Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
There are a few organic products that I buy for various reasons, and most of them are only slightly more expensive than their standard counterparts. I buy organic lettuce because I get more usable food from it. When I buy a regular head, half of it is usually inedible. I buy a certain type of organic mustard simply because it's the only Dijon mustard I've found that I like. It's actually cheaper than many of the other Dijons at my store, but of course it cost more than plain old yellow mustard (but not much!). I buy a certain type of organic cereal because I like the taste, and it takes less of it to fill me up. It, too, is only slightly more expensive than the regular cereal I used to buy, but I eat less of it at a time so it may actually be cheaper. I buy organic dish washing liquid (though I'm skeptical about how "organic" it could be) because it doesn't leave a weird chemical taste in my glasses. Again, it's only slightly more than other name brand dish washing liquids.
All these things make perfect sense. The key is to know what you're eating and what you're using.

I don't have to use expensive Windex to wash windows. Vinegar & water works better. And vinegar water & baking soda works great for most cleaning.

It's also important to know that a LOT of products that claim to be "Organic" are not organic at all. It's dishonest labeling. They're just cashing in on the craze.

People simply need to be smart. Don't believe all the alarmist hype, because there's always an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
I should add that I don't really know how "organic" any of those products really are, I just use them because, through trial and error, they are the products I found I liked the most. Naturally I use many more products that don't claim to be organic. I should also add that I just looked at the dish washing liquid again, and it actually only says "natural", no mention of "organic".

Old 08-01-2009, 09:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Prophylactic use of antibiotics (and in feed) in animals is a HUGE problem and just getting bigger - look at the new mersa strain, MRSA ST398, that has managed to spread world-wide. Overuse in humans is bad enough, but using it in animals to get them fatter faster in industrial conditions (for no medical reason) is just unacceptable practice.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 08-01-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
People do the best they can. We try to make the soil as organic as possible. That's all we can do. I buy free range organic eggs. They have deep orange yolks. I have purchased mainstream eggs, and they have pale yellow yolks with watery whites. The chickens lead miserable lives on factory farms. They don't get fresh greens, and they don't get to be chickens except to lay eggs in a cramped cage, and end up in carnivore stew. It's ironic to hear meat farmers boast about how "kind' they are to their animals before they kill them violently. But that's another subject.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I should add that I don't really know how "organic" any of those products really are, I just use them because, through trial and error, they are the products I found I liked the most. Naturally I use many more products that don't claim to be organic. I should also add that I just looked at the dish washing liquid again, and it actually only says "natural", no mention of "organic".
Yeah, I really don't know how a dish-washing liquid could be "organic."

On my way back home this morning, I stopped by a local farmers' market and picked up some sweet corn. We're also picking beans, peas, peppers, summer squash and tomatoes out of our garden.

The important thing is to know where your food is coming from, and what's really involved.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Prophylactic use of antibiotics (and in feed) in animals is a HUGE problem and just getting bigger - look at the new mersa strain, MRSA ST398, that has managed to spread world-wide. Overuse in humans is bad enough, but using it in animals to get them fatter faster in industrial conditions (for no medical reason) is just unacceptable practice.
Antibiotics in animals do NOT cause them to grow faster. That's like thinking your kids will grow taller if you have them on amoxicillin all the time.

You need better sources. Some random claim that livestock are being "pumped full of antibiotics" is utterly ridiculous. It doesn't happen.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
People do the best they can. We try to make the soil as organic as possible. That's all we can do. I buy free range organic eggs. They have deep orange yolks. I have purchased mainstream eggs, and they have pale yellow yolks with watery whites. The chickens lead miserable lives on factory farms. They don't get fresh greens, and they don't get to be chickens except to lay eggs in a cramped cage, and end up in carnivore stew. It's ironic to hear meat farmers boast about how "kind' they are to their animals before they kill them violently. But that's another subject.
The color of the yokes and thickness of the liquid in eggs has more to do with how old the eggs are, then where they came from.

We had chickens when we lived on our acreage. We'd gather the eggs in the morning. We could walk back into the house, crack an egg in the skillet, and it'd sit there nearly 1/4 inch thick. But if we set the eggs in the refrigerator for 2 weeks, they'd get runny - just like eggs you get in a grocery store.

And by the way, the "violent" way animals are slaughtered is actually far more humane and painless than the way 90% of all humans die. Again, people need to stop listening to they hype and researching the facts.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,547,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
This is just ridiculous. Do you even know what a live cow, or pig, or chicken looks like? I mean, seriously, this post reeks of some city kid who knows absolutely nothing about agricultural processes. You've just read some tripe on an alarmist site.

Thanks for the complement- a kid at 46
Actually family have a hill farming background and I've also seen pictures in books-so I do know what they look like.

Let me give a real-life example from a real-life farmer, who happens to be my 73-year old dad.
So are you saying that every non-organic farmer farms like your Father?

Dad feeds his cattle alfalfa hay and corn. The only supplement in the feed is protein pellets extruded from soybeans. Grass fed cattle produce better meat with higher vit content
He pours Ivomec down the middle of their backs to keep their skin clean and to keep them from having worms literally bore into their flesh. The only time these cattle receive any antibiotics is if they are sick - which is very, very rare.

I can give you, and every other ignorant city-slicker, a 100% guarantee that if you take some of the beef from my dad's farm to a laboratory they will find NOTHING in that beef that is not in organic beef. Absolutely nothing.

Now... If you want to believe otherwise, that's fine. Feel free to support organic farmers, who are laughing all the way to the bank, on the shoulders of ignorant city folks.
Do you know anything about battery hen farming-it's common knowledge how they are reared.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Antibiotics in animals do NOT cause them to grow faster. That's like thinking your kids will grow taller if you have them on amoxicillin all the time.

You need better sources. Some random claim that livestock are being "pumped full of antibiotics" is utterly ridiculous. It doesn't happen.

Sorry but they do-that's why they are used, plus the battery animals are so stressed their immune system doesn't function correctly and they are prone to infections.They add them to the feed.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Examples please. And not from some alarmist site, but a credible source.

Then I want you to show how "organic" would have made ANY difference.

They were feeding cows animal products.Cows are herbivores.
My point wasn't about organic v non organic-it was regarding your comment re-listening to the farmers who know-or something along those lines.
As regards foot and mouth farmers were shipping the same sheep from one farm to another over a huge are on a daily basis so they could get more gov subsidies when the guy came to count their sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living