time I keep the windows open to fresh air, that includes summer and winter.

Don't have a microwave, never use the dishwasher, rarely use the vacuum. On hands and knees to clean wood floors. Cold water wash, would use a clothes line if I had a yard!

Make most of my own cleaning "agents": vinegar and water, baking soda, etc.

Rarely go out to eat or other expensive entertainment (theatres, sports games, concerts, etc). Much more fun to camp and hike. Or visit a museum, outdoor gardens, old forts/ghost towns/national landmarks.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM

951 posts, read 1,312,483 times
One, I don't use those stupid plastic bags from the store. My local market (Stop and Shop) now sells a canvas-like bag for .99 cents. I keep at least one in my car, so even when I go to a different store, I bring it in. We bring about 8-10 of them when we shop. They seem to be very durable and well worth the money.

Two, I recycle everything! A household of four and I only have one kitchen garbage bag to bring to the transfer station every week. Everything else gets recycled or composted. One of the things I did was cancell my newspaper subscription. I just get my news on line or on the TV. I haven't missed a thing noteworthy. The food scraps have created some very rich compost for my three veggie gardens.

This is the one thing that I believe is of great importance and easy to do. But, sadly, we here in the US like to over package everything, and then just chuck it in the trash. You know, out of sight out of mind. We really don't give a darn about where it goes, as long it's no longer in our hands. Just look outside of a local convienence store: discarded scratch tickets, cigarette butts by the thousands, fast food wrappers, etc. It's disgusting. I live in a rural subdivison with very little traffic. The other day while walking my daughter to the bus stop, I happened to notice the butts in my grass along the road. In a forty foot section of my lawn, I counted 16 butts. That's gross! If I were closer to town, I could only imagine what the count would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or