U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,738,526 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what it costs for one charge? How long do the batteries last? What is the cost for battery disposal?

Playing devil's advocate here....What do you think the cap and trade untility hikes will do to the demand for electric cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,738,526 times
One more devil's advocate question here. How much strain do you think electric vehicles will put on an already strained grid?

I'm really curious as to how charging an electric car compares to, say, running a household appliance. My electric is billed per kilowatt hour. Anyone know how many kilowatt hours are needed to fully charge an electric vehicle?

I hope we have the sense to get the infrastructure in place to handle a signficant number of electric vehicles on the road before we actually put them on the road.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,117,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Is it possible to travel 100 miles in a day?
You must not have kids?

Seriously, we do not always drive that much of course, but yes, with 2 adults in school full time sharing a car, plus part time jobs, plus 3 kids in school, one of those kids with his own part time job, plus errands, it's pretty easy to rack up the miles.

I am with others in thinking it's a step in the right direction and I would consider it if/when the priced dropped. Just because I never buy anything when it is brand new and at it's most expensive.

I think that's the dumbest name ever though... the "Leaf", was it?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:36 AM

10,133 posts, read 12,385,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Nissan did a lot of research and found that the 100 mile limitation will work for a majority of the drivers.

In my home we have two vehicles, a minivan and a hybrid. My wife drives the kids to school and does some errands, probably putting no more than 30-40 miles a day on the minivan. I drive the hybrid to work, 20 miles R/T.

So the Leaf would fit as a second car in my family, keep the minivan for longer trips.

All "early-adopter" items that come from manufacturers are more expensive at first. Got to give chops to Nissan for taking the first step. This probably won't be a cash cow for them, but the are looking forward to the future at least.

I'm also no fan of Al Gore, but we have to get off the foreign oil addiction sooner than later.
If you are married who doesn't have a second car anymore?

The farthest I've known my wife to drive is an outlet mall 33 miles down the road from us. Most of the time she never leaves town and, most of the time, she would have all she wanted if she charged it once a week.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 AM

28,240 posts, read 39,895,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
One more devil's advocate question here. How much strain do you think electric vehicles will put on an already strained grid?

I'm really curious as to how charging an electric car compares to, say, running a household appliance. My electric is billed per kilowatt hour. Anyone know how many kilowatt hours are needed to fully charge an electric vehicle?

I hope we have the sense to get the infrastructure in place to handle a signficant number of electric vehicles on the road before we actually put them on the road.
The majority of charging should be at night - when the electricity is being generated but not used. Therefore the result will be electricity that is now "wasted" will be utilized. They don't shut down generators overnight.

At some point I would expect daytime usage to go up when parking garages, businesses, malls, etc start offering the option as a benefit to using their services or going to work for them. Hopefully the solar industry will be mature enough by then to handle a portion of this demand. I know if I ran a business and was going to offer daytime charging solar would be my first option.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:49 PM

48,106 posts, read 45,484,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My wife and I EACH average around 750 miles a week. Last week, I did 1200 miles.

Yes, it is possible to travel 100 miles in a day

And no, I will not be buying one of these cars.
I find it hard to believe. I figure the only way that could happen is if you commute to work from a far away suburb. I have a hard time seeing it because I don't drive and the persons in my family who do drive live no further than 25 miles away from their destination.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:32 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,202,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I find it hard to believe. I figure the only way that could happen is if you commute to work from a far away suburb. I have a hard time seeing it because I don't drive and the persons in my family who do drive live no further than 25 miles away from their destination.
It is a minimum of 50 miles each way to our offices for each of us. That is a total of 1000 miles if we do nothing but go to our offices and NOTHING else - and do absolutely NOTHING over the weekends. But the weekends find us in Flagstaff or San Diego, or Las Vegas or ......

So for us - it is NORMAL to put on that many miles

Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,298,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

When a city as big as Houston starts plugging in 150,000 cars at night it will put a strain on the electric grid..

Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM

269 posts, read 695,150 times
I was looking at getting a Prius, but if Nissan can price this car comparable to that I would really consider getting one. My wife has a Camry that we could use for our long road trips, and this car could take care of our drives to work and around town.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:02 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,217,975 times
Nissan rolls out electric car at new headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo News
Nissan has promised that the Leaf, which goes into mass-production as a global model in 2012, will be about the same price as a gas-engine car such as the 1.5 million yen ($15,000) Tiida, which sells abroad as the Versa, starting at about $10,000.

Translated:

This car will be around $10k except in the US where we will charge $30k+ just because we can.

That's what they always do and it's state specific too. The Hybrid is almost twice the price in California than it is in other states. Crazy markups, and this Leaf will be no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or