U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,186,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
100 miles is crap, as is a "few hours" to recharge. Useless for anything but very short town trips, or a short commuter, and if that's all you're buying it for...well, that's a lot of money to pay for something with such limited use.

I'll buy electric when they put one out that can make cross country trips in the same amount of time that a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle can.
I can't agree completely, though I know where coming from.

It is asinine to think that Americans are going to spend $25,000 on an electric car when we also need to buy another car to do what the $25,000 electric car can't do. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, it's going to be on one vehicle - only one - and it's going to have to handle all my needs. That is one of the main reasons pickups are so popular.

On the other hand, if a company could put out CHEAP electric commuter cars - cars that would get people to work and back each day, then recharge at night - they might be onto something. But those cars are going to have to cost $2,500 or less, or people won't buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 12,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
100 miles is crap, as is a "few hours" to recharge. Useless for anything but very short town trips, or a short commuter, and if that's all you're buying it for...well, that's a lot of money to pay for something with such limited use.

I'll buy electric when they put one out that can make cross country trips in the same amount of time that a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle can.
While it would not work for me it would be perfect for my wife whose car I am getting ready to replace. The one she has is 11 years old and has 75,000 total miles. She isn't a big driver and those couple times a year she does have to travel over 100 miles she cons me into taking her.

Never as a primary or only vehicle. But what a kick in the rear to OPEC. Imagine if a third the vehicles on the road ran electric.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:13 PM

10,137 posts, read 12,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
One that probably costs 2-3 times the cost of the car.

It's impossible to say what size array you'd need, but seeing how they're recommending a 220v circuit to avoid an all-night charge requirement, let's assume the "normal" charge uses a 20A, 120V circuit for 8 hours. In that case, you'd be drawing 2,400 watts for 8 hours, or 19,200 watts.
Well, as much as I would get a kick out of doing it it obviously wouldn't pay.

But 19,200 watts... I pay $0.12 a kilowatt so a 100 mile "fill up" would run me $2.30 by my figuring. Sweet.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM

537 posts, read 261,984 times
It's a new concept and a new product. We need to give it time.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:55 AM

3,966 posts, read 9,420,954 times
I'd buy that car, but my concern is how fast it charges. If it takes 8 hours, for me that would be too long. The other concern is lack of plug in stations around the United States. If i go in the grocery store for an hour, that is an hour worth of charging i could have been doing.

I do agree they need to go for longer like one of tesla's cars. 350 miles or even 200 miles would mean less energy consumption needed to charge the car. But efficiency only comes with time.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:39 PM

867 posts, read 1,842,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The Volt, while being obnoxiously priced, is still the better solution. I would prefer a car that I can drive 40 miles on a battery, have the small gas engine kick in for the next 300 (if I remember right), fill up the tank, and keep going indefinitely. At night, pull out the charge cable snake it into the motel room and charge her up for the next 40 miles. Put a set of those new flexible solar panels I saw somewhere on the roof, following the curve of the car, and charge the batteries while driving.

A car like this, while still using gas, would get you across the entire U.S. if needed. Meanwhile it does a great job of getting you around town.

Now if they get the cost to half of the expected...
I second this

Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,218,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Is it possible to travel 100 miles in a day?
My wife and I EACH average around 750 miles a week. Last week, I did 1200 miles.

Yes, it is possible to travel 100 miles in a day

And no, I will not be buying one of these cars.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,584,716 times
Nissan did a lot of research and found that the 100 mile limitation will work for a majority of the drivers.

In my home we have two vehicles, a minivan and a hybrid. My wife drives the kids to school and does some errands, probably putting no more than 30-40 miles a day on the minivan. I drive the hybrid to work, 20 miles R/T.

So the Leaf would fit as a second car in my family, keep the minivan for longer trips.

All "early-adopter" items that come from manufacturers are more expensive at first. Got to give chops to Nissan for taking the first step. This probably won't be a cash cow for them, but the are looking forward to the future at least.

I'm also no fan of Al Gore, but we have to get off the foreign oil addiction sooner than later.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Many people have two cars and one is used mostly for ineer city driving. For those with normal mialeage to work thsi would be a solution to saving quite a bit. It wouldn't be for everybody but like trucks some juts don't need or want one as their regular driver. if they fill the commuter niche they have a sucess.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,218,716 times
Like others - I give Kudos to Nissan for rolling out this car. It will serve many people very nicely.

Same with the Chevrolet Volt

The only thing that, IMO, has to happen is - they have to get the price down so that more people will be encouraged to purchase them -

But, that will happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or