Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times

Advertisements

Home - Global Warming Petition Project

31,000 scientists have signed the petition. They say that: There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

Are they lying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

31,000 scientists have signed the petition. They say that: There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

Are they lying?
No.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
I do not know if they are. However, they just as human as anyone and they can be biased on their conclusions about subjects like this one even though I do agree with what they state.

I will venture to guess that some staunch believer of globar warming will say they are, probably paid by big bucks companies to say that. I have read and hear that a lot from many of them and the same from others on the other side of the issue.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 07-17-2009, 03:08 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
They may be all scientists, but are they all sufficiently informed about this particular scientific area to make those statements?

I searched a few of the "O" names on the petition. One has a Ph.D in physical geography - maybe. One is an historian - nope. Another has a Ph.D in chemistry - I don't think so. One's a doctor of medicine, another is a veterinarian, another is a retired physicist .....

I'm not saying that they are lying. But anyone can sign a petition, and just because someone self-identifies as a "scientist" doesn't necessarily mean they are knowledgeable enough to speak authoritatively about climate change.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
They may be all scientists, but are they all sufficiently informed about this particular scientific area to make those statements?

I searched a few of the "O" names on the petition. One has a Ph.D in physical geography - maybe. One is an historian - nope. Another has a Ph.D in chemistry - I don't think so. One's a doctor of medicine, another is a veterinarian, another is a retired physicist .....

I'm not saying that they are lying. But anyone can sign a petition, and just because someone self-identifies as a "scientist" doesn't necessarily mean they are knowledgeable enough to speak authoritatively about climate change.
Yea, this petition was debunked a couple of years ago IIRC. I read a net article about a group of scientists who don't specialize in climate change that signed the petition to see if it would be allowed. And yep, that was the case.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:38 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Global Warming is BIG BUSINESS, and its principle scare-mongers are reaping vast financial windfalls. Al Gore, for instance, has made hundreds of millions of dollars playing Chicken Little.

Always follow the money trail.

Are all those scientists - cited in the OP - lying? Nope? There are some who are more qualified than others. But the bottom line is that there is NO CONSENSUS ON GLOBAL WARMING.

That said, I fully intend to continue to live as green as possible. It's the right thing to do.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Another has a Ph.D in chemistry - I don't think so. One's a doctor of medicine, another is a veterinarian, another is a retired physicist ......

Certainly a Chemist and especially a Physicist could contribute to his debate? Having said that I would label that list dubious at best. I've seen that list before but as I refuse to fall into the propagand trap no matter which side it's coming from I haven't given it any credence. If it's a list you seek here you go:

Quote:
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...d-6e2d71db52d9

U. S. Senate Minority Report:
More Than 700 International Scientists Dissent Over
Man-Made Global Warming Claims
Scientists Continue to Debunk “Consensus” in 2008 &

This Senate report is not a “list” of scientists, but a report that includes full biographies of
each scientist and their quotes, papers and links for further reading. The scientists featured
in the report express their views in their own words, complete with their intended subtleties
and caveats. This Senate report features the names, biographies, academic/institutional
affiliation, and quotes of literally hundreds of additional international scientists who
publicly dissented from man-made climate fears. This report lists the scientists by name,
country of residence, and academic/institutional affiliation. It also features their own
words, biographies, and weblinks to their peer reviewed studies, scientific analyses and
original source materials as gathered from directly from the scientists or from public
statements, news outlets, and websites in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

The distinguished scientists featured in this new report are experts in diverse fields,
including: climatology; geology; biology; glaciology; biogeography; meteorology;
oceanography; economics; chemistry; mathematics; environmental sciences; astrophysics,
engineering; physics and paleoclimatology. Some of those profiled have won Nobel Prizes
for their outstanding contribution to their field of expertise and many shared a portion of
the UN IPCC Nobel Peace Prize with Vice President Gore. Additionally, these scientists
hail from prestigious institutions worldwide, including: Harvard University; NASA;
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Center for
Atmospheric Research (NCAR); Massachusetts Institute of Technology; the UN IPCC; the
Danish National Space Center; U.S. Department of Energy; Princeton University; the
Environmental Protection Agency; University of Pennsylvania; Hebrew University of
Jerusalem; the International Arctic Research Centre; the Pasteur Institute in Paris; the
Belgian Weather Institute; Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute; the University of
Helsinki; the National Academy of Sciences of the U.S., France, and Russia; the University
of Pretoria; University of Notre Dame; Abo Akademi University in Finland; University of
La Plata in Argentina; Stockholm University; Punjab University in India; University of
Melbourne; Columbia University; the World Federation of Scientists; and the University of
London.
Here's a sample:

Quote:
“Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can
speak quite frankly….As a scientist I remain skeptical...The main basis of the claim that
man’s release of greenhouse gases is the cause of the warming is based almost entirely
upon climate models. We all know the frailty of models concerning the air-surface
system.” - Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson, the first woman in the world to
receive a PhD in meteorology, and formerly of NASA, who has authored more than 190
studies and has been called “among the most preeminent scientists of the last 100 years.”

Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Don't get me wrong- I live 'green' because I like to focus on the intellectual, the physical, nature and not the material. I don't believe in corporatism, and I think that 'green' has gone corporate.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,424 times
Quote:

Are they lying?
Where is this petition? Can it be viewed online?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I don't believe in corporatism, and I think that 'green' has gone corporate.
Well if you want to solve environmental issues you'll need business to take actions. Having said that what else would expect? Certainly if company is taking steps to be enviromentally friendly whether by choice or regulation they are going to try and capitalize on that as being green is the "In" thing right now. The environmental poster boy Al Gore stands to make hundreds of millions if not billions if what he supports is passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living